Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ways to save money or earn more?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

I'll give you 20 euro if you dance for me and egg Bono?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

newmug, I hope you have got a debt write down on your mortgage, given that others who have hundreds of thousands written off will be living the high life compared to you! Are you being a martyr for the sake of it? Genuine question...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Idbatterim wrote: »
    newmug, I hope you have got a debt write down on your mortgage, given that others who have hundreds of thousands written off will be living the high life compared to you! Are you being a martyr for the sake of it? Genuine question...

Cos write downs are easy to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

newmug wrote: »
    I get E188 on a Tuesday. My re-structured mortgage is deducted on a Tuesday, it is E150, so that leaves me with E38 to live on.

• Forget drink / fags / E2 cups of coffee / Sky. That life is over.
    • Put aside at least E5 a week. That will be savings of E250 per year, handy for emergencies.
    • Grow the beard. Limit yourself to 2 haircuts per year. Grooming is a lost art that you will find very useful.
    • Cancel your phone plan, internet, club memberships, any subscriptions. Keep E5 in a PAYG phone, only turn it on once a day to see if anyone was looking for you, or when YOU want to make a call. Turn it off to save the battery.
    • Stock up on porridge. There are some nice flavoured ones out there. A 1.5kg packet usually does me 2 days. I have it plain for breakfast, throw a handful of raisins or chop a banana into it for lunch, and sometimes a packet of crisps mixed in for dinner. Vary it up. Mix it with water instead of milk to save another few euro per week.
    • If you are cold, wear more clothes. DO NOT use oil or gas, they are the biggest resource wastes in the universe. People think "Sure stick on the heating for a while", DONT! The last thing you need at a time like this is a bill you could have avoided.
    • Electricity is a dodgy one. If you cancel, there's a re-connection fee, so depending on how long you think you'll be living like this, it might be worth your while keeping it. If you do, keep its use to a minimum, ie fridge and lights, NOT hairdryers. Its not that expensive, but again, this is not the time to be accruing bills.
    • If you have a car, sell it. If you still need one, get a moped or a micra.
    • Take help when its offered. It somebody says "Oh come over for dinner sometime", take up their offer! Eat at your parents place whenever you can. Take lifts when you need them, and don't be afraid to ask for something.
    • This might seem like an obvious one, but its amazing how many people will try to cut corners when they are desperate - DONT BREAK THE LAW! Pay your TV license, if you have a car, keep it taxed and insured using your savings mentioned above, don't take drugs, don't get drunk on Dutch Gold, pay bills immediately, don't watch pirate DVD's or download music illegally, don't so much as fart out of place cos if you get into ANY sort of trouble, your situation will go from being poor to being in poverty, and that will have implications for the rest of your life, even when you get back on your feet.

jaysus, how long has this been going on? How do you even get around with no transport? Or manage to eat healthily?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Idbatterim wrote: »

No, I didn't get a write down. The only sort of slack they'd cut me was they put me on interest only. And I'm being a martyr because I only have E38 per week to live on, genuine answer! Anyway, its not just me, that's the way a lot of people are living who are in this situation, what else can you do? Either that or emigrate.

osarusan wrote: »
    jaysus, how long has this been going on? How do you even get around with no transport? Or manage to eat healthily?

Almost 3 years. Lifts. Porridge, and fruit when its on offer, I've never eaten healthier. Why are people so shocked at all this? Are none of you on the dole?

Almost 3 years. Lifts. Porridge, and fruit when its on offer, I've never eaten healthier. Why are people so shocked at all this? Are none of you on the dole?

People on the dole or otherwise don't live on porridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

thats not as easy as it might sound. He'd probably have to wait 20 years to move up a housing list ahead of families with children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Im on the scratch and eat like a king

Spunge wrote: »
    Im on the scratch and eat like a king

Yea, but are you paying E150/week out of that on a mortgage?

Almost 3 years. Lifts. Porridge, and fruit when its on offer

3 years, wow.

