Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to i do when a landlord refuses rent supplement in dublin?

Options
  • 29-03-2014 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all...what to i do when a landlord refuses rent supplement in Dublin? im on the jobseekers allowance...just moved into a flat landlord says he cant accept rent supplement....im living on 46 euros a week & cant survive.would the social protection help or the community welfare officer help if the Landlord refuses rent supplement? any info would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

If the Landlord doesn't accept Rent Allowance then you'll have to find a Landlord who will.

And, assuming you've been accepted for Rent Allowance, you must ensure the rent of the property does not exceed the maximum limit set.

For example, if you are entitled to €400 Rent Allowance (just picked that amount at random), you must ensure the property is not over €400.

Also, you wouldn't be given the full €400 as you are expected to contribute a certain amount towards the rent yourself.

Have a word with your Community Welfare Officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Did you not ask the landlord before moving in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Biscuits365

Thx Guys for the Help...no I Didn't ask LL before I moved in ,theres so few flats available & every flat I called wouldn't accept Rent Supplement . this flat was the only one that didn't say "Rent allowance not accepted" !so I gave it a shot I had no choice ! & because there's so few Flats available at a reasonable cost I took it ! its insane for the rent supplement crowd to think I flat can be got for 120 euros a week......I seen 2 in 6 months & they were gone an 30 mins\hour after they were advertised,im looking for work ,If I don't find some I could be in trouble ! any body know if im not accepted for Rent Supplement would the community officer help with Rent?...Thx again Guys

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Thx Guys for the Help...no I Didn't ask LL before I moved in ,theres so few flats available & every flat I called wouldn't accept Rent Supplement . this flat was the only one that didn't say "Rent allowance not accepted" !so I gave it a shot I had no choice ! & because there's so few Flats available at a reasonable cost I took it ! its insane for the rent supplement crowd to think I flat can be got for 120 euros a week......I seen 2 in 6 months & they were gone an 30 mins\hour after they were advertised,im looking for work ,If I don't find some I could be in trouble ! any body know if im not accepted for Rent Supplement would the community officer help with Rent?...Thx again Guys

No because the CWO only deals with Rent Allowance, not rent "help".
    It is hard to find a place that will accept RA but all you can do is keep looking.
    Or as someone suggested in the State Benefits forum, could you house-share with someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

In short no ,

The cwo won't top up your rent supplement at all ,

The central rent unit now deal with rent supplement ,

You won't got more any more than the maximum allowed for your circumstances,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

go to Centrecare, or threshold ,to get info advice.
    Theres different limits ra limit, for sharing, non sharing accomodation.
    Since the new rules came in, re bedsits etc i think the no of flats avaidable on rent allowance has decreased ,especially in dublin.

I know someone who was paying 65 per week,in 2010, on rent allowance ,
    1 room,sharing a house,
    got letter from welfare officer,
    was told thats too high.
    Google rent allowance limits single person dublin google.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hi all...what to i do when a landlord refuses rent supplement in Dublin? im on the jobseekers allowance...just moved into a flat landlord says he cant accept rent supplement....im living on 46 euros a week & cant survive.would the social protection help or the community welfare officer help if the Landlord refuses rent supplement? any info would be appreciated

Keep looking until you find somewhere that will accept it.

In the meantime .. 45 per week.
    Spend 25 per week on food (shop cunningly at Lidl/Aldi and it's heaps.
    Move your cellphone to a plan that costs as little as possible.
    Join the library, and use the internet there.
    Give up drink for Lent (or whatever)
    If you need to buy clothes, get to know where the charity shops are.

Worst case, go to VdP for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

flats in dublin are in the highest demand in the country , and prices reflect this. Id assume if you are claiming RA / RS that you are unemployed, in that case you have no reel need to be in dublin city, it may be worth trying somewhere in meath / kildare like kilcock or rathoath that is within commuting distance of dublin if you get a job interview, but will also be easier to find housing stock and landlords that accept RA / RS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Keep looking until you find somewhere that will accept it.

In the meantime .. 45 per week.
    Spend 25 per week on food (shop cunningly at Lidl/Aldi and it's heaps.
    Move your cellphone to a plan that costs as little as possible.
    Join the library, and use the internet there.
    Give up drink for Lent (or whatever)
    If you need to buy clothes, get to know where the charity shops are.

Worst case, go to VdP for food.

Reality is even lots of the dingy, manky suicide box bedsit places do not accept rent allowance. Some of the place I have seen, you wouldn't let a dog sleep in them.

• Advertisement

Reality is even lots of the dingy, manky suicide box bedsit places do not accept rent allowance. Some of the place I have seen, you wouldn't let a dog sleep in them.

Bedsits are not considered acceptable for rent supplement anymore ,
    This itself has cause more problems single people who were more then happy to live in a bedsit than had to find 1 bed apartments they didn't want and can barely afford ,

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They might be able to pay the rent allowance directly to you and you pay the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Moonbeam wrote: »
    They might be able to pay the rent allowance directly to you and you pay the landlord.

Would like to hear if this is the case, unfortunately it won't be as the last section of the rent allowance form is to be filled in by a Land Lord, I have been looking for somewhere myself since last year, adding to the fact that I have a diagnoses of Aspergers Syndrome I am unable to live with others and have been searching since December for a single place in Dublin.

RA is €520 a month max for a single person, you must pay a minimum of €140 a month so the max you can get is €380, no where in Dublin will rent out for this amount and accept Rent Allowance, I think a max of 5 places have popped up on Daft since December and they are gone in a matter of hours, it is a tough scene out there at the moment. I have seen a couple of places pop up in Athy for €500 or under but that is too far to commute as I am unable to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I lived in a large bedsit it was fine, there was a large a bathroom,on each floor, 3 flats on each floor.
    house was sold in 2010 ,before new rules came into force.
    There was 3 or 4 people there on ra,
    large 3 storey house .
    IT maybe possible to get an increase on ra ,limit, for in certain case,s for medical reasons ,at the descretion of the welfare officer.
    IF you have 42 per week, go to cumberland st, food centre, dublin 1,
    dinner,desert, tea, 1euro, monday to friday.
    OR focuspoint cafe, temple bar dinner,2 euro large dinner.
    I think theres a place ,near the quays ,church st, gives out food parcels monday-friday.
    GO to crosscare, cathedral st, near burger king, off o,connell st.
    GET advice re your situation.
    UNDER the new rules bedsits,are gone, for ra or any other person.

Advertisement