Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good PC games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The games mouse controls are absolutely screwed. It's to do with how it was programmed on consoles. Controls were tied to the performance of the machine. Basically the crappier your rig and the closer it was to the console performance the better the controls. The controls get worse on a high spec machine where the cursor is molasses slow.

Only fix I know of is to use a gamepad.

Well, I finished game with no Issues after doing some fix I found by googling. I cant remember what fix was it, but it worked like a charm and I had no more issues with DS1.
    Yes, it has this issue, but there is an easy fix and it is perfectly playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I finished it on pc, I remember there was a very easy fix for it... So people are bit over reacting and did not even bothered googling to fix an issue.

Having to google to fix a PC game in 2008 or whenever it was ported over? Seriously?

The idea that PC games are in some way routinely unreliable or require you to open up the hood to get working is a myth from back in the 1990s or even earlier. Well designed games work. Badly designed games don't. Dead Space on PC was a lazy, badly implemented game (it seems the designers couldn't be arsed googling the solution) and there are plenty of better alternatives for survival horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Sand wrote: »
    Having to google to fix a PC game in 2008 or whenever it was ported over? Seriously?

The idea that PC games are in some way routinely unreliable or require you to open up the hood to get working is a myth from back in the 1990s or even earlier. Well designed games work. Badly designed games don't. Dead Space on PC was a lazy, badly implemented game (it seems the designers couldn't be arsed googling the solution) and there are plenty of better alternatives for survival horror.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

So what your are trying to say is that all them FEATURES that are in the game to tweak with the controls to make them work best for you are the problem???

I dont know any game i own that i haven't opened the setting and tweaked with something to get it to the way i felt worked best for me.

End of the day it just seems you hate the game, and that is ok. you are allowed to.

If you really like a game you will do what ever it takes to play it and if that means fixing some settings that should have been done already or just tweaking ones you dont like it is not the end of the world.

So what your are trying to say is that all them FEATURES that are in the game to tweak with the controls to make them work best for you are the problem???

Broken controls are not a feature. They are broken.

@Shadowhearth
    What?

Yeah, that's what I said. Googling to fix a broken game made by supposed professionals. Christ almighty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I had a similar problem although the reverse, with skyrim, played it for 50 hours then a new patch ****ed it again. Basically after you disable v-sync the y-axis speed of the mouse becomes tied to your current fps. Drove mef ucking bananas and had to quit. God damn ports.

Broken controls are not a feature. They are broken.

Well i am guessing that the guy never went into the code of the game to fix it, only the settings. now i might be wrong but if it can be tweaked with and work then again it isn't the end of the world.

Well i am guessing that the guy never went into the code of the game to fix it, only the settings. now i might be wrong but if it can be tweaked with and work then again it isn't the end of the world.

But there is better games, made by better devs (even amateurs) that don't require people to fix games they already spent money on. What you're basically saying is something simple and easy to fix went right through their quality control without any fix. I agree, but you seem to think that's acceptable in when I think its just lazy and a sign of poor quality. I allow for errors and bugs with alphas, early releases and mods - not for full price games. State of Decay on PC was released early without mouse support (still worked for everything bar the radio), but the devs were up front and offered the game cheap. Dead Space was sold full price as a quality product.

Recommending a lazy, badly made game to someone is a bad recommendation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

But the problem is easily fixed, it's available for free and the game itself is great.. sounds like a pretty good recommendation to me, which I would gladly second

But there is better games, made by better devs (even amateurs) that don't require people to fix games they already spent money on. What you're basically saying is something simple and easy to fix went right through their quality control without any fix. I agree, but you seem to think that's acceptable in when I think its just lazy and a sign of poor quality. I allow for errors and bugs with alphas, early releases and mods - not for full price games. State of Decay on PC was released early without mouse support (still worked for everything bar the radio), but the devs were up front and offered the game cheap. Dead Space was sold full price as a quality product.

