Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Bayern Munich UCL Q/F 1/4/'14 K/O 19.45

• 29-03-2014 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

manchester_united___bayern_munchen_by_jafarjeef-d7bpxja.jpg

With the thoughts turning to this already after the Villa game let's get the match thread up & running.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

2-0 Bayern. Pep to sacrifice a goat on the sidelines at half time to ensure his side's victory.

*Insert comment about EPO*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

The expressions on the managers faces say it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Game of this proportions needs to be sold more zerks dammit.

Live: TV3, Comedy Central, ITV

72 hours left for Moyes and Guardiola to perfect their gameplans.

The current Premier league champions go head to head with the current Bundesliga champions. Bayern's 19 game win streak in the league ended today with a draw against Hoffenheim, United had a somewhat comparable 4 game win streak in December and today recorded their second win of the season over Aston Villa.

Bayern went through both times Fergie met them in the CL Q-final so it is up to Moyes to upstage his predecessor and get United through, the sky really is the limit after that. It is a game that could see some great match ups Rooney v Boateng, Carrick v Schweinsteiger, Jones v Mandzukic & Buttner v Robben. United have won all of their home games in the CL this season whereas Bayern have won all of their away games. The unstoppable force meeting the unmovable object.

It's the Red Devils versus Die Roten, it's Moyes versus Pep, it's good versus evil.... and it's live.

Who will be the fool on the 1st of April?

Head tells me Bayern win by 3 goals

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Utd with nothing to lose as everyone is expecting Bayern to roll them over.
    I think they will, 0-3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Bayern are going to make a show of us.

• Advertisement

In regards to team, Moyes tried something new against City and it turned out badly.

I wouldn't be surprised if he went with something like this on Tuesday

DDG
    Raf Jones Vidic Buttner
    Valencia Carrick Fellaini Young
    Rooney
    Welbeck

Rooney slotting into midfield when we're defending and using the pace of Young, Valencia and Welbeck on the counter. There's not much end product there though.

We're likely to lose no matter what we do so I'd prefer to see Kagawa in the hole and Rooney up front, that'll probably give us our best chance of getting something from the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

1-3 first leg, 2-0 second leg, can't see us getting much joy against them, they're some team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

I can see us catching them out early on and nicking the first goal. We'll then sit back and Bayern will take us for a ride.

1-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

article-2585919-1C781EEC00000578-431_634x605.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

0-2 or 1-3 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

To dream ... the impossible dream ...

To fight ... the unbeatable foe ...

To bear ... with unbearable sorrow ...

To run ... where the brave dare not go ...

To right ... the unrightable wrong ...

To love ... pure and chaste from afar ...

To try ... when your arms are too weary ...

To reach ... the unreachable star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Its going to be bad, can still pray and hope though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Its on April Fools Day ...................Utd win 2-1

zerks wrote: »
    article-2585919-1C781EEC00000578-431_634x605.jpg

**** lads. They've us even beat in "Crosses attempted"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Turned a fiver into 35 quid with city -2
    Now to turn 35 into 165 with Bayern -2

Executions are less gruesome than this...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Thread is half an hour old and this still hasn't been posted?

Chagan wrote: »
    Thread is half an hour old and this still hasn't been posted?

Cardiff don't have a match that night so he might be available.

I'll get on the blower to Becks. See what the craic is.

Beat me to it Zerks. Had the crests and everything :(

rarnes1 wrote: »

We don't take kindly to your kind starting threads around here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

The is how the match is going to go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNV8h_PR11M

• Advertisement

Timmyctc wrote: »
    We don't take kindly to your kind starting threads around here

1 win from 1 though tbf!

Regarding the game, if Bayern turn up with their A game they'll be hard stopped. I think they'll win the tie but this game could be tight enough. Will be interesting how Utd set up. You were more balanced as a team today imo.

rarnes1 wrote: »

And not an aeroplane to be seen;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ah ffs man thats cruel! re:Tiger v Cow vid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Gulp..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Think this will be tighter than people expect over two legs. 2-2 first leg, 2-1 second leg Munich to go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

I have no idea why, but I've a feeling we will get a decent result. Possibly 1-1 or 2-2.

double GG wrote: »
    I have no idea why, but I've a feeling we will get a decent result. Possibly 1-1 or 2-2.

