Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Laptop - No Receipt

Options
  • 29-03-2014 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

I bought a laptop for Christmas in power city for 429euro. It was working OK and for the past few weeks hasn't connected to wireless. I need it for study and cant rely on my phone. Everything else in the house connects.
    I have no receipt is there anything i can do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From a consumer point of view; did you pay cash or credit card? Since it's three months old, it'd probably be sent off to repair, so ensure you back up everything before bringing it back, as most repair companies will reinstall Windows first, to ensure the problem was not caused by software the customer installed.

From a tech point of view; what model laptop is it? Do you need to manually turn the wireless on? Have you installed any software prior to it stopping working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Does it connect to any other Wifi hotspots? Was anything changed on the Wifi router before it stopped connecting (new password, change of Wifi name or encryption type)?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭eildar

I bought a laptop for Christmas in power city for 429euro. It was working OK and for the past few weeks hasn't connected to wireless. I need it for study and cant rely on my phone. Everything else in the house connects.
    I have no receipt is there anything i can do.

Powercity always take a name and address etc. I had a problem with a tablet and couldn't find the receipt but because they had a record on system they replaced the tablet no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Than for the replys, it's a toshiba C50-d
    I hope they take it back. I'd be more inclined to take a credit note and get a different laptop. I can't wait for a repair

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Power City almost always attempt a repair first (as is their right). In this case, when it could be a driver issue or a loose cable to the antenna they definitely will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Have you done a troubleshoot yourself before you start bringing it back? I helped someone last year with a similar problem and it turned out that they'd (or a child had) just turned off the wifi on the laptop...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fatest way; back up all of your stuff to an external harddrive, DVDs, etc.

Then do the following (got it from another website);
    Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard and then press the computers power switch. When the computer turns on, the Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility screen will appear

may also if its in bootable condition work by pressing f8 at startup then repair my pc then factory recover option
    If it works, you'll have a working laptop straight away.

Advertisement