But the problem is easily fixed, it's available for free and the game itself is great.. sounds like a pretty good recommendation to me, which I would gladly second

And having played it using a xbox controller and know how good it is i also would recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 WanderingElk

Cant go wrong with skyrim or old school age of empires

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Irrelevant excuse for moaning. You buy a game. Something is wrong with it. You find a relatively straight-forward fix for it online. Serious problem now presents itself - apply fix and play the game or sit there and hate the developers for not doing a proper job on it? Hmm a toughie. I've lost count of the amount of times I've googled fixes for various game issues. Part of the life of a PC gamer rightly or wrongly. I'm not saying criticism for the state of the game is unwarranted but given this scenario where something I can do will allow me to play the game then I will do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

mewso wrote: »
    Irrelevant excuse for moaning. You buy a game. Something is wrong with it. You find a relatively straight-forward fix for it online. Serious problem now presents itself - apply fix and play the game or sit there and hate the developers for not doing a proper job on it? Hmm a toughie. I've lost count of the amount of times I've googled fixes for various game issues. Part of the life of a PC gamer rightly or wrongly. I'm not saying criticism for the state of the game is unwarranted but given this scenario where something I can do will allow me to play the game then I will do so.

There's a legitimate argument in that larger publishers shouldn't be releasing ports that are broken. Fan fixes are great, but really they should be for getting older games to work on new OSs not fixing something in a new enough game that the developer should have handled themselves. Skyrim's memory issues on release were a good example of this kind of nonsense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

nesf wrote: »
    There's a legitimate argument in that larger publishers shouldn't be releasing ports that are broken. Fan fixes are great, but really they should be for getting older games to work on new OSs not fixing something in a new enough game that the developer should have handled themselves. Skyrim's memory issues on release were a good example of this kind of nonsense.

Like I said nesf I'm not saying all is sweetness and light when these things happen but if you have the game and there is a simple fix you're going to get on with it. When it comes to Dead Space I have never played it but just got it free from Origin so I suppose I'll be googling for a fix myself when I get around to playing it. Then again I don't have a controller, only a mouse so as Sir Digby says I'm not a real gamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

mewso wrote: »
    Like I said nesf I'm not saying all is sweetness and light when these things happen but if you have the game and there is a simple fix you're going to get on with it. When it comes to Dead Space I have never played it but just got it free from Origin so I suppose I'll be googling for a fix myself when I get around to playing it. Then again I don't have a controller, only a mouse so as Sir Digby says I'm not a real gamer.

Nah, my point is more that it shouldn't be "It was broke, but it's ok there's a fix" but "There's a fix but it isn't ok that it's broke." I'm happy to have fixes come out, some games only really come to shine with user modding but there should be a clarfication that this kind of thing isn't ok, people shouldn't have to rely on user fixes for recent games to run properly (as opposed to better, e.g. I don't think the high res mods for Skyrim speak badly of Bethesda).

I would get a controller though, it makes like easier and they aren't that expensive. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I thought the mouse control felt off in Dead Space, despite toggling the v-sync option (as per internet suggestion).

I did not enjoy the dismemberment mechanic in-practise either, despite appreciating that the developer was trying something novel. These issues may have, each, exasperated the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

There is currently no proper fix for the Dead Space 1 PC controls. There's a few ways to reduce the bad effect but nothing can get rid of it completely. I even tried the gamepad technique and it was honestly no better in my opinion. Don't forget the FPS problem I mentioned earlier. If you're playing at 60fps (or god forbid any higher) the QTEs require double the amount of inputs because the tick-rate of them is tied to the original console fps, 30. Not only are QTEs a bad gaming mechanic, they're worse on PC because who honestly wants to mash their keyboard keys? Try doing that at 120fps which is what I played it at, I'd have to mash the keys 4 times faster than you would on the console.

The game is borked, no exception. It's an absolute waste of your time, internet bandwidth and HDD space to play it on PC. I picked it up for 5 quid in a bargain bin for ps3. It's a good game, EA just dun goofed as usual. And now the series is a mess. If you're desperate for horror there's lots of good alternatives that work perfect on PC out there. Penumbra series, Amnesia series, System Shock series, Outlast, F.E.A.R 1.

