Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good PC games?

Options
  • 29-03-2014 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

I am looking for some new PC games to play. Ideally as a download (Steam, preferably). The price should be under €30.

Kind of games I like:

Indie games like Papers Please.
    Simulation games (e.g. FSX, TS2014, OMSI)
    WWII shooters (e,g. Medal of Honor, old Call of Duty games etc.)
    GTA type games.
    Strategy games (e.g. Company of Heroes, Total War etc.)
    Tycoon type games (e.g. Game Dev Tycoon, Theme Hospital)
    Sims games (The Sims 3, Sim City)
    I like MMO games like World of Tanks, but not multiplayer only FPS games (I prefere campaigns)

I would like to know in particular, if there is any other games like Papers Please.

Thanks in advance. :) (I think this is the right section ;) )

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Dead Space is free on Origin currently, so get that for a start at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Spear wrote: »

Um, no. Dead Space is a gimped console port with horrible mouse aiming controls that made me sick and QTEs that are ridiculously hard to execute at 60fps or higher. Not even worth the space on your HDD for free.

That said, SE are doing a sale and have the Hitman games heavily discounted so I suggest you pick them all up. Contracts isn't listed on steam, though... don't know why though and it's one of my favorites. http://store.steampowered.com/sub/26687/?snr=1_614_615_squareenixweekend2014_616_4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

X Com: Enemy Unknown + add on Enemy within for strategy

Spec Ops : The line for FPS

War Thunder for simulation

You'll have no time for a life after that let alone other games but if you do:

Civ 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

VG31 wrote: »
    Sims games (The Sims 3, Sim City)
    Prison Architect is a good Tycoon/Sim game. I haven't gone back to it in awhile (about 10 updates) but it was good fun back then.

Build Prison. Try keep inmates happy/alive/in prison. Try keep books balanced.

Good fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Prison Architect is a good Tycoon/Sim game. I haven't gone back to it in awhile (about 10 updates) but it was good fun back then.

Build Prison. Try keep inmates happy/alive/in prison. Try keep books balanced.

Good fun :)

Yes I thought Prison Architect looked good. I think it said it's still in alpha, so is it playable enough (not to many bugs)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

If your looking for a WW2 shooter with a community that's still active check out Rising Storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Prison architect is remarkably bug free for an alpha, it's just not feature complete. Still very very playable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Spear wrote: »

Thats like the worst PC game recc ever. Its a good game but holy jesus with a mouse its ****ed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Spunge wrote: »
    Thats like the worst PC game recc ever. Its a good game but holy jesus with a mouse its ****ed

It's more a recommendation of the free aspect for someone on a limited budget, and not the game itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

As you appreciate Papers Please, Cart Life is another game in the 'empathy' genre.

Crusader Kings 2, if you can get past the damn learning curve. Still dont know whats going on but everyone loves the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Really barebones one-man indie project: http://store.steampowered.com/app/204530/

I'm enjoying it quite a lot, he's patching it very regularly so it's developing into a nice time waster. :P (might be better to put on your wishlist hoping for a sale though)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

any serious pc gamer should have a decent gamepad anyway so dead space mouse control issues aren't a thing except for casuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Oh and since you like RTS games: http://store.steampowered.com/app/251060/

That's the latest installment that's coming out (it's in open-beta for anyone who pre-purchases it at this stage as well as 25% off for people who own the previous game). It's a lot more simulation-like than CoH or the Total War series, you need to care about things like fuel, ammo, morale etc as well as there being no base building. Fun, but a rather steep learning curve and having a niche audience makes the multiplayer quite harsh. :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Found it was fine with a mouse once you disable vsync.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Sand

A shooter on the PC that doesn't have decent mouse support isn't worth the bother of downloading and installing. If the makers of Dead Space cant be bothered implementing a decent game, there are plenty of alternatives that do. I second the "Even free its a waste of drive space" vote on Dead Space.

Given the type of games the OP mentions, Crusader Kings 2/Europa Universalis IV could be good. Alternatively, try a sim like the Silent Hunter series (with mods) or even Arma 3. For something a bit more odd you could try Project Zomboid or Planet Explorers, both of which are still in Early Access on Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I thought that as well. Turns out there's a vsync bug that ****s up the mouse input. Switch it off and everything is well with the world. (assuming that's your gripe, I found it perfectly playable with mouse once I discovered that issue).

EDit: Sorry didn't see the post above mentioning the same fix.

EDIT2: My recommendations are World of Tanks and totally different and not without issues but I've put some crazy man hours into Mount and Blade Warband. Such a cracking game.

World in Conflict is a great little RTS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

5uspect wrote: »
    World in Conflict is a great little RTS.

imo the best storytelling game too. maybe not the best story but i can't think of another game that told its story as well as WiC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

The original Deus Ex.

14 years old now but still a very very good cyberpunk RPG/Action game....bit of a classic at this stage. Very good reviews all round. I've played and completed it countless times. Mad atmosphere.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/6910/

Edit - There's also a graphics mod for it that updates all textures etc....well worth having.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-vision

imo the best storytelling game too. maybe not the best story but i can't think of another game that told its story as well as WiC.

I've very fond memories of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Found it was fine with a mouse once you disable vsync.

I finished it on pc, I remember there was a very easy fix for it... So people are bit over reacting and did not even bothered googling to fix an issue.
    All in all dead space 1 is a fantastic game.

Op:

Try tropico 4, one of the most fun sim games and can be gotten for pennies.

Nigga i googled the **** out of it v-sync removed was still fcking weird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army is worth a go as well, if you can pick it up cheap. I managed to pick the first and second one for ~€3 each. Best game I have played in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Colonial

Tropico series
    Prison architect
    Rust
    Endless space

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

have you tried "DayZ Standalone" it is a great game.

Then there is "Infestation Survivor Stories" was called "WarZ" it is kind of like DayZ just more arcady.

Have a look on this site as well, it has good prices for games.
    Dayz is sold out on there at the mo but Infestation is only €4.54 on there

https://www.g2a.com/r/chewythefirst

And there is a great website to always keep an eye on for great deals, and the money you spend goes to charity's of your choosing. company's give them games to sell and as far as i know it all goes to the charity's.

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

have you tried "DayZ Standalone" it is a great game.

Then there is "Infestation Survivor Stories" was called "WarZ" it is kind of like DayZ just more arcady.

Have a look on this site as well, it has good prices for games.
    Dayz is sold out on there at the mo but Infestation is only €4.54 on there

https://www.g2a.com/r/chewythefirst

WarZ? Wasn't that the worst game ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

WarZ? Wasn't that the worst game ever?

No i wouldnt say that, i quite enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I finished it on pc, I remember there was a very easy fix for it... So people are bit over reacting and did not even bothered googling to fix an issue.
    All in all dead space 1 is a fantastic game.

The games mouse controls are absolutely screwed. It's to do with how it was programmed on consoles. Controls were tied to the performance of the machine. Basically the crappier your rig and the closer it was to the console performance the better the controls. The controls get worse on a high spec machine where the cursor is molasses slow.

Only fix I know of is to use a gamepad.

Advertisement