Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Woes continues , is it the end of playstation as we know it ?

Options
  • 29-03-2014 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

Its no surprise the current situation Sony has faced itself in, a company once as big as Apple Sony have been struggling financially for years and it now looks like the times have caught up with them and may aswell dug themselves to far in a hole by there own hands that it looks like to me at least may very well change the playstation brand as we know it for the good or bad who knows.

Playstation brand has not been bright for almost 10 years and while the playstation 4 has been selling very well these past couple of months I feel wary that the companies struggles as whole over the years it may very well be too late to saviour and while the dagger slowly twist and deepens into the heart of the company and the longer they seem to keep bleeding there may be no heart beat left in the company to live that long and I somewhat feel ps4 wont have a long lifecycle like previous playstation hardware.

Why I feel this is because of the closing of buildings and lay offs that are becoming rapid speed, while this is often in the norm in the gaming industry it seems something really is shaken beneath the belly of the beast and sony or more importantly Kaz Hrai is out to get everyone within the sony family to save the company woes.

From Naughty dog to santa monica studios every one of sony key studios has taken the bullet even SCEA Jack tretton who was there from the very beginning has announced few weeks ago he be leaving the company , I question people would leave while ps4 is doing so well if everything was okay but its becoming clear that something shady is happening indoors.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/03/26/march-2014-sony-worldwide-studiosa-no-good-very-bad-month

Again we seen sony close buildings before with sony liverpool and the playstation all star battle royale studio sony build to make the game who quickly closed after the game sold very poorly and with zipper interactive but given this is all happening when sony have got momentum there way for really doing nothing yet I would of thought they would of build on this momentum with more positive light than laying off people and cancelling projects really just dims the light and shows darkness within.

Is this why we have seen the so called playstation now service ? Is this what playstation future is being a netflix type service than a stand alone console or is this sony idea of future of gaming is ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Welcome to the games industry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

[obvious troll] I know!

Nintendo can buy Sony's gaming wing and rename the PS4 "Beetch S 4", just to rub it in.... [/obvious troll]

Actually, it's worrying, because if there was anyone who seemed to have their finger on the pulse of what games players wanted over this and the last gen it was Sony, with some of the most interesting experiments in mature storytelling released onto their format.
    And if they can't seem to do it, I can't see anyone making a go of it.
    Of course, the Playstation brand is synonymous with gaming, but then so were Atari, Sega and Nintendo once upon a time too, so lets hope Sony can figure how to maximise the brand and give us what we want while also making plenty of profits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

I'm saying this as an owner of an Xbox One that if Sony goes down it would be an absolute disaster for gaming. In terms of the console war sony is keeping microsoft competitive with the PS+ and exclusive titles and its price range. I'd hate to see where the Xbox One would be right now without the PS4, you just have to look at the drm fiasco of last year to see their intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Why was this moved here when the Wii U is dead thread stays in the Games forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Or maybe their just getting their sht together and restructuring at the beginning of this new gen.. i know the lead guy who left ND logged into neogaf yesterday to clear up why he left exactly, and it was due to his sick son being so far away while working at ND, he had to quit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Or maybe their just getting their sht together and restructuring at the beginning of this new gen.. i know the lead guy who left ND logged into neogaf yesterday to clear up why he left exactly, and it was due to his sick son being so far away while working at ND, he had to quit.

That was the guy working on Drive Club not Naughty Dog.

This month SCE was the focus on a lot of the cuts but Sony needs to becoming leaner to face this new generation.

Even if the "inside source" was wrong on that account it made a lot of sence and filled the gaps. Messing up on that one caused doubt on the rest now even if he was correct on the others he has lost all credibility now.

He has been right a lot of the time just this one made him look like a jackass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Varik wrote: »
    Why was this moved here when the Wii U is dead thread stays in the Games forum?

Because we chose to allow general Nintendo and Playstation / Xbox discussion threads in the main games forum given how hot a topic they were. However, as in the vast majority of cases, we will still move most format specific discussions to their respective forums - this is a specifically Playstation topic, so it's home in the Playstation forum. Also helps avoid some of the unpleasantness experienced in some of the games forum threads on the subject of formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Still doesn't explain Varik's point though. That thread should be in the Nintendo forum like this is in the Playstation and not Games forum. Yet that is not the case.

