Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Significant Windows 7 slow down?

Options
  • 29-03-2014 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I bought a computer a few years ago, it was grand, perfectly up to speed and rarely froze. Fast forward a few years later, I have the same PC, but it does seem to experience a bit of lag, and seems to get very hot and isn't working efficiently, I have both Ubuntu and Windows 7 on the PC, Ubuntu doesn't have this issue, but Windows 7 does, so, my assumption is it's a problem with the OS. I haven't got it professionally cleaned, but I opened it and got some dust out myself, it's not very dusty, so I don't think that's the problem. I did have a number of viruses on it, but I ran a full scan with Malware Bytes, and these are all gone and I regularly do a quick scan now. It's speed has increased a bit, but not significantly. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Or would I be best off buying a new copy of Windows?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Windows does tend to slow down as the system gets more congested with data/programs, but Win 7 is generally better then other Microsoft OS's I've used. If you haven't already download CCleaner Free and in the "Cleaner" menu click "Run Cleaner". This may take a little while if it's not been done in a while but it will remove files you will have downloaded by browsing the web etc. When this is done select "Registry" and click "Scan for issues". When it's finished you will see a list of registry issues. Just click "Fix selected issues" and it will ask if you want to back up registry. Back up if you want but I never bother. You should repeat this registry process a few times as it will discover more issues that have been created by the last clean out. Following that you can select "Tools" and then "Startup" and stop any unnecessary programs being loaded automatically when Windows starts. If you are uncertain as to weather or not you need a start up process, just ask us here, or Google it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I feel quite stupid, I had cleaned the PC, and thought I cleaned out the CPU fan sufficiently, but I decided to open it up to double check and remove the CPU fan, and I learned it was clogged with dust. It's running perfectly again now that I cleaned it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

GO to control panel, adminisration, services,
    theres a lot of services you can disable,
    eg, bluetooth,remote diagnostics, touch screen etc
    i switched off about 7 services on my win 7 laptop.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I feel quite stupid, I had cleaned the PC, and thought I cleaned out the CPU fan sufficiently, but I decided to open it up to double check and remove the CPU fan, and I learned it was clogged with dust. It's running perfectly again now that I cleaned it out.

This happened me before! Actually replaced my video card at first as I thought the slowdown/freezing (mainly in games/watching videos) was due to it.

Nick

Advertisement