I'd say it's the beer

City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs games were the real tests and we've failed really

Being realistic it should be Bayern by a few goals at least, but anything can happen in football yada yada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I think Bayern will win 3-0. As a neutral I'm just hoping for a lot of goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Thiago is out injured for 6-8 weeks which means the outcome is.............. likely to be the same as bayern will just play another world class midfield in his place.

can we have just one of your midfielders, please?

• Advertisement

I can see United getting a good result or what seems like a good result at the time. Like back in 07 when we beat AC 3-2 and it seemed like a great result then went away to the San Siro and got spanked 3-0.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I can't see all hope being dashed at OT and I think Utd will take a draw into the second leg.

Wish I knew where this optimism was coming from with the "United can get a result" stuff....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

United park the bus, put in a heroic defensive performance and draw. Only way United will get anything out of this match is if they keep all ten outfield players in their own area or just a tiny bit outside it and practice plenty of pre-rehearsed counter attacks. They could possibly defend with 9 and leave giggs on the free line walking about to spray passing for counter attacks. Their midfield is useless and Bayern's midfield is everything opposite of that so no point even trying to be positive. Defend the rafters like mad and hope Bayern get sloppy.

Can see that happening but if you were to play this fixture ten times Bayern would probably win 9 or 10 of them. So, Bayern to win then but stranger things have happened in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

DCZbH.png

Jernal wrote: »
    Only way United will get anything out of this match is if they keep all ten outfield players in their own area or just a tiny bit outside it and practice plenty of pre-rehearsed counter attacks.

This has worked so well for Moyes this season too :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Champions league knock out ties at OT are always special occasions. Great to be in this position even if we are huge outsiders. It's frightening but in reality we've nothing to lose so should look forward to it. In saying that, I think I'll try sneak in a half bottle of vodka to drown myself if/when things go tits up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I fear!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I fear!!!!!!!!!

Oooh double the fear that's bad. Very bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

United are 7/1. Ridiculous price at home , even if it is against Bayern !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

100/1 to win 2 legs I see in Boyles. Might be more now.

I think it will be 5-1 on Agg to Bayern. 0-3 and 2-1.

Got to have some incentive for betting on Utd.

Bayern resting most of their first team and all for this. There was no need for that, overestimating us Pep is

Hopefully we aren't humiliated

50 years ago was the biggest defeat we had in Europe.In 1964 Sporting Lisbon beat us 5-0,c'mon Dave!! Another record is waiting to be broken.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I can see alot of people having egg on their faces after this. United will not be embarrassed here, I wouldn't be suprised to have something going into the 2nd leg. Arsenal wernt embarrassed and they have been embarrassed by the top 4 this season.

kona wrote: »
    I can see alot of people having egg on their faces after this. United will not be embarrassed here, I wouldn't be suprised to have something going into the 2nd leg. Arsenal wernt embarrassed and they have been embarrassed by the top 4 this season.

Barring Arsenal, we have been utterly embarrassed by the top 7 this season :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

@RedIssue: "in a bid to even up the contest, UEFA will instruct #mufc coaching staff to pick Bayern's side for their clash at OT..."

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Barring Arsenal, we have been utterly embarrassed by the top 7 this season :pac:

That's true , but we also embarrassed Leverkusen :p (rubbish team but still!)

spiralism wrote: »
    @RedIssue: "in a bid to even up the contest, UEFA will instruct #mufc coaching staff to pick Bayern's side for their clash at OT..."

Give them cleverly and welbeck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Unless Bayern get about 4 lads sent off in the first ten minutes we haven't a notion. It could be a loss of epic proportions, perhaps a record CL loss for us. Will probably be a somewhat heroic performance with Bayern picking us off at will once they decide to up it.

Rafael to get sent off too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement