Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Bayern Munich UCL Q/F 1/4/'14 K/O 19.45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

WallyGUFC wrote: »

Rafael to get sent off too!

Actually will look and see if odds on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Actually will look and see if odds on this.

Evens or below I'd say. Fell + Raf to be carded anytime along with Bayern to win to nil. Someone find the combined odds for me there.

We may be humiliated but damnit if I can't make a few bob out of it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

For some reason I have a feeling this will not be as one sided as most people are making out, and it'll be 2-2 or perhaps 2-1 to utd somehow.

The injuries in defence though really makes the above seem nonsensical as I saw earlier that Rafael and Buttner are doubts, with Evra suspended, so it'll be really makeshift back there. It could be ugly, but I think (with no rational evidence to back this up) that utd will get a better result than expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Buttner at over 2/1 to be carded, bet of the match. Robben with be very hard to stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Headshot wrote: »
    Buttner at over 2/1 to be carded, bet of the match. Robben with be very hard to stop diving

FYP :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Buttner Raf and Fellaini all nailed on for yellows, absolutely no question about it if all of them play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

If the recent form against quality sides continues then Bayern should win this game by 3-4 goals. If they do not then it is purely down to them not grasping the nettle and allowing United off the hook. If Pep has been watching their last few games, which of course he has been, he will see that by controlling possession similar to the Arsenal game (80%) they simply only need to convert a few of the numerous chances that will inevtiably come their way.

Amazing to see posts where United fans are confident of getting a result here, wanting/willing/hoping/praying yes ... confident ... sweet jesus no.

Bayern will go to OT and boss the game, control it for much of the 90mins, and score a minimum of 2 goals. It all depends on how adventurous Pep wants them to be after reaching 2 away goals. We seen in the home game Pep basically instructed them to relax and just play the game out, Arsenal did ok after their goal but people reading too much into it after that. Bayern were in 2nd gear.

Not saying it will be a cakewalk for Bayern, i am sure United will put up some huff and puff, but it'll go the same way as the Liverpool/City results. Over by the second leg.

If the recent form against quality sides continues then Bayern should win this game by 3-4 goals. If they do not then it is purely down to them not grasping the nettle and allowing United off the hook. If Pep has been watching their last few games, which of course he has been, he will see that by controlling possession similar to the Arsenal game (80%) they simply only need to convert a few of the numerous chances that will inevtiably come their way.

Amazing to see posts where United fans are confident of getting a result here, wanting/willing/hoping/praying yes ... confident ... sweet jesus no.

Bayern will go to OT and boss the game, control it for much of the 90mins, and score a minimum of 2 goals. It all depends on how adventurous Pep wants them to be after reaching 2 away goals. We seen in the home game Pep basically instructed them to relax and just play the game out, Arsenal did ok after their goal but people reading too much into it after that. Bayern were in 2nd gear.

Not saying it will be a cakewalk for Bayern, i am sure United will put up some huff and puff, but it'll go the same way as the Liverpool/City results. Over by the second leg.

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Bayern are shorter odds to win the tie by 7 goals or more (13/2) than Utd are to win this match. (7/1). :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Evens or below I'd say. Fell + Raf to be carded anytime along with Bayern to win to nil. Someone find the combined odds for me there.

We may be humiliated but damnit if I can't make a few bob out of it.

Rafael 9/5 to be a shown a card with 888. Happy Christmas to those that can actually still get a bet on with them. Just wait until the team is announced however. I had a very small bet on United - 1 at 28s. Fucck it if we win it might as well be by a couple

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

sorry but if united get 4 shots on target over the 2 legs i'll be impressed. gonna be a blood bath with this ruthless juggernaut

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

United host the European and German champions in the first leg of the tie on Tuesday.

Whilst United are coming into the game off the back of victory over Aston Villa - their season has been a woeful one, with the Champions League their last hope of any silverware and likely their only route into Europe.

But with their domestic title already sewn-up, Robben does not believe United will pose any threat to Bayern's quest for a second successive European crown.