So basically you are saying as a Mod that anti Xbox and anti Nintendo threads have to go to the Games forum but anti Sony threads can stay in the Playstation forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Lucreto wrote: »
    That was the guy working on Drive Club not Naughty Dog.

This month SCE was the focus on a lot of the cuts but Sony needs to becoming leaner to face this new generation.

Even if the "inside source" was wrong on that account it made a lot of sence and filled the gaps. Messing up on that one caused doubt on the rest now even if he was correct on the others he has lost all credibility now.

He has been right a lot of the time just this one made him look like a jackass.

Yeah the Driveclub lead, sry.
    That leaker dude got banned on gaf apparently after this. I read through some of the thread where the DC dev cleared things up, and alot of people were looking for the leaker's head, and asking why hadnt he been banned yet before this incident, so maybe some of the other stuff he has "leaked" was bs too.. idk, i've lost track of the different leakers on gaf, and who's leaked what... always entertaining threads though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Still doesn't explain Varik's point though. That thread should be in the Nintendo forum like this is in the Playstation and not Games forum. Yet that is not the case.

As I said, the games mods decided that we would allow the Nintendo thread and the Playstation 4 / Xbox One discussion thread to remain in games, and keep the games forum discussion of those topics restricted to that pair of threads. They are exceptions agreed on in discussion with the other mods. Other than that, we will continue to place format specific threads where we feel they are most appropriate, or in some circumstances merge them with the two threads mentioned above. I felt this topic would be poorly served by merging it with the PS4/Xbox One thread, so I moved it here where I felt it could generate some worthwhile discussion.
    So basically you are saying as a Mod that anti Xbox and anti Nintendo threads have to go to the Games forum but anti Sony threads can stay in the Playstation forum.

I'm not saying that at all :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

The op is a steaming pile of crap . All very biased opinion and not based in fact. Yir man that was fired from the DC company obviously couldn't do his job and kept missing deadlines. The PS3 came very good for Sony in the end ,the Vita is flying, all the large and small developers are gone to Sony in droves...I can go on. Not to mention that Sony is a hell of a lot more than a games console maker.

Wow. This op is stinking of crap through my pc.

Why is this opinion here ,is it just here to get a reaction ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

The op is a steaming pile of crap . All very biased opinion and not based in fact. Yir man that was fired from the DC company obviously couldn't do his job and kept missing deadlines. The PS3 came very good for Sony in the end ,the Vita is flying, all the large and small developers are gone to Sony in droves...I can go on. Not to mention that Sony is a hell of a lot more than a games console maker.

Wow. This op is stinking of crap through my pc.

Why is this opinion here ,is it just here to get a reaction ?.

Wow I clearly misunderstood ones fandom towards a company.

1. I did not state anything as fact but as mere observation of the closing of buildings and studios and the number of key people and developers from sony than cannot be written off cause it is sony , its a big issue not a little annoyance.

2. The playstation 3 was detrimental throughout its lifecycle , even if it sold well during its end sony could never recoup the money it has already lost on the development side of things and playstation vita isnt flying , its still selling poor its only in japan its only managed to gain life again but 3ds is still killing it . Its dead in the west.

3. There is nothing I have said that is fairydust or pulled out of thin air. I brought up a discussion...on a forum....to be discussed. Yes its true as you said sony have other things to gain money than consoles , lets discuss that shall we.

Lets see there is their Movie division ? Oh yeah that is not doing so good is it. hmm how about their music division ? yeah....not really doing wonders is it sure they try to give you free music trials for your playstation to sell you on.

Lets go on

Tv business ? whats that ? they split the tv business into two and is one of the reasons why they are in the mess they are in.

Mobile business is dead

they shut down their pc division

would you like to give me an example on what part of sony business they are doing well in other than the gaming division ? because as you said I am clearly talking out of my ass ?

I can give you a arm list of different links to show you sony are in a bad position , hell I provided a link above of sony lay offs , there is nothing I said above that is a lie. sony have laid off people, they have closed buildings and they are investing heavily into cloud gaming and playstation now , Forgive me for linking things together and seeing what sony has planned for the bigger picture.

If you think its crap , dont read it and carry on , or give your own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

^^^
    The Sony e-reader store closed last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

cadete wrote: »

What am I gonna play my cassette tapes on now? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It will be sad to see the end of the ps4 as it seems like a great console even though I never bought one.

However this day has been coming for a while as Sony have been struggling for many years now. Hopefully some big company like Google could come in and buy their gaming division before they completely go to the wall.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It will be sad to see the end of the ps4 as it seems like a great console even though I never bought one.

However this day has been coming for a while as Sony have been struggling for many years now. Hopefully some big company like Google could come in and buy their gaming division before they completely go to the wall.

Got a few years I'd say :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wow, it's either raining one extreme or the other in console dedicated fora isn't it?

The PS4 is going to rumble on, I still have hopes I'll see The Last Guardian in it's lifetime.

Sony may split the arm that develops consoles and software away from the main business, in order to tidy up it's balance sheet, but otherwise it'll maintain control.

It'll be unfortunate that we see any scaling back on software development, although there are plenty of independent developers as well as established third parties who'll be releasing for the PS4. They may be glad of the breathing room if fewer major AAA releases are emerging from Sony's own studios.

I wonder what this spells for the maligned Vita.
    That lovely handheld hasn't exactly set the world on fire and must be costing Sony a pretty penny, while they hold out for profits in the years to come, or is it already in the black?

Wow I clearly misunderstood ones fandom towards a company.

1. I did not state anything as fact but as mere observation of the closing of buildings and studios and the number of key people and developers from sony than cannot be written off cause it is sony , its a big issue not a little annoyance.

2. The playstation 3 was detrimental throughout its lifecycle , even if it sold well during its end sony could never recoup the money it has already lost on the development side of things and playstation vita isnt flying , its still selling poor its only in japan its only managed to gain life again but 3ds is still killing it . Its dead in the west.

3. There is nothing I have said that is fairydust or pulled out of thin air. I brought up a discussion...on a forum....to be discussed. Yes its true as you said sony have other things to gain money than consoles , lets discuss that shall we.

Lets see there is their Movie division ? Oh yeah that is not doing so good is it. hmm how about their music division ? yeah....not really doing wonders is it sure they try to give you free music trials for your playstation to sell you on.

Lets go on

Tv business ? whats that ? they split the tv business into two and is one of the reasons why they are in the mess they are in.

Mobile business is dead

they shut down their pc division

would you like to give me an example on what part of sony business they are doing well in other than the gaming division ? because as you said I am clearly talking out of my ass ?

I can give you a arm list of different links to show you sony are in a bad position , hell I provided a link above of sony lay offs , there is nothing I said above that is a lie. sony have laid off people, they have closed buildings and they are investing heavily into cloud gaming and playstation now , Forgive me for linking things together and seeing what sony has planned for the bigger picture.

If you think its crap , dont read it and carry on , or give your own opinion.

Let me do a quick sum up of where the gaming industry is rite now.

PC gaming is dead. Games are now developed for the console and ported to PC.

Nintendo is on the decline. Nintendo are surviving on the success of the Wii ,the Wii was a con job. I know so many adults that bought the Wii for themselves and their kids because of nothing more than the ads showing the interactive side of the console. I know of countless nearly new Wii consoles that are rotten under tv's around Ireland because the interactivity was useless in practice and the novelty wore off very fast.The games are very childish in the approach to gaming . Nintendo seem to refuse to believe that the customers they once had have all grown up now and do not want to play Super ,duper,next gen,shiny colours ,even faster,save another princess Mario...I done that $hit before I was a teenager. The DS has the exact same problem . Because of Nintendo's inward only arrogance they have been left behind by the gaming industry. Unless your Japanese ,but their a totally different gaming culture to the rest of the world.

Microsoft have ruined their customer base with the crap they tried to pull on their customer base with the XBone. Because of their arrogance ,the developers and many ,many customers have left the console high and dry.

Sony. Sony made a mess of the PS3 with the price point of the console on release .They eventually got the price down to a very competitive level against the 360 and the PS3 started to fly off the shelves . The Vita was also priced way too high on release and also suffered from very poor sales .Now that the price has been reduced to a very reasonable price (less than €200 with games and memory cards) the Vita is selling like hotcakes (sales have more than doubled in the last year) . The success of PS4 sales are well published. Sony are the future of gaming for now... unless you want to include Android devices,wich I do not (I still want to play games on my plasma with a 5.1 soundsystemwhen I'm at home,not a 2.5" screen).