Silent Hill games on PC take a bit of tweaking to get right. I've got the unofficial patch running for SH2 to get it to 1080 and use only one CPU core (without needing to set affinity every time it boots) and SH3 luckily has config files you can edit to get to 1080 or more as well. Then I use a mix of a xinput wrapper for my DS3 gamepad and Xpadder to get the controls as close to the original PS2 controls as possible. (will share the profiles if anyone wants) Sh4 takes too much effort to get to run in a higher res with proper FOV in my opinion, but the game itself performs ok. Sh3 with a decent sound card and headphones is f'ing scary when you get it all set up perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Surprised no one's mentioned FTL. Buy FTL.
    Rogue Legacy is also good fun if you're into sidescrolling platforming kind of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

There is currently no proper fix for the Dead Space 1 PC controls. There's a few ways to reduce the bad effect but nothing can get rid of it completely. I even tried the gamepad technique and it was honestly no better in my opinion. Don't forget the FPS problem I mentioned earlier. If you're playing at 60fps (or god forbid any higher) the QTEs require double the amount of inputs because the tick-rate of them is tied to the original console fps, 30. Not only are QTEs a bad gaming mechanic, they're worse on PC because who honestly wants to mash their keyboard keys? Try doing that at 120fps which is what I played it at, I'd have to mash the keys 4 times faster than you would on the console.

The game is borked, no exception. It's an absolute waste of your time, internet bandwidth and HDD space to play it on PC. I picked it up for 5 quid in a bargain bin for ps3. It's a good game, EA just dun goofed as usual. And now the series is a mess. If you're desperate for horror there's lots of good alternatives that work perfect on PC out there. Penumbra series, Amnesia series, System Shock series, Outlast, F.E.A.R 1.

Silent Hill games on PC take a bit of tweaking to get right. I've got the unofficial patch running for SH2 to get it to 1080 and use only one CPU core (without needing to set affinity every time it boots) and SH3 luckily has config files you can edit to get to 1080 or more as well. Then I use a mix of a xinput wrapper for my DS3 gamepad and Xpadder to get the controls as close to the original PS2 controls as possible. (will share the profiles if anyone wants) Sh4 takes too much effort to get to run in a higher res with proper FOV in my opinion, but the game itself performs ok. Sh3 with a decent sound card and headphones is f'ing scary when you get it all set up perfectly.

FOV, v-sync , aspect ratio, mouse speed. ****ing ports man.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Surprised no one's mentioned FTL. Buy FTL.
    Rogue Legacy is also good fun if you're into sidescrolling platforming kind of games.

This,

These games are cheap, cheerful and a really good example of the Indy gaming surge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Christ, Rogue Legacy is like crack. I've lost whole nights and a significant chunk of the following mornings to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I can't bare platformers! I bought Deadlight in a steam sale, purely because it was about €2.99 and I saw zombies and I like zombie games, didn't know it was a platformer. I tried to enjoy it but I just couldn't.

There are loads of good free to play games OP. Planetside 2 is amazing. War Thunder and Warframe are also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Colonial

Project Zomboid

Sarky wrote: »
    Christ, Rogue Legacy is like crack. I've lost whole nights and a significant chunk of the following mornings to it.

What type of game is Rogue Legacy? I would google it but I am in work now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

ROUGE type of game :)

Start game, kill things, die, upgrade - repeat.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Splinter Cell Blacklist is only £1.99 over at simplygames ...it uses that awful uplay but great for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

5uspect wrote: »
    World in Conflict is a great little RTS.

I was actually only thinking of that last night and couldn't remember the name at the time. Got it a few years back for Christmas.

"What was that great RTS where the USSR invaded europe and the US?"

Yea, the storyline/cinematics were fantastic, very immersive and a great "what if.." scenario. Is it on offer anywhere? I've long since lost the DVD :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Tenner on Steam. I've stuck it on the wishlist; if it dropped in a sale I'll pick it up again

http://store.steampowered.com/app/21760/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

cos ten euro is just naked profiteering for one of the best games of the genre :D

Advertisement