But...
    20 locally, 100 if hitting a disco.
    Hi folks. I have a Toshiba Satellite A300(?) Laptop, with Windows 7. It used to have Vista, but I upgraded last year. Ever since, it wont recognise any SD card I insert into it. Windows Media Player used to automatically open and import all your photos and stuff, but now its not even recognising that there's an SD card there. Any ideas?
    Unfortunately not sound man! The second link has the type of info I'm looking for, but it's for a completely different bike frown.png I rang Honda, they said my bike is an import and any genuine Honda manuals for my bike would be in Japanese. Surely there must be some crowd like Haynes doing them? Who else does motorbike manuals?
    I often thought about it. I'm a father to 3 kids now though. But I've made up my mind, if herself goes to her reward before I do, and the kids are grown up, I might have a crack at it then.

3 years, wow.

But...

But what? The laptop is my mothers, I gave up the drink, herself has a daughter from a previous relationship and twins from me and I cant support them, I do have a motorbike which I rarely use and which I'm trying to sell. Want to know anything else?

But what? The laptop is my mothers, I gave up the drink, herself has a daughter from a previous relationship and twins from me and I cant support them, I do have a motorbike which I rarely use and which I'm trying to sell. Want to know anything else?

What about the tractor?
    Anyone know of a MF 1135 for sale? Looking out for one for ages, they seem rare enough.

188 a week yeah?

With your wife and three kids?

• Advertisement

188 a week yeah?

Nope

One stepdaughter
    I love Ireland. I love my fiancé and my stepdaughter. I love my life exactly as it has turned out. Its not a fairytale, but its way more comfortable than the lives of previous generations of Irish people.

yawhat! wrote: »
    What about the tractor?

Never got one.

188 a week yeah?

We're not married. Cant afford to. But we are co-habiting, which is why I cant get rid of the house, and why I cant emigrate. We get around E30 per week per child (which is for THEM, not me) and doesn't last p1ssing time, and she gets whatever her rate is, I'm not sure of the amount, but I know its less than mine.

Osarusan, I cant help but get a bad vibe off your posts. Do you have some sort of problem with what I have written? I get the feeling that you don't believe me. TBH, I couldn't give a fiddlers what you believe, I have way more pressings things to think about, but if you were in my position, I doubt you would have been so forthcoming with your details as I have been. I came on here to try and help out the OP with some hard-earned lessons on how to live frugally. Its easy to see who on here has been in that boat and who hasn't a clue what its like to live on a shoestring budget. Lucky for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Crouching tiger, hidden naggin

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

Get a job for the 3 months you get off every year :)

• Advertisement

Never got one.

We're not married. Cant afford to. But we are co-habiting, which is why I cant get rid of the house, and why I cant emigrate. We get around E30 per week per child (which is for THEM, not me) and doesn't last p1ssing time, and she gets whatever her rate is, I'm not sure of the amount, but I know its less than mine.

Osarusan, I cant help but get a bad vibe off your posts. Do you have some sort of problem with what I have written? I get the feeling that you don't believe me. TBH, I couldn't give a fiddlers what you believe, I have way more pressings things to think about, but if you were in my position, I doubt you would have been so forthcoming with your details as I have been. I came on here to try and help out the OP with some hard-earned lessons on how to live frugally. Its easy to see who on here has been in that boat and who hasn't a clue what its like to live on a shoestring budget. Lucky for you.

Do you feed the kids porridge three times a day as well? And not let them charge their phones. Are your kids living in coldness as you don't want to turn on the heating?

Did you end buying one of these houses in Dublin or Cork 12 months ago when you were on the dole for three years?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83898458

Also manages to spend 20 in his local pub the whole time and 100 when he goes out.
    20 locally, 100 if hitting a disco.

Also planning on buying a new tractor and a new house and has a motorbike
    I didn't realize 30 a week would stretch so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

No paleo diet in that house!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 spinach_eater

stop eating out , its very expensive in Ireland and over rated anyway , cooking for oneself , partner etc and then simply going to the local for a drink is much more enjoyable , the whole restaurant thing does very little for me

I wish my girlfriend felt the same as I always end up paying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Out of interest, why did you feel the need to put in the "I am a teacher" bit?

