Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU Election

Options
  • 29-03-2014 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

anyone know who is running?
    there was a page here by seamus noonan but he deleted it, possibly due to bad feedback he was getting over sending those emails?

is ginger young running?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 strata17

I saw seamus outside the SU yesterday, but didn't see ginge. Did the PSU make any announcement through their fb or twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Evergreen23

strata17 wrote: »
    I saw seamus outside the SU yesterday, but didn't see ginge. Did the PSU make any announcement through their fb or twitter?

Can't see anything on the Facebook page! Last post was on 6th March with reference to Charity week. Previous post was on 17th February regarding the elections information.

There might be something on the website but I can't find the website address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 strata17

The url I had bookmarked for the PSU was http://www.postgrads.ie/ but it's not loading. Anybody get a sight of a manifesto for any of the candidates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 oogieboogieA

Saw this on campus today. I checked out his manifesto through the link and seems very good :) Definitely an improvement on that old su/psu clique

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Perpetual Student

I heard from a few people Tony Sheridan was running? Anyone know any more about that? Seamus Noonan seems to be the only one visible at the moment (but nominations only closed Friday I think)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Well_Then

The two official candidates from what I've heard are Seamus Noonan and Kieran Foley.

Seamus has been campaigning actively since Friday but from what I've heard has pissed off a lot of people due to spamming facebook and the likes.

Kieran, I've been informed has been held back from campaigning due to private family matters that urgently required him to return home.

Although Seamus is already actively campaigning I believe his manifesto is rather weak. It's rather over the top and full of little holes (One point he made, while not the largest but I found quite funny is the mention of ques in the PSU...Since when?)

Edit-
    Saw this on campus today. I checked out his manifesto through the link and seems very good :) Definitely an improvement on that old su/psu clique

This person, having registered today and with only one post is most certainly not a plant!
    I heard from a few people Tony Sheridan was running? )

Tony is not running I've been informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 noonanpsu.

Hi Well_Then, thank you for your contribution to this thread. I feel with my direction I can enhance and instigate real reform within the PSU. I am a current postgraduate student and I frequent the PSU common room almost daily. Since there is only 1 microwave in use, queues are common at peak times (10am, and 1pm), if a person were only to have a few minutes lunch they would be left with little time if they need to use the microwave. It is my intention to provide more catering equipment in the PSU and also to establish other PSU social rooms around campus, to accommodate for students who may be located on another part of the campus. I would like to convey to everyone that this element will only be a small part of the improvements that will be noticed if I am elected.

I welcome any feedback and hope to meet with as many people in person over the coming days. I have secured a stand in the red raisin and will try to man it as much as reasonably possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Moxy Shazbot

You just need to stop right now. There is no PSU/SU clique, they work together. The PSU also has its own exec. Are they a clique too because they work together.

Trolololol

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Moxy Shazbot

noonanpsu. wrote: »
    It is my intention to provide more catering equipment in the PSU and also to establish other PSU social rooms around campus, to accommodate for students who may be located on another part of the campus.

Hi,

Quick question. How do you plan on securing these rooms? And also who will man them so they are specifically for PSU students?

How much more equipment? or simply just one microwave?

Is there any in the budget for this?

Could you also post your manifesto if possible all I can gather online is your poster.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Well_Then

Since there is only 1 microwave in use, queues are common at peak times (10am, and 1pm)/ It is my intention to provide more catering equipment in the PSU and also to establish other PSU social rooms around campus, to accommodate for students who may be located on another part of the campus.

Hey sorry if it feels like I'm picking on you but does the Kemmy not have one of these rooms already?

Also you mention a day off once a week for taught postgrad students. Both in my course and most others that I know we already get this.

Health, Careers and Diversity sections of your manifesto are very...well hollow.

For Health you speak about providing information on nutrition, stress relief and providing access to mental health services. Besides the nutrition does the counselling service not do a pretty good job at this already (Seeing as it's their job). I hate to poke at you but the way you put it seems as if there is none at the moment.

