Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing address

Options
  • 29-03-2014 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Okay, I want to move out of the house I'm currently living in due to fact I just cannot afford to live here any more, my lease is up at the end of May and my landlord has allowed me to use my deposit as my last months rent. I'm planning on moving in with my grandparents for a while.

I have interviews coming up sometime in May for colleges I have applied for and need the money to be able to travel to and from and get a car back on the road if I'm successful in bagging a place on the course I want.

I have been on JSA since September of last year and was on Benefits for 9 months before that so I'm not overly familiar on how it works when I'm changing address. I know I'll be means tested but will my grandparents income be taken into account considering they're both on a pension? And if it does, will my money be cut by much?
    I'm also worried they're going to ask me a bunch of questions as to why I'm moving back, does that tend to happen? I moved to Galway this time last year in the hopes of getting a job but to no avail, had a few interviews but came out with zero luck.

I'll be heading in Tuesday to ask about moving and just wanted a bit of heads up as to what the deal is, will I be waiting long for the changeover?

Sorry for all the questions and I hope someone out there can put my mind at ease.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

The means test would only take into account a spouse's, civil partner's or cohabitant's income and the income of your parents if you were under 25 and living with them in the family home. Your grandparents' incomes will not be relevant. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/means_test_for_jobseekers_allowance.html

The SW Office will require proof of your new address, such as a utility bill or bank statement before payment would switch to new office.

You're not likely to be asked too many questions. Sounds as if you are eligible for Back to Education Allowance and you'll need to apply for that as soon as you get a college place. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Okay, I want to move out of the house I'm currently living in due to fact I just cannot afford to live here any more, my lease is up at the end of May and my landlord has allowed me to use my deposit as my last months rent. I'm planning on moving in with my grandparents for a while.

I have interviews coming up sometime in May for colleges I have applied for and need the money to be able to travel to and from and get a car back on the road if I'm successful in bagging a place on the course I want.

I have been on JSA since September of last year and was on Benefits for 9 months before that so I'm not overly familiar on how it works when I'm changing address. I know I'll be means tested but will my grandparents income be taken into account considering they're both on a pension? And if it does, will my money be cut by much?
    I'm also worried they're going to ask me a bunch of questions as to why I'm moving back, does that tend to happen? I moved to Galway this time last year in the hopes of getting a job but to no avail, had a few interviews but came out with zero luck.

I'll be heading in Tuesday to ask about moving and just wanted a bit of heads up as to what the deal is, will I be waiting long for the changeover?

Sorry for all the questions and I hope someone out there can put my mind at ease.
    You dont say what part of the country you will be moving to. If you are moving away from the office you claim at then you need to go into the the new office and ask for your claim to be transferred. You will need to have proof of address e.g. a recent utility bill in your grandparents name and a letter from them stating your living there along with your photo ID. If its at the same office your are at now but a change of address then you will just have to bring in proof of address.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ParamoreBaby

Hi guys, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm moving county back to Longford where I first signed on to begin with. The first change over of address was simple as I was on Benefits due to losing my job and it was just a straight cancel in Longford and existing claim in Galway and I didn't have to do much at all. But I was told with allowance it's all different?
    I'm assuming two changes of address in one year isn't a problem?

So it just should be an easy transfer once again? I always panic when it comes to sorting out things on the dole because I'm just not used to it all and the quicker I can get off it the better.

Yes, I know I'm eligible for the back to education which is why I applied for college, I assume it's the same sort of applying as when you're a mature student?

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me.

Advertisement