Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening a surgery?

Options
  • 29-03-2014 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

Im thinking of expanding into something else, my current business (site security) although there's plenty of money to be made I'm thinking about something that wont have me up and down the country and away from home all the time. A little retirement package (and hobby) close to home so to speak- Im not trying to make my millions here.

I had this idea and as its an area I have zero experience in, I just thought Id throw it out and see what the general consensus is.

Would it be worth trying to find a doctor/dentist/physiotherapist......animal vet (take your pick really) that's working for someone else and then offering them a fully kitted premises.

Basically, I'm thinking someone that's young and upcoming. Someone that's had a few years experience under someones wing and is just at the stage where hes ready to go it alone but doesn't have the money.

I buy the premises and buy the equipment and then I lock him in with a contract that says I take X amount of profit every week for X amount of years.

Would appreciate any opinions at all.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Lock him in.....?? No chance...he ups stcks and goes...and you've one empty surgery on your hands. And chasing someone in court would be a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭BillyBoy13

MidlandsM wrote: »
    he ups stcks and goes...and you've one empty surgery on your hands.

You say that like its a terribly bad thing.... If he does up sticks and away I still own the premises and I still own everything inside it so I can get someone else in. And by that stage it would be a more attractive deal for someone as it would be well established.

Now I know if he does leave some customers will follow him. But I think the majority would stay. I cant speak for everyone but the GP I go to, there's about 4 GP's working from the one place and you always end up getting rotated around them all. I mean when you're sick and the receptionist says "your regular doctor is not free until tomorrow after lunch- but if you want Dr Smith is free right this minute" you always end up seeing Dr Smith- well maybe thats just me :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

BillyBoy13 wrote: »
    You say that like its a terribly bad thing.... If he does up sticks and away I still own the premises and I still own everything inside it so I can get someone else in. And by that stage it would be a more attractive deal for someone as it would be well established.

:D

No. Because you'll have no clients. No one will be loyal or attend a clinic with no doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

and he takes all HIS patient records with him, you are toast!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Spice Girl

GPs can't advertise so it's difficult to get new patients. Maybe a clinic which offers a range of therapies - physio, GP etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

I think its a mad idea, equipment and setup alone will be a small fortune. A huge amount of risk too

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

BillyBoy13 wrote: »
    there's about 4 GP's working from the one place
    I think this business idea would be extremely risky, what you are saying is that you are going to kit out a premises for a Professional and take X amount of their profits. if this professional is reputable and wanted to expand, they could go to the bank and get the finance themselves.

A good friend of mine who was working as an Optician for the last 8 years has just bought a Specsavers franchise and is going it alone, she has no problem securing the finance.

Advertisement