I'm an engineer. I'm on the dole. About 80% of my dole is gone within minutes of it entering my hand.

I get E188 on a Tuesday. My re-structured mortgage is deducted on a Tuesday, it is E150, so that leaves me with E38 to live on.

• Put aside at least E5 a week. That will be savings of E250 per year, handy for emergencies.
    • Grow the beard. Limit yourself to 2 haircuts per year. Grooming is a lost art that you will find very useful.
    • Cancel your phone plan, internet, club memberships, any subscriptions. Keep E5 in a PAYG phone, only turn it on once a day to see if anyone was looking for you, or when YOU want to make a call. Turn it off to save the battery.
    • Stock up on porridge. There are some nice flavoured ones out there. A 1.5kg packet usually does me 2 days. I have it plain for breakfast, throw a handful of raisins or chop a banana into it for lunch, and sometimes a packet of crisps mixed in for dinner. Vary it up. Mix it with water instead of milk to save another few euro per week.
    • If you are cold, wear more clothes. DO NOT use oil or gas, they are the biggest resource wastes in the universe. People think "Sure stick on the heating for a while", DONT! The last thing you need at a time like this is a bill you could have avoided.
    • Electricity is a dodgy one. If you cancel, there's a re-connection fee, so depending on how long you think you'll be living like this, it might be worth your while keeping it. If you do, keep its use to a minimum, ie fridge and lights, NOT hairdryers. Its not that expensive, but again, this is not the time to be accruing bills.
    • Take help when its offered. It somebody says "Oh come over for dinner sometime", take up their offer! Eat at your parents place whenever you can. Take lifts when you need them, and don't be afraid to ask for something.
    • This might seem like an obvious one, but its amazing how many people will try to cut corners when they are desperate - DONT BREAK THE LAW! Pay your TV license, if you have a car, keep it taxed and insured using your savings mentioned above, don't take drugs, don't get drunk on Dutch Gold, pay bills immediately, don't watch pirate DVD's or download music illegally, don't so much as fart out of place cos if you get into ANY sort of trouble, your situation will go from being poor to being in poverty, and that will have implications for the rest of your life, even when you get back on your feet.

All these things may seem obvious, but its funny how people forgot how to be thrifty during the boom years. Maybe its the age profile of users, but that's what life was like during the 80's, and it didn't seem stingy or hard at the time, it was just normal for most people. And this was at a time when people had big enough families compared to nowadays. OP, being a teacher is probably the best and safest job you could be in at the moment, so count your blessings, you have nothing to complain about!

People seem to have lost sight of what's important, that is loved ones, and security. Nobody is entitled to go out EVERY weekend, or to have a wedding with 100 people, or to go on a holiday every year. These things are luxuries, not givens.

And remember, things wont be like this forever. Enjoy the small things.

Coming from a place of experience, I don't mean to be telling your business, but I will.

This is ****ing insanity.

I wonder do you have some misplaced pride in keeping your house or land. Is there an untapped oil well under the property that you don't have the huge startup capital to exploit it?

You say appreciate the small things and I know you can't live on the street, but you seem to enjoy the big things (aka house) to give 80%+ of your income to pay for it. And it's not even income, it's dole

I'll pry, how long do you have left on the mortgage? 10 years? I can't imagine you surviving on 250 euros a year on savings if a disaster hits (which it will invariably, I mean c'mon it's life. I'm probably the most positive person you could meet)

I'm sure you know that feeling of teetering in the edge, and I don't envy you.

Best of luck. I mean it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I tried something this year, I got fed up with sky , so I cancelled subscription because it was only really being used for kids tv and wife's soaps, I watch the od documentary . So I cancelled sky and I still have all uk channels for wife's soaps, plus kids watch c beebies and they love that. I search on discovery and national geographic and then I search on YouTube and usually find it on there.