All corporation's have been suffering in the Recession ,Sony are just doing their books. All movie studios are suffering ,Columbia Tri Star are no different. CD,BR,DVD era is dead ,Sony know this and are trying to move the industry forward with cloud tech.
    Sony will still be here in 100yrs.

I am a Sony fanboi...yes . I had a PS1 on launch and I remember it blowing the Saturn out of the water with the quality of the games and gfx. I kinda skipped the 2 as I had a DC and then an XB . I tried the 360 and did not like it because of the lack of family content so bought a PS3 when the prices came down. I know have a Vita and PS4 aswell .

Sony are the future of gaming,get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

WORDS
    You're so wrong it actually hurts.

As an aside, I wouldn't regard the recent events as "woes" for Sony as a whole. Naughty Dog hired Corrinne Yu back in November last year and are clearly doubling down on Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann after the success of The Last of Us. They'll be fine. Evolution are clearly having trouble with Drive Club, that's pretty much common knowledge at this stage, so depending on what level that's at, replacing the Director may be a good move. Santa Monica had a canned project but are still working on one unannounced game and, last time I checked, also providing support on The Order. The rest of the layoffs just seem like the usual restructuring that goes on in the larger companies every once and awhile. The fact that all of this is happening towards the end of the financial year is doubly unsurprising.

• Advertisement

Let me do a quick sum up of where the gaming industry is rite now.

PC gaming is dead. Games are now developed for the console and ported to PC.

Nintendo is on the decline. Nintendo are surviving on the success of the Wii ,the Wii was a con job. I know so many adults that bought the Wii for themselves and their kids because of nothing more than the ads showing the interactive side of the console. I know of countless nearly new Wii consoles that are rotten under tv's around Ireland because the interactivity was useless in practice and the novelty wore off very fast.The games are very childish in the approach to gaming . Nintendo seem to refuse to believe that the customers they once had have all grown up now and do not want to play Super ,duper,next gen,shiny colours ,even faster,save another princess Mario...I done that $hit before I was a teenager. The DS has the exact same problem . Because of Nintendo's inward only arrogance they have been left behind by the gaming industry. Unless your Japanese ,but their a totally different gaming culture to the rest of the world.

Microsoft have ruined their customer base with the crap they tried to pull on their customer base with the XBone. Because of their arrogance ,the developers and many ,many customers have left the console high and dry.

Sony. Sony made a mess of the PS3 with the price point of the console on release .They eventually got the price down to a very competitive level against the 360 and the PS3 started to fly off the shelves . The Vita was also priced way too high on release and also suffered from very poor sales .Now that the price has been reduced to a very reasonable price (less than €200 with games and memory cards) the Vita is selling like hotcakes (sales have more than doubled in the last year) . The success of PS4 sales are well published. Sony are the future of gaming for now... unless you want to include Android devices,wich I do not (I still want to play games on my plasma with a 5.1 soundsystemwhen I'm at home,not a 2.5" screen).

All corporation's have been suffering in the Recession ,Sony are just doing their books. All movie studios are suffering ,Columbia Tri Star are no different. CD,BR,DVD era is dead ,Sony know this and are trying to move the industry forward with cloud tech.
    Sony will still be here in 100yrs.

I am a Sony fanboi...yes . I had a PS1 on launch and I remember it blowing the Saturn out of the water with the quality of the games and gfx. I kinda skipped the 2 as I had a DC and then an XB . I tried the 360 and did not like it because of the lack of family content so bought a PS3 when the prices came down. I know have a Vita and PS4 aswell .

Sony are the future of gaming,get used to it.

There is so false in your words its hard to even begin to what you just stated above. I knew you were a playstation fanboy the very moment you stated I was talking crap , ultimately led me to suggest you did not read what the topic was about and merely seen the title of the thread and threw your two cents in. Allow me to provide links to dispute to what you just said.