The providing more part time jobs on campus for postgrads is a fairy promise. You most can certainly call for it but everyone including yourself knows it's not going to happen.

The Diversity part I kinda giggled at. UL does a great job of this already as those the International society and International office.

There are a few other areas I'm quite skeptical about as well however as it's only your short manifesto I'll give it leeway.

Again don't mean to pick on you. I'm out this week due to a lovely flu so it's my only place to badger folk.

• Advertisement

Hi Moxy Shazbot, I'm proposing to have rooms designated for PSU use in other parts of the campus. My reasoning and concern behind this matter is that the North side of the campus (GEMS) is really quite some distance from the PSU common room, and unfortunately for that reason many student don't use the PSU room. Measures will be introduced to ensure that postgraduates and GEMS are the sole users of these rooms.

In terms of what additional equipment will be installed, this will be dependent on what suggestions are brought forward and have the greatest demand for. I will absolutely insist that the budget will accommodate for expenses associated with this new equipment, and also to cover the cost of coffee, tea, milk, etc., over the course of the year.

My full and abbreviated manifesto are both available to view online at noonanpsu.wordpress.com, also please find a copy of the abbreviated manifesto attached to this post.

I welcome any further feedback or contributions you may be able to offer, and would like to thank you for asking the questions you did.
    Best regards, Seamus.

Hi Well_Then, firstly let me thank you for your question and please don't apologise. I fully welcome any feedback and value the opportunity, as others may have the same questions that you've asked.

I am not aware of a PSU room with the Kemmy Business School. Yes, you're a correct that the majority of taught postgraduates do in fact have either one of more than one day off per week (mon-fri), however I have, and know of several students that in fact have a full week of lectures. Not only does this prove troublesome for those who commute a vast distance for a 1 or 2 hour lecture, but it also places additional pressure on students where this is not necessary. I will be adamant that timetables are optimised to ensure students perform at their very best.

In reference to Health, I will seek to establish a fitness program and healthy eating promotion through the PSU. I am very aware of the excellent service that UL counselling provide, I am not intend on adjusting this, rather to increase awareness of supports that students may wish to avail of, and hopefully rid any stigma associated with using such a service.

Careers, UL's careers service is undoubtedly one of the best of its kind. Admittedly I have missed value opportunities where prospective employers were on campus. I intend to ensure each student is informed in a simplistic manner of upcoming events.

With regards to diversity, which from the onset I must say is a very important to me. The International society and International office has done, and continues to do a magnificent job at incorporating all students within UL, and have received several accolades for their successful endeavours. I want to build on this and ensure that every student is truly welcomed to the university and to Limerick.

I will ensure that strong lines of communication are established with all employers within the UL and Castletroy area. Numerous students already have part time jobs and are viewed very favourable by their respective employers. I will seek that all students are notified of any positions that do become available.

Let me just convey to you that I not trying to retaliate to every point you proposed, my manifesto is a minimum of what I will set out to achieve. I will revise and adapt the PSU goals throughout my term, if successful, in the interest of all the students.

I hope you make a speedy recovery, if I don't see in person you this week, I would be very grateful if you could consider me for a vote on Thursday 3rd April.
    Best regards, Seamus Noonan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭goldencrisp62

Hi Well_Then, firstly let me thank you for your question and please don't apologise. I fully welcome any feedback and value the opportunity, as others may have the same questions that you've asked.

I am not aware of a PSU room with the Kemmy Business School. Yes, you're a correct that the majority of taught postgraduates do in fact have either one of more than one day off per week (mon-fri), however I have, and know of several students that in fact have a full week of lectures. Not only does this prove troublesome for those who commute a vast distance for a 1 or 2 hour lecture, but it also places additional pressure on students where this is not necessary. I will be adamant that timetables are optimised to ensure students perform at their very best.

In reference to Health, I will seek to establish a fitness program and healthy eating promotion through the PSU. I am very aware of the excellent service that UL counselling provide, I am not intend on adjusting this, rather to increase awareness of supports that students may wish to avail of, and hopefully rid any stigma associated with using such a service.

Careers, UL's careers service is undoubtedly one of the best of its kind. Admittedly I have missed value opportunities where prospective employers were on campus. I intend to ensure each student is informed in a simplistic manner of upcoming events.

With regards to diversity, which from the onset I must say is a very important to me. The International society and International office has done, and continues to do a magnificent job at incorporating all students within UL, and have received several accolades for their successful endeavours. I want to build on this and ensure that every student is truly welcomed to the university and to Limerick.

I will ensure that strong lines of communication are established with all employers within the UL and Castletroy area. Numerous students already have part time jobs and are viewed very favourable by their respective employers. I will seek that all students are notified of any positions that do become available.

Let me just convey to you that I not trying to retaliate to every point you proposed, my manifesto is a minimum of what I will set out to achieve. I will revise and adapt the PSU goals throughout my term, if successful, in the interest of all the students.

I hope you make a speedy recovery, if I don't see in person you this week, I would be very grateful if you could consider me for a vote on Thursday 3rd April.
    Best regards, Seamus Noonan.

so basically you plan on doing nothing?

classic politician, very complementary in each opening sentence but then reveals that you have absolutely no plans or substance to back them up.

you come across as a complete chancer, strikes me as a lad who didn't get a job in recent applications and has now decided to lump your money on the last horse in town.

nonetheless, you'll probably win because your opponent is seemingly non-existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

What's your plan for increasing engagement with research students? I've seen nothing in your literature so far about this.

Hi goldencrisp62, in response to your most recent post. I am glad to have the opportunity to run as a candidate for the President of the PSU and hope to be elected on my merits. I have formerly been employed as a mechanical engineer and returned to UL to complete a masters in September 2013. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here and hope to make significant contributions to the success of UL and the PSU.

Hi Chimaera, I am very much aware of the importance of a strong union to research students, as, after all most of these students will be with the university for a period of 3-4 years. These students will carry out similar roles to that of a lecturer but in the absence of a workers union or other representation. Although I understand there are professional bodies that do represent their interests.

Since they represent a lesser number of the voting populace I understand that in previous years the views of research students may have been largely unrepresented. Research students are eligible to run for the PSU, but it would be unusual for them to take a leave of absence from their studies to pursue this. It is my intention to work very closely with research students and their appointed representatives to improve this situation. I will strive to empower these representatives with the necessary authority to ensure research students needs are met.

I hope to schedule numerous outings, and meet-ups to help bridge departmental divides between students. As stated in my manifesto, I will be establishing fixed office hours, as well as meeting with students at appointments that can be scheduled by email. I hope this mechanism will allow me to pre-empt or resolve any issues that students may have.

Best regards, Seamus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 FoleyULPSU

Hey Guys

My name is Kieran Foley and I am the other candidate running for the PSU elections. I apologise for the slow start to my campaign, however urgent family matters have kept me away from campus over these past few days.

Please find attached a full copy of my manifesto. A shortened version of my manifesto is available at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kieran-Foley-1-PSU-President/299042976926058.

I'd love to hear any views , comments or ideas you may have about my manifesto. I'll be around campus all week engaging with postgraduate students so if you spot me I'd love to have a chat and listen to what you think about my manifesto as well as what you'd like to see the PSU achieve over the next academic year.

All the best,

Kieran.

Hey everyone,

I don't want to be spamming the page but, I'll be in the red raisins until 4.30 this evening if anyone would like to pop in and discuss any of my policies face to face. I look forward to meeting you all soon :)

All the best
    Kieran

Hi everyone, I am actively campaigning around campus all week and encourage you to stop and have a chat with me. If you wish to email me, please do so at noonanpsu@gmail.com. The PSU UGM and hustings are scheduled to take place in the PSU common room tomorrow (Wednesday 2nd) from 6pm onwards, please come along and show your support. Thanks again, Seamus.

Hi everyone, I am actively campaigning around campus all week and encourage you to stop and have a chat with me. If you wish to email me, please do so at noonanpsu@gmail.com. The PSU UGM and hustings are scheduled to take place in the PSU common room tomorrow (Wednesday 2nd) from 6pm onwards, please come along and show your support. Thanks again, Seamus.

Hi Seamus,

Best of luck in the campaign.

Can you advise why there has been no communication from the PSU Facebook or Twitter page? Also is the PSU website redundant?

These are important issues as there seems to be no platform for communication with PSU students... Poor service by the PSU.

PS We need a decent coffee machine!!!

• Advertisement

Hi Evergreen23, thank you for your kind message.

The PSU and ULSU are instructed to remain neutral and must not endorse any candidate in the upcoming elections, for that reason I have been unable to post information regarding the election on their respective facebook pages.

However, this doesn't condone the fact that a general information announce hasn't been made by either union. I feel that, in particular the ULSU are cautious not to communicate with their members are only postgraduates and GEMS students are eligible to vote, and that they have just taken part in two previous votes (ULSU and recent referendum).

I, as a postgraduate, also find it frustrating that the website for the PSU now appears to be not in service. This is a simple issue to rectify and I would seek to put have this corrected as my first pursuit if elected. As you may have seen, I have a very strong and visual online presence (incl. Wordpress, Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, An Focal, ULFM, and others). If elected I will introduce a system to publish any updates on all and more of these platforms to help reach as many students as possible.

Absolutely, I will commit that additional catering appliances will be provided within the PSU common room. As well as ensure that an adequate amount out budget is reserved for the purchase of tea, coffee, sugar, milk, mugs, etc. And that these supplies are replenished as a matter of routine.

I am thoroughly enjoying my time at UL, and hope to help propel the PSU to where I believe it should should be at. I will work closely with students and will pride myself on being incredibly approachable. So that, if I may not have recognized an issue that this is brought to my attention.

Please take a look at my noonanpsu.wordpress.com website and if necessary please make further contact with me. I have an nice early start this morning and hope to see you in person on campus.

Thanks again, Seamus.

Hi Evergreen23, thank you for your kind message.

The PSU and ULSU are instructed to remain neutral and must not endorse any candidate in the upcoming elections, for that reason I have been unable to post information regarding the election on their respective facebook pages.

However, this doesn't condone the fact that a general information announce hasn't been made by either union. I feel that, in particular the ULSU are cautious not to communicate with their members are only postgraduates and GEMS students are eligible to vote, and that they have just taken part in two previous votes (ULSU and recent referendum).

I, as a postgraduate, also find it frustrating that the website for the PSU now appears to be not in service. This is a simple issue to rectify and I would seek to put have this corrected as my first pursuit if elected. As you may have seen, I have a very strong and visual online presence (incl. Wordpress, Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, An Focal, ULFM, and others). If elected I will introduce a system to publish any updates on all and more of these platforms to help reach as many students as possible.

Absolutely, I will commit that additional catering appliances will be provided within the PSU common room. As well as ensure that an adequate amount out budget is reserved for the purchase of tea, coffee, sugar, milk, mugs, etc. And that these supplies are replenished as a matter of routine.

I am thoroughly enjoying my time at UL, and hope to help propel the PSU to where I believe it should should be at. I will work closely with students and will pride myself on being incredibly approachable. So that, if I may not have recognized an issue that this is brought to my attention.

Please take a look at my noonanpsu.wordpress.com website and if necessary please make further contact with me. I have an nice early start this morning and hope to see you in person on campus.

Thanks again, Seamus.

Of course they can't endorse any candidate.

I was merely referring to why the PSU facebook or twitter page hasn't highlighted that there is an election on this week, who the two candidates are, where we can access their manifesto, when the hustings are etc etc

What is your opinion on the above? Also do you know who is responsible for managing this communication?

I have spoken to a few postgraduates this morning and they knew nothing of an election!

Hi Evergreen23, I understand that you were referring to the general communication of publicising the election with regards to the PSU.

It is incumbent on the current PSU President to ensure this information is made available to all students who are members of the PSU. I am going to make contact with Lily immediately and request she will make contact with all students today.