I then went out and bought Apple TV so I can now watch I player ,netflix and anything on I phone trough tv. I'd also like to point out my brother in law has netflix account so I sponge his login so get that for free . You can have multiple locations so if anyone even wants to go half with a friend you can do that. After all my brother in law lives in England.

After that the best way is to shop around for everything. Every year I change insurance company's because I nearly always get a cheaper price as a new customer .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Believe me, I'm trying! But its not easy with 400,000 people competing for the same jobs! And do you know what reeeeeeeeeally pisses me off? When you get an interview for a deli and they say "But what are you applying to this job for, you're over-qualified!" >:(

Im in precisely the same boat.

188 per week with 140 of it going to rent.

Overqualified for a crap job and not experienced enough for a good job that I am qualified to do!

Would love to emigrate but I cant afford to.

Just totally trapped in this miserable life.

Im in precisely the same boat.

188 per week with 140 of it going to rent.

Overqualified for a crap job and not experienced enough for a good job that I am qualified to do!

Would love to emigrate but I cant afford to.

Just totally trapped in this miserable life.

Why not move to somewhere outside of Dublin where rent is only 50 a month?

And your not overqualified for jobs, plenty of people with computing degrees working in McDonalds. That's just an excuse!

Theres plenty of graduates role available if you look hard enough! Even call centres are always hiring

• Advertisement

Why not move to somewhere outside of Dublin where rent is only 50 a month?

And your not overqualified for jobs, plenty of people with computing degrees working in McDonalds. That's just an excuse!

Its not an excuse if you have actually been applying for jobs in mcdonalds, waiter, coffe shops and hotel porters and being repeatedly told that you are overqualified or ignored.

I mean what on earth do you know about what I have been doing?

I swear some people seem to think that there is in fact no sort of job shortage/ screwed up job market in this country and just that everyone is a lazy good for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Push Pop

I know. But that's life. It could be worse, imagine living in Syria.

So I imagine you are a smart guy as an engineer and you can't emigrate because of your mortgage right?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Out of interest, why did you feel the need to put in the "I am a teacher" bit?

I'm an engineer. I'm on the dole. About 80% of my dole is gone within minutes of it entering my hand.

All these things may seem obvious, but its funny how people forgot how to be thrifty during the boom years. Maybe its the age profile of users, but that's what life was like during the 80's, and it didn't seem stingy or hard at the time, it was just normal for most people. And this was at a time when people had big enough families compared to nowadays. OP, being a teacher is probably the best and safest job you could be in at the moment, so count your blessings, you have nothing to complain about!

People seem to have lost sight of what's important, that is loved ones, and security. Nobody is entitled to go out EVERY weekend, or to have a wedding with 100 people, or to go on a holiday every year. These things are luxuries, not givens.

And remember, things wont be like this forever. Enjoy the small things.

Do you drive?

Edit : looks like a few people beat me to it. I was about to ask how he insures, taxes and puts fuel in his Land Cruiser that he talked about in the motors forum.

Theres plenty of graduates role available if you look hard enough! Even call centres are always hiring

That's true, there are a number of graduate positions advertised.

However if you actually apply to them they will tell you that you don't have enough experience..

Sure even job bridge internship positions have told me that recently..

It seems what they really want is to hire someone experienced and pay them a graduate salary..

No need to worry Fred.
    Fruit and veg have nothing to do with it. That's bollox of the highest order. I eat enough F+V for 2 people every day and it makes no difference.

kceire wrote: »
    Do you drive?

Edit : looks like a few people beat me to it. I was about to ask how he insures, taxes and puts fuel in his Land Cruiser that he talked about in the motors forum.

Oh.

I feel so dirty.

That's true, there are a number of graduate positions advertised.

However if you actually apply to them they will tell you that you don't have enough experience..

Sure even job bridge internship positions have told me that recently..

It seems what they really want is to hire someone experienced and pay them a graduate salary..

I'm sure if you send off 20 C.Vs a day you will pick up something, espescially with a computer science degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Save money on expensive dental work by Tippexing over the rotten bits.

kceire wrote: »
    Do you drive?