"Bayern have no fear of United at all," he told the Sunday Mirror.

"Take our game against Schalke the other week. We played in such a high tempo, that we were 4-0 up within 30 minutes. We don't let our opponents come up for air. That is the Bayern of Guardiola.

"Guardiola has turned us into the most dominant team in Europe. We have made another giant step as a team this season.

"We are more dominant than we have been. From the very first minute we put massive pressure on our opponents and are capable of keeping the ball and putting them under pressure for the full 90 minutes.

"Guardiola is very demanding. He asks a lot from his players. Every day it is so intense. But I love that. Our playing style is even more attacking than last year. Then we used to play compact, and we let the other team come into our half sometimes, so we could hit them with the counter-attack.

"But this manager is tactically so strong. He is always pointing out where we can find the space to get one-on-one situations. He teaches us to make quick sprints and runs without the ball.

"So it becomes a total clockwork. It is fascinating to play in that system. The chances of winning more trophies in the next few years are huge."

Ready
    Robben says that Bayern are looking forward to facing United.

"No team can have stroll to the final. We are facing Manchester United, a big name in world football. But we are razor sharp," he said.

"Our football is phenomenal and we want to show that more than anywhere in the Champions League.

"Playing United is the sort of thing that really gets the best out of me. We won the German League last week. But we were not even bothered about that. Nobody in the dressing room was talking about it. We knew ages ago we would win the title.

"Beating every team in the Champions League is our big thing. The Champions League is what we want again, especially after winning it at Wembley last year."

United defender Alex Buttner, who will start at left-back for United as Patrice Evra is suspended, knows he faces a tough task keeping Robben in check but says he he will not shy away from the fight.

He said: "I feel confident about playing them. I know what Arjen Robben can do and I am ready for him. I have watched him so I know how he plays.

"It is not under discussion how good he is. We all know that, but I want to do well against him. I will do everything I can to stop him."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

2 quick Bayern goals and a 0-4 loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Possible team

de Gea
    - Rafael - Jones - Ferdinand - Smalling - Vidic - Evra
    Carrick --- Fellaini --- Kagawa
    Rooney

Can we have 2 keepers ? .. If so remove Rooney and add Lindergaard :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lol, as if Kagawa will get to play...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Fingers and toes at the ready folks, this could get messy over two legs. Footballing logic suggests that Bayern will win this without breaking sweat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

DDG
    Smalling
    Rio
    Vidic
    Buttner
    Valencia
    Giggs
    Jones
    Carrick
    Welbeck
    Rooney

That's how I think Moyes will like out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I think we will win 3-0 :D.. I really do.

I also think we will need at least 3 at home to be in with a chance away..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Read a stat on thescore.ie: In the City game Carrick,Fellaini & Cleverley played a total of 136 passes between them,at the same time in the Bundesliga,Philip Lahm playing in the "Carrick" role played 134 passes with a completion rate of 100%.

He has a 95% completion rate in the Champions League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

5starpool wrote: »
    For some reason I have a feeling this will not be as one sided as most people are making out, and it'll be 2-2 or perhaps 2-1 to utd somehow.

The injuries in defence though really makes the above seem nonsensical as I saw earlier that Rafael and Buttner are doubts, with Evra suspended, so it'll be really makeshift back there. It could be ugly, but I think (with no rational evidence to back this up) that utd will get a better result than expected.

Well, we all know what feelings are worth...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

COYW wrote: »
    Fingers and toes at the ready folks, this could get messy over two legs. Footballing logic suggests that Bayern will win this without breaking sweat.

Tbh, they will probably murder Utd 1-0 at Old Trafford. 70-80% possession but 1 goal.

I don't think this will be the bloodbath people think.

Tbh, they will probably murder Utd 1-0 at Old Trafford. 70-80% possession but 1 goal.

I don't think this will be the bloodbath people think.

Why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Why not?

Because I expect that Utd will raise their game significantly and that without the weight of expectation and pressure, they will play better.

Also, Bayern may go into this game a little too confident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

For United to have any chance they will need to stop Munich from scoring an away goal and hope to sneak one themselves. Can't see it happening but football is a crazy game and Moyes aside United despite the season they are having still have some players to hurt Munich. That said I'll go 3-1 to the Germans.

Because I expect that Utd will raise their game significantly and that without the weight of expectation and pressure, they will play better.

Also, Bayern may go into this game a little too confident.

They might raise their game individually but as a team, with Moyes as a motivator/tactician, it won't be near enough. Agree on the lack of expectation/pressure point.

I don't think Guardiola lets his teams go into games too confident, at least I don't recall seeing them playing (Barcelona or Bayern) as if they expected to win, he gets his team to respect the opposition, then try and impose their style on the game, and it nearly always works.

I'm going with Bayern, 1-3, or 1-4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

It's unlikely United will get a result but 6-1 at home is a very good price in my opinion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Didn't happen against City or Pool, but yeah, sure it will happen tonight :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Trying to be positive, I thought Arsenal were a match with Bayern until the goalkeeper was sent off and the first leg fell apart on them, again they were a match in the second leg. The pressure seems off, if we can compose ourselves and maintain discipline we should be able to take something away from the game tonight.

Bayern are awesome but not indestructible. They may have won the Bundesliga in record time but look at how Shalke and Leverkusen were disposed of in the Round of 16. I just hope the team can walk off the pitch tonight without any regrets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Bayern to win 4-0 is 20/1, I'll be having some of that.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Looking at United's league record against the current top 6 makes pretty grim reading, only a single win, and 3 heavy defeats to Liverpool and City twice. It's very difficult to see Bayern not winning this very comfortably. Over the 2 legs I'd predict a 3+ winning margin at the very least.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can't help but suspect Utd will hold Bayern to a one goal advantage 1-2 type score, okay Utd will get mashed in the away leg but I don't see a massacre tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Football is very boring when it's predictable, so I'm hoping for a good game tonight and not the expected drubbing. Having seen United lose so much this season, I've gotten a lot of lols out of my system, so I wouldn't mind a decent spectacle.

Then again, if Bayern win 8-0, that'd probably be pretty to watch, in it's own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Yeah I have a sneaky little wager on 3 and 4 nil, but I think the safer and better bet is Bayern/Bayern HT/FT at just over Evs

They will surely come out firing and I would be surprised if United can keep the sheet clean until half time

Grayditch wrote: »
    Football is very boring when it's predictable, so I'm hoping for a good game tonight and not the expected drubbing. Having seen United lose so much this season, I've gotten a lot of lols out of my system, so I wouldn't mind a decent spectacle.

Then again, if Bayern win 8-0, that'd probably be pretty to watch, in it's own way.

Go sports!

VIVYtjy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

I'm not a hater/troll, i don't hate Man U, i support a Championship side. Now that that's out the way.

I honestly think that Bayern Munich will win this tie by 10+ goals, in fact i can't see United scoring a single goal, as good as Rooney can be.

Rio & Vidic were a formidable partnership, 2 years+ ago. The other defenders are very dodgy imo.

Muller, Schweinsteiger, Robben, Mandzukic, Kroos, Ribery... dear god, against the United defense.

They'll want to score as many away goals tonight as possible.

Anyway, that's my input, i think we all agree that United will get beaten over the 2 legs, i just think they'll get very heavily beaten.

United fans, please don't bring up 99 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Utd are not expected to win tonite which might help their cause. With Utd’s shaky defence its hard to see them containing the Germans. Should be an interesting game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

You should never bet with what you hope the result to be. It's 20/1 for a reason.

A lot of optimism for Utd today it seems. I have some money on them at 7/1 but they're now being back into 11/2 on exchanges. Very tempting to lay it off for a profit now. Can't understand the optimism all of a sudden.

s.welstead wrote: »
    You should never bet with what you hope the result to be. It's 20/1 for a reason.

A lot of optimism for Utd today it seems. I have some money on them at 7/1 but they're now being back into 11/2 on exchanges. Very tempting to lay it off for a profit now. Can't understand the optimism all of a sudden.

When you look at the recent 0-3, 0-3 results against City and Liverpool, and then deduce that Bayern are a step up in quality 20/1 looks very tempting

I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable laying that price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

As bad as those results were they didn't deserve to lose 3-0 to City. Arguably the better team in the first half. Ah look at me defending this feckin Utd team. Ok 4-0 is possible but I just don't think it will be.

Far too many fans are predicting a spanking but how often do they actually happen as predicted. Hammerings tend to come out of the blue and happen when teams continue to chase after going behind. Imo Moyes will have Utd start very high tempo and try score early with a view to sitting back and countering. If that collapses like City then they'll give up the ghost and sit back and contain. They'll try stay within touching distance for the away leg with the hope of an away goal.
    He'll do all that he can to avoid being hammered. Even if that means settling for a defeat early on.

• Advertisement

s.welstead wrote: »
    As bad as those results were they didn't deserve to lose 3-0 to City. Arguably the better team in the first half. Ah look at me defending this feckin Utd team. Ok 4-0 is possible but I just don't think it will be.

Far too many fans are predicting a spanking but how often do they actually happen as predicted. Hammerings tend to come out of the blue and happen when teams continue to chase after going behind. Imo Moyes will have Utd start very high tempo and try score early with a view to sitting back and countering. If that collapses like City then they'll give up the ghost and sit back and contain. They'll try stay within touching distance for the away leg with the hope of an away goal.
    He'll do all that he can to avoid being hammered. Even if that means settling for a defeat early on.

Pretty much every time they were predicted with the David Moyes experience this year. Regular as clockwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I'm really excited for tonight! Excited... But also scared, it could be an absolutely hammering for us this evening. It would be incredible to see us pull something off, we do have the quality in the team to do it, but only at our best, which we have seen rarely this season.

To be fair, if one thing has been going well for United over the last 8 months it is our CL form, anything could happen!

C'mon United!

Just so any of ye know lads, Coral are offering 3/1 for Bayern to win tonight for new online customers. Max bet is a tenner but it could be the easiest 30 euro you ever make.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

2-2 (Kagawa with all the goals. Kagawa also sent off for delivering Sweet Chin Music to Götze too.)

He'll probably be on the bench and United will lose by a couple of goals.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    2-2 (Kagawa with all the goals. Kagawa also sent off for delivering Sweet Chin Music to Götze too.)

He'll probably be on the bench and United will lose by a couple of goals.

Nailed on. Young, Welbeck, Valencia behind Rooney up front. If any are unfit expect Januzaj, Fellaini in AM or Cleverley out of position. Moyes doesn't trust Kagawa in big games because of the typically british position of "he doesn't get stuck in enough" and being afraid of flair players in big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭irishgoldberg

I had a feeling before both the Liverpool game and the city match that we would be ok and unfortunately iv that feeling again about tonight.

Hopefully 3rd time lucky and we can get at least the draw to keep the 2nd leg interesting..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's April Fool's Day, perfect time for Manc U to beat this Bayern Munich team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Seems as if this is where I should have posted my request!

Anyone know where one can watch tonights game free to air on the Internet.

On hotbird sat free to air: to night on Spanish La 1........Barcelona and Atletico

to morrow on German ZDF...........Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund.

Anyplace on the net where the United game is shown.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Xenophile wrote: »
    Seems as if this is where I should have posted my request!

Anyone know where one can watch tonights game free to air on the Internet.

On hotbird sat free to air: to night on Spanish La 1........Barcelona and Atletico

to morrow on German ZDF...........Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund.

Anyplace on the net where the United game is shown.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Funny that the few who say United could get a result, support other teams and probably haven't watched United much

Having painfully watched United all season Bayern would have to colossally fúck it up and choke for them not to win by at least 3

I think United will score though

• Advertisement
Advertisement