Pc gaming is dead ? This is already false as pc and steam rises have been up yearly in rapid increase even more so than the console industry

http://www.techspot.com/news/52070-pc-game-sales-hit-20-billion-last-year-no-signs-of-slowing.html

even with companies like Sega profits soar through its pc games more so than consoles indicates even on a platform where piracy is much easier to do than consoles companies still see profits shows pc gaming is far from dead and quite healthy

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-02-07-pc-and-digital-now-driving-forces-for-sega

Nintendo is on decline ?: This is also quite false despite peoples thoughts and how the industry viewed the wii was it had more of a impact on gaming than people gave it credit for, it made gaming cool again and not viewed by isolated bunch who spend most time in front of a tv screen than outside being normal people by the eyes of the family folk. the fact it brought families closer together than engaged and had fun , highlighted as the perfect platform to get old people exercise who could barely move at all is a testament despite whether people enjoyed it or not.

Even if the wii was a gimmick why does that matter ? it sold extremely well despite everything else and the ds was a brilliant handheld which sold even more for being less powerful than the psp, both systems still had a overwhelming amount of great games , highest selling and highest rated and widely acclaimed than any of xbox 360 or ps3 titles. It also did not stop sony from copying trying to get wii users to jump abroad with the ps move or with the xbox kinetic.

Nintendo wii u may be struggling but does not mean a decline it just means the console has not gathered momentum yet , the 3ds is still out selling everything even n a day where so called journalist said the smartphone and mobile market will kill the handheld market.

even sony acknowledges and congrats nintendo on what they have done with the 3ds

http://nintendoeverything.com/sony-3ds-shows-that-playing-on-a-dedicated-handheld-device-has-not-gone/

Again because sony dropped the price of the ps3 and vita does not mean they are successful , when sony dropped the price of the ps3 back in 2007 it was still sold at a launch for years and it still at the time it never sold well till around 2008/2009 , take into account of the hacking issue that needed addressing and fixing , games like starhawk that bombed , psp piracy and the inside bleeding the company has had in the process , they never turned a profit only losses for years.

Vita price drop is the same it was overpriced and sold poorly , because the price drops and its selling little better it is not flying off shelves not even close. I have owned every playstation system but facts are facts its not doing so great. selling below 10,000 to 17,000 is not a strong indicator to believing the vita is not struggling.

CD,BR and such are dead : you are half right on this matter , yes physical medium have been on the decline but its not outright dead yet, there are people out there like myself who prefer the physical to own than stream it in a cloud , two markets still have a bit of a bite to co exists alongside each other with the movie frozen been a perfect example of that turning a 3 million proft in one day on blu ray sales in one day

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/frozen-sells-3-2-million-dvd-blu-ray-discs-in-one-day-1201139509/

Ive no doubt the future may all be streamline to all devices but there is still some time for the world to adapt to that way of living yet fortheir entertainment.

Sony also believes this by still investing in a 1tb blu ray disk space

http://www.geek.com/chips/sony-and-panasonic-name-1tb-blu-ray-successor-archival-disc-1587248/

sony will be here for 100 years time ?

with the rapid loses within the company and the shrink in size of once a giant of a brand does not indicate to me they will last 100 years , you dont live by failure and that is what they have been doing for years.

being in junk status and having analysis believe you have a high chance of bankruptcy would not even been suggested if you were healthy it only shows you have a problem.

http://gaminrealm.com/2013/12/30/sony-79-chance-bankrupt-2-years/

Sony is the future of gaming get used to it

Sony is not the future of gaming , it does not represent gaming it has not even put a stamp on gaming. It was not the first console , it was not the first with analogs sticks, it was not the first to introduce the rumble controller it whole reason for being is because of nintendo backed out of a deal with them.

Do not get it wrong that i want to see sony gone , the console industry needs those 3 to be as successful as they can be , competition is good if one leaves the market trims and everything we have seen up to this point will remain stagnated and little push forward we will to experience new and exciting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I read a comment there from Jeremy parish over at usgamer.net. He said that while PS4 sales seem strong, they are at about the same level as PS3 at the same time and that was considered a disaster. Now I'm not sure if those figures do match up but Jeremy is usually on the ball with these things.

Edit: just did some research there and he's on the ball with those figures. Even more worrying is that the ps4 is available in more territories.

One thing that isn't taken into account is that the ps3 figures are shipped consoles, not sold consoles.

Pc gaming is dead ?

http://www.techspot.com/news/52070-pc-game-sales-hit-20-billion-last-year-no-signs-of-slowing.html
    ****Your kidding ,rite ?****

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_Gaming_Alliance
    **** it's a lobby group for the Pc hardware and developer's.****

even with companies like Sega profits soar through its pc games more so than consoles indicates even on a platform where piracy is much easier to do than consoles companies still see profits shows pc gaming is far from dead and quite healthy

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-02-07-pc-and-digital-now-driving-forces-for-sega
    **** Did you actually read that article ?. ****

Nintendo is on decline ?: This is also quite false despite peoples thoughts and how the industry viewed the wii was it had more of a impact on gaming than people gave it credit for, it made gaming cool again and not viewed by isolated bunch who spend most time in front of a tv screen than outside being normal people by the eyes of the family folk. the fact it brought families closer together than engaged and had fun , highlighted as the perfect platform to get old people exercise who could barely move at all is a testament despite whether people enjoyed it or not.

**** Just like the Eye Toy did for Sony. ****

Even if the wii was a gimmick why does that matter ? it sold extremely well despite everything else and the ds was a brilliant handheld which sold even more for being less powerful than the psp, both systems still had a overwhelming amount of great games , highest selling and highest rated and widely acclaimed than any of xbox 360 or ps3 titles. It also did not stop sony from copying trying to get wii users to jump abroad with the ps move or with the xbox kinetic.

Nintendo wii u may be struggling but does not mean a decline it just means the console has not gathered momentum yet , the 3ds is still out selling everything even n a day where so called journalist said the smartphone and mobile market will kill the handheld market.

even sony acknowledges and congrats nintendo on what they have done with the 3ds

http://nintendoeverything.com/sony-3ds-shows-that-playing-on-a-dedicated-handheld-device-has-not-gone/

Again because sony dropped the price of the ps3 and vita does not mean they are successful , when sony dropped the price of the ps3 back in 2007 it was still sold at a launch for years and it still at the time it never sold well till around 2008/2009 , take into account of the hacking issue that needed addressing and fixing , games like starhawk that bombed , psp piracy and the inside bleeding the company has had in the process , they never turned a profit only losses for years.

Vita price drop is the same it was overpriced and sold poorly , because the price drops and its selling little better it is not flying off shelves not even close. I have owned every playstation system but facts are facts its not doing so great. selling below 10,000 to 17,000 is not a strong indicator to believing the vita is not struggling.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/ps-vita-sales-rocket-163-launch-ps4/

**** sales are picking up ,4.2 million last yr. Still no where near the 3ds ,but thats just because parents insist on buying Ninty products for their kids. When the kids grow up they move on. I know of 4 families in my imediate family that bought a Wii and within a few months left it in the corner and bought a PS3/Xb .I know of many,many more people that are not related to me that done the same.****

CD,BR and such are dead : you are half right on this matter , yes physical medium have been on the decline but its not outright dead yet, there are people out there like myself who prefer the physical to own than stream it in a cloud , two markets still have a bit of a bite to co exists alongside each other with the movie frozen been a perfect example of that turning a 3 million proft in one day on blu ray sales in one day

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/frozen-sells-3-2-million-dvd-blu-ray-discs-in-one-day-1201139509/

**** ^^ Sales based on older parents buying for their kids.The kids will not be buying discs when they get older.****

Ive no doubt the future may all be streamline to all devices but there is still some time for the world to adapt to that way of living yet fortheir entertainment.

Sony also believes this by still investing in a 1tb blu ray disk space

http://www.geek.com/chips/sony-and-panasonic-name-1tb-blu-ray-successor-archival-disc-1587248/

**** Hard copy data storage . There will always be a market.****

sony will be here for 100 years time ?

with the rapid loses within the company and the shrink in size of once a giant of a brand does not indicate to me they will last 100 years , you dont live by failure and that is what they have been doing for years.

being in junk status and having analysis believe you have a high chance of bankruptcy would not even been suggested if you were healthy it only shows you have a problem.

http://gaminrealm.com/2013/12/30/sony-79-chance-bankrupt-2-years/

Sony is the future of gaming get used to it

Sony is not the future of gaming , it does not represent gaming it has not even put a stamp on gaming. It was not the first console , it was not the first with analogs sticks, it was not the first to introduce the rumble controller it whole reason for being is because of nintendo backed out of a deal with them.

**** Sony did not invent a hell of a lot of other things too. It does not mean that they do not profit from them.****

Do not get it wrong that i want to see sony gone , the console industry needs those 3 to be as successful as they can be , competition is good if one leaves the market trims and everything we have seen up to this point will remain stagnated and little push forward we will to experience new and exciting.[/QUOTE]

**** I agree ,but Ninty are taking the pi$$ .They are far too inward looking .Even Sega seen the light in the end. MS will more than likely recover ,but it will be a slow road back for the next few yrs. As for the Steambox...have you actually looked at the prices been quoted ?. If Sony get their cloud service up and running ,it may just be a bit too late fo the Steambox. It will have some cool exclusives ,but it might be a bit late ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I read a comment there from Jeremy parish over at usgamer.net. He said that while PS4 sales seem strong, they are at about the same level as PS3 at the same time and that was considered a disaster. Now I'm not sure if those figures do match up but Jeremy is usually on the ball with these things.

Edit: just did some research there and he's on the ball with those figures. Even more worrying is that the ps4 is available in more territories.

One thing that isn't taken into account is that the ps3 figures are shipped consoles, not sold consoles.

Shipped vs Sold makes a huge difference. It was almost impossible for shops to actually sell their PS3s when they first launched, they had huge supplies of them and they weren't selling. There was that comment from Jack Tretton before launch where he challenged people to find a PS3 in shops after launch. That sparked a small trend of posting pictures with shops full of PS3 stock.

PS4 is definitely doing much better than PS3 sales wise as of right now, if they can keep it going though that is another thing.
    But things are looking fairly hopeful for the SCE department of Sony, if it comes down to it I'm sure they'll split it off into it's own company so it can be more profitable. Especially now that they are charging for PS+ mandatory.

This thread really is one extreme vs the other. People are just looking into some basic restructuring too much. Are we forgetting the fact that MS has replaced 3-4 of their top level executives in the past year? 2 of which were working specifically on Xbox.

ps. comment above, format please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Where are you getting these numbers from, even if you limit it to a single market where both where released it's not even close. I can't even find the original article.

The US PS3 launch was only was only around ~200K and it's first 3 months only managed come within reach the PS4s first month, march isn't over yet and even with Infamous I'd say it's going to be a rather comparatively low number but still far ahead of the PS3.

Shipped vs Sold makes a huge difference. It was almost impossible for shops to actually sell their PS3s when they first launched, they had huge supplies of them and they weren't selling. There was that comment from Jack Tretton before launch where he challenged people to find a PS3 in shops after launch. That sparked a small trend of posting pictures with shops full of PS3 stock.

PS4 is definitely doing much better than PS3 sales wise as of right now, if they can keep it going though that is another thing.
    But things are looking fairly hopeful for the SCE department of Sony, if it comes down to it I'm sure they'll split it off into it's own company so it can be more profitable. Especially now that they are charging for PS+ mandatory.

This thread really is one extreme vs the other. People are just looking into some basic restructuring too much. Are we forgetting the fact that MS has replaced 3-4 of their top level executives in the past year? 2 of which were working specifically on Xbox.

ps. comment above, format please.

As I stated I am not saying this is the end of playstation just discussing on what is going on at the company.

Regards to microsoft there has speculation that there new upcoming ceo wants to get rid of the xbox brand and there investors are all for it.

Reason why I did not bother to talk about microsoft is because I am not a xbox user I am however a owner of every ps product so I found it worrying :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Can you link to your figures? I can only find articles mentioning 3.5 million PS3s after 4 months compared to 5.3 million PS4s in 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wasn't the PS4 the biggest selling launch console or something? I fail to see how Sony would struggle if they're hitting their targets? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

.ak wrote: »
    Wasn't the PS4 the biggest selling launch console or something? I fail to see how Sony would struggle if they're hitting their targets? :confused:

It's not the gaming division which will eventually drag the company under. Also I doubt they are making money from the ps4.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Why do they sell consoles if there is no mark up on them?

Advertisement