Thank you for pointing out that some postgraduates are still unaware of the upcoming elections (Thursday 3rd April). I, and my team are doing our very best to tell all students about my campaign.

I, am really hoping there will be a large voting turnout, so that all students get to register their preference of who they would like to represent them.

Hello all, here is a copy of the email I have just sent to Lily (current PSU president) and the development manager of the ULSU:
    Hi Lily,

Over the past few days, it has been brought to my attention that a lot of postgraduate and GEMS students are still unaware of the elections taking place tomorrow, and the voting process in general.

Both I and the other candidate have set facebook like pages which I believe should be linked to the PSU so students can seek further information on each candidate. It would also be appreciated if you could inform students on how they can vote.

I hope you will make contact with all students who are eligible to vote as a matter of urgency to ensure every student gets their preference registered tomorrow.

I hope this will be of some assistance to students who may not have seen my campaign during the course of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Hi there. Just thought I would comment on some of the issues raised here as I am the current VP/Treasurer of the PSU.

An e-mail was sent at the start of this week to all postgraduate students highlighting that elections were taking place. The hustings have also been advertised on facebook. It was most likely a slight oversight to not put up the general announcement, however I believe that is being rectified as I write this.
    I, as a postgraduate, also find it frustrating that the website for the PSU now appears to be not in service. This is a simple issue to rectify and I would seek to put have this corrected as my first pursuit if elected.

You would be right to feel frustrated with no website. The website that used to exist was outdated, overloaded with text and generally not fit for purpose. It stopped working in February. We are currently in consultation with the same web designer of ULSU/Clubs and Societies to develop a new PSU website that will follow in the same line as the current ULSU/C&S pages.

As treasurer I will state be careful what you commit yourself to. The issue we have been dealing with all year is with how people treat the common room. One microwave was 'dropped' and broken. How this happened is beyond me. Even at that, it is disgusting along with the current one. People take no ownership over these and just let them get very messy and damaged. This is why we are reluctant to purchase new stuff until we can try and come up with some new system of encouraging people to take care of what is provided to them. Any suggestions with regards to this are always welcome.

As for mugs, they keep being stolen. Personally I do not want the PSU budget constantly being spent buying mugs when in reality it is a joke that they are constantly stolen - so again we are debating here from a budgetary perspective what is the best way forward.

Hope this helped clarify a few things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NewEd

Articles from both candidates available here.

http://www.anfocal.ie/

Hello all, a big thank you for your continued support during the course of the week. It has been such a great experience to run in this election.

Students will be able to vote tomorrow (Thursday) from 8am-8pm, I urge you all to please vote for me online at vote.ulsu.ie

I would greatly appreciate if you could please like and share this status. Also, if you could make contact with as many postgraduate and GEMS students and please request they vote tomorrow.

If anybody can give me a hand with campaigning tomorrow please make contact with me by message, it would be a huge help.

A celebration party has been arranged in the Stables for tomorrow at 8:30pm to coincide with the release of the result. Please come along where food will be provided.

https://www.facebook.com/NoonanPSU

Hey Everyone,

I'd just like to thank everyone that came to the hustings tonight, and Paddy Rockett for chairing. It was an amazing experience and there were some great questions. Voting is open tomorrow morning from 8am-8pm, please make your voice heard :)

All the Best,
    Kieran

Hello,

The voting website is now open for the PSU elections. Please vote right now for Seamus Noonan as #1 on

vote.ulsu.ie

I would appreciate if you could please encourage others to please vote for me. Polls will remain open until 8pm today.

Thanking you. Seamus.

• Advertisement

Simply sending out an email is not highlighting an election.

The facebook message with reference to the hustings was a knee jerk reaction to the activity on www.boards.ie
    Also the website should be up and running, this is very basic stuff.

As Seamus has pointed out there was a lot of people that didn't know there was an election on.

Having said that fair play to the Treasurer 'Gingeyoung' for addressing the issues.

Advertisement