Are you jealous or something? So now I have to justify what I drive? Well, its a 15 year old commercial diesel Cruiser. Tax is E333 per year, insurance is under the aul lads name and I'm named on the policy, seeing as I don't have a job, I don't have to drive every day, and if I sold it, its worth about E1500. I paid E12K for it 7 years ago, so I've gotten my moneysworth out of it.
    No need to worry Fred.

As you can see from that quote, I do eat a lot of fruit. I never said porridge was all I ate, read back through the thread to see what "fruits" I mix with it.
    I'm sure if you send off 20 C.Vs a day you will pick up something, espescially with a computer science degree.

Tell Ya-What, next time YOU'RE on the dole, try that, and come back to this thread and tell us what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Save money on expensive haircuts by wearing a towel on your head and telling people you've just stepped out of the shower.

What about the motorbike as well? Do you leave off the heat when your kids or at home? Or the 120 euro you spend when on the lash? What do your kids eat? three meals of porridge with fruit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Convert the whole family to Islam. You'll never need to shave or get a haircut. The wife won't need any make up, or clothes. You'll save a fortune on meat.

Oh so that's what I've been doing wrong all this time..

:rolleyes:

Yeah I mean there must be some reason that I prefer to stay at home all day eating a single meal, watching life pass me by while I rot away physically and mentally from the soul crushing despondency and boredom that come with long term unemployment.

There must be something I love about wearing the same pair of runners for three years despite the fact that they now wreck my feet every time I put them on.

There must be something so great about not being able to go on holidays or buy christmas presents for your loved ones since 2008.

There must be something immensely enjoyable about living with near constant pain from toothache for nine months because you can't afford to go to the dentists.

And sure we all know how lovely it is to have to sell off personal possessions that gave you even the slightest glimmer of joy in your wretched life by being able to play music to yourself just so you can pay a bill.

I mean jesus with all this lovely circumstance in play why on earth would i even want a job? Or the semblance of a normal life that comes with it.

Yeah, I don't apply for jobs at all because I love my life just the way it is.

Oh so that's what I've been doing wrong all this time..

:rolleyes:

Yeah I mean there must be some reason that I prefer to stay at home all day eating a single meal, watching life pass me by while I rot away physically and mentally from the soul crushing despondency and boredom that come with long term unemployment.

There must be something I love about wearing the same pair of runners for three years despite the fact that they now wreck my feet every time I put them on.

There must be something so great about not being able to go on holidays or buy christmas presents for your loved ones since 2008.

There must be something immensely enjoyable about living with near constant pain from toothache for nine months because you can't afford to go to the dentists.

And sure we all know how lovely it is to have to sell off personal possessions that gave you even the slightest glimmer of joy in your wretched life by being able to play music to yourself just so you can pay a bill.

I mean jesus with all this lovely circumstance in play why on earth would i even want a job? Or the semblance of a normal life that comes with it.

Yeah, I don't apply for jobs at all because I love my life just the way it is.

If thats why you don't apply then you should go see a doctor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭B_Rabbit

ere must be something I love about wearing the same pair of runners for three years despite the fact that they now wreck my feet every time I put them on.

What size are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭B_Rabbit

If thats why you don't apply then you should go see a doctor!

I think he was being sarcastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I am a teacher, my wages just seem to dissolve away. Any suggestions on how to not spend money without just hiding inIhouse all weekend?

Get yourself a summer job.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tweedle Dumb

insurance is under the aul lads name and I'm named on the policy,

You preach don't break the law but get insurance by Fronting which can result in your insurance being void. Ever listen to yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

You preach don't break the law but get insurance by Fronting which can result in your insurance being void. Ever listen to yourself?

He's trolling, it's easier to ignore it. :)

He's trolling, it's easier to ignore it. :)

I wish I was trolling. And ignore away, you'd swear I somehow offended people by the pathetic reactions on this thread, by people who have obviously never experienced a tough week in their lives. They don't know how lucky they are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement