Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS Query

Options
  • 29-03-2014 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Hoping to buy a NAS to plug into my UPC router and store variouis files (movies/backups etc). At the moment I watch movies on the tv via a WD media player/usb ext drive. In the future if I wanted to watch movies on various smart tv's around the house would I need a media player at each tv or can cat5 carry a video signal and be plugged direct into the tv

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Most current NAS devices are DLNA compatible which all smart TVs, laptops and the WDTV will pick up and stream the media directly off. I use all 3 devices (plus a PS3, iPad, multiple phones) on my server with a DLNA app and it works fine over my UPC router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

IF I run a cat5 from the UPC router (which the NAS is plugged into) to a smart tv upstairs can I simply plug the cat 5 into the smart tv and it will work or do I need to terminate the cat5 into a media player and then connect the media player to the smart tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

cubix wrote: »
    IF I run a cat5 froother. UPC router (which the NAS is plugged into) to a smart tv upstairs can I simply plug the cat 5 into the smart tv and it will work or do I need to terminate the cat5 into a media player and then connect the media player to the smart tv.
    That's fine, once the NAS and TV are connected to the same network (LAN or WiFi), then they can both see each other. Same goes for any other devices connected to the UPC router.

Advertisement