Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Bayern Munich UCL Q/F 1/4/'14 K/O 19.45

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Sorry right decision definite yellow didn't get the ball regardless of rooneys dive

He did get the ball. Pathetic dive from Rooney threw his hands in the air and rolled around trying to get the man sent off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

the_monkey wrote: »
    Barca have their name on the trophy anyway.

done deal.

Are you sure? they conceded an away goal tonight and have a tough return fixture next week. Maybe you're right, but it seems a bit premature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Was watching the other game, how did Valencia not get sent off that was a shocking challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Is that you, Rupert? Don't worry, we're not getting the channels out.

Name a few better or teams equal to Bayern in their league then smart ass :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Just watched Schweinsteiger's yellow again and don't understand how anyone with full vision could call that a dive by Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Eight Ball wrote: »
    He did get the ball. Pathetic dive from Rooney threw his hands in the air and rolled around trying to get the man sent off.

You're embarrassing yourself now in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Bayern didn't impress tonight. Very much tiki taka German style with not a lot of penetration. United could have possibly got more out of it only for their first half negativity. Kagawa changed that and they were good value in the second half I thought. Fair enough result in the end. Bayern looked a bit uninspired but credit to United who made it very difficult for them.

Would still see Bayern as favourites to go through obviously with the away goal but clearly far from a foregone conclusion.

Is Schweinsteiger out for the return leg now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

He didnt get the ball. Rooney made the most of it. Against spurs on Sunday Sturridge did the same thing but much worse. Was he a pathetic diver then? Or a pure legend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i though Man Utd played well tonight
    Welbeck,Carrick,Kagawa & the whole back 4 played well
    i thought Fellaini & Rooney were very poor
    Kagawa should have started as he always plays well against Bayern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I'm not saying all Liverpool fans, just the ones who are clearly posting in an ABU fashion.

Don't go applying logic to that situation. I tried recently and it didn't go well.

Glazers Out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Thought the sending off was a bit harsh considering some of the tackles made earlier
    It was a very good defensive performance by United. Bayerns end product wasnt that great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

You're embarrassing yourself now in fairness.

In fairness im not at all. Clean challange won the ball. Watch it without the red tinted specs on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057179776

The games over you can go back to your hole now....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Looper007 wrote: »

Dortmund without injuries are pretty good. Not sure if you remember, but they did decent in Europe last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

Was watching the other game, how did Valencia not get sent off that was a shocking challenge

Don't go there, as you will be called out as an ABU by Man u fans if you disagree here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Exactly what Lahm did for Valencias yellow.

So players soft?
    So players feigning injuries for bookings?
    So refs are crap?

Its not diving as such its ensuring the player gets booked, Valencia and Bastian both made tackles that another player made a meal out off. Doesnt really matter if you get the ball anymore....just dont slide i guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

haha vidic is some spoofer "liverpool was a different game, they let us have the ball and played on the counter attack" - take a look at the possession stats buddy - you were owned

anyway good effort by united, about time they put up a fight against a decent side, still will do very well to qualify

In fairness im not at all. Clean challange won the ball. Watch it without the red tinted specs on.

Did you see it in real time like? He clearly didn't get the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

United win 1-1..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

nullzero wrote: »
    Don't go applying logic to that situation. I tried recently and it didn't go well.

More posts about Liverpool fans than the match itself from yerself, I'd say.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Are they a diiferent shade of red to yours?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not sure how anyone could say he didn't get the ball. It's clear as day.

What's the alternative? That Rooney somehow blasted the ball away with a deft flick before the challenge came in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Rooney saw the tackle coming and toe poked the ball away to take the hit, unlike sturridge's a few weeks ago where there was zero contact. 1 is being cute, the other is just blatent cheating. If people can't see the difference they are either on the wind or just plain stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057179776

The games over you can go back to your hole now....

Bit uncalled for mate in fairness. Telling people to get out of threads.

I have red tinted specs on and I'm not sure it was cleanly won. Viewed on their own the first yellow was ok the second doesn't have to be yellow overall pretty harsh considering they were probably Schweinsteigers only two fouls of any note.

°°°°°

Grayditch wrote: »
    More posts about Liverpool fans than the match itself from yerself, I'd say.

It was for a while alright

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Are you sure? they conceded an away goal tonight and have a tough return fixture next week. Maybe you're right, but it seems a bit premature.

He says that every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

jamaamaj wrote: »
    Ref bottled it big time tonight.

Lets Valencia away on that horrific tackle who was already on a yellow.

Then Rooney Dives and he sends off Schweinsteginer.
    Lol :pac:
    Hope the poor guy is alright...

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

a Man Utd player with a clear dive?

this sounds like a job for Double Standards Man! and of course, his unfortunately named trusty sidekick Have Your-Cake-and-Eat-it-too Boy!

Abandon thread lads. They're on the prowl
    35qwb.gif

To the United super thread!

• Advertisement

Looper007 wrote: »

But that's not the point you made. Barca were untouchable in La Liga for a number of years, but the league was still tactically light years ahead of the Premier League. I don't believe it was a stronger league, but it was not a poor league. I would make the exact same point about the Bundesliga. The standard of football in England is dreadful at times.

Bit uncalled for mate in fairness. Telling people to get out of threads.

Theres one reason and one reason only that certain people are posting in this thread tonight same as every other United related thread lately.

baldbear wrote: »
    Rooney did what any intelligent player would do.He dragged his leg over Schweinsteiger. He was on a yellow so he should know better.

Ha! I wonder would you say that if Robben had done it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

Rooney definitely dived. That being said it was still a yellow. Schweini was stupid diving in and Rooney made sure there was contact as he was going down. It's good forward play. He's got that win at all costs mentality which perhaps a lot of this squad is lacking this year.

Valencia actually got a bit of the ball i think but hr should have had a second yellow at least. I really can't see how anyone can argue with that and say they're not being biassed. If you go in to a challenge with 2 feet off the ground you deserve to go imo. A yellow at least.

Also, I'm a Liverpool fan. I HATE United and so will always support whoever is playing you guys unless it's in our best interests for you to win. But I'm only obsessed with the 1 club...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Theres one reason and one reason only that certain people are posting in this thread tonight same as every other United match lately.

It's a quarter-final of the Champions League. Everyone watches these games and is entitled to an opinion on them. It's not meant to be a cheerleading exercise. ITV and Andy Townsend do that already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Credit where it's due, players - and by extension management - stood up to be counted tonight. The formation and setup worked to a large degree. Sat back and soaked up the pressure. Of course Bayern are always going to create chances but we've given ourselves an opportunity going into the second leg and that's what matters. They aren't completely infallible and but for lapse in concentration by Fellaini and IMO a poor decision to disallow Welbeck's goal, then we would be going into the second leg ahead. Regardless, great pride in that performance tonight.

Also, our fans were immense all throughout the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

Theres one reason and one reason only that certain people are posting in this thread tonight same as every other United match lately.

In fairness you have the the lads defending everything united do as well as the ABUs. It's a match thread, not a place of worship for United fans. A lot of the non-diehard MUFC fan opinions are being dismissed as trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Bayern nowhere near as good to watch last year, this bloody endless touch backwards and forwards football. Looks like Ill have to watch the German national team for the blitzkrieg on goal football I could get from bayern last year. What can you expect from a barcelona man though, endless passing, few opportunities converted!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Abandon thread lads. They're on the prowl

To the United super thread!
    Theres one reason and one reason only that certain people are posting in this thread tonight same as every other United related thread lately.

Post about the match, not who is posting.

• Advertisement

sh__93 wrote: »
    Rooney definitely dived. That being said it was still a yellow. Schweini was stupid diving in and Rooney made sure there was contact as he was going down. It's good forward play. He's got that win at all costs mentality which perhaps a lot of this squad is lacking this year.

Valencia actually got a bit of the ball i think but hr should have had a second yellow at least. I really can't see how anyone can argue with that and say they're not being biassed. If you go in to a challenge with 2 feet off the ground you deserve to go imo. A yellow at least.

Also, I'm a Liverpool fan. I HATE United and so will always support whoever is playing you guys unless it's in our best interests for you to win. But I'm only obsessed with the 1 club...

I believe you. That's the sad thing. You HATE a football club. I can't think of anything more ridiculous.

It's a quarter-final of the Champions League. Everyone watches these games and is entitled to an opinion on them.

Ha!! Ya thats whats going on :P Ah im not even arsed you know yourself what im saying its clearly obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Well that went pretty well. The ant-Moyes brigade currently scrabbling for reasons why their "We're going to get jockeyed 7-0" predictions didn't come to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

This. Guardiola teams are always set up very differently away from home in Europe.

Yup exactly. Watch Bayern switch on in the return leg. Pepe has only won once of twice out of many attempts at beating a English side at England. Barcelona as there prime 3 4 years ago drew with arsenal and in the next year lost to arsenal at the Emirates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Well that went pretty well. The ant-Moyes brigade currently scrabbling for reasons why their "We're going to get jockeyed 7-0" predictions didn't come to pass.
    what by employing the only tactic, you can employ in the situation? go out and play open expansive football against them in Munich, commit men forward, see what happens...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Fair play to United, great result for them tonight. Still in with a great chance in this tie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Congrats to #mufc with the draw against the European Champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what by employing the only tactic, you can employ in the situation? go out and play open expansive football against them in Munich, commit men forward, see what happens...

I'd say they'd lose, because that would be stupid.

Though Munich really are a much poorer team than they were 2 hours ago I guess so they might as well give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I know people are looking to Arsenal getting results in Munich as to why Manc U can get a result there, but the difference then on both occasions was that Munich had pretty much finished the tie in the first leg at the Emirates. I didn't feel Munich's attitude was right in both second legs.

This tie is still open and credit to Manc U for that. But I think Munich will be fully focused and up for this second leg. I'd expect him to win by a couple of goals at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Man Utd are more than capable of scoring over there...even more than 1. Bayern are clearly weak at set pieces and Moyes will be working on that. I think Bayern will have to score 3 over there to go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Crap first half, better 2nd half but overall not a great game.

Don't think Valencia should have walked but have seen them given. Enough officials around to make a decision and think overall the ref was good (missed the start of the game so I know there was a disallowed goal)

Schweinsteiger was stupid to throw himself in there and deserved a yellow for the challenge but that's what good midfielders do when there's a counter attack on, instinct I guess but in the 90th min of the first leg I think there's a case for letting Rooney get a pass away.

Vidic, what a headie! Rooney whipped in a few good balls tonight but that was spot on, exactly the area of the box you want your set pieces to land in. Vidic did immensely to get a good head on that after moving towards the ball and then stretch back behind him. Top finish.

Schweinsteiger's even better as a pure finish, perfect placement and good move. Didn't think Bayern were good enough in the final third up to that goal. Plenty of hints but not really testing de Gea. The move after with Robben playing Ribery in after a great diagonal run and the cut back across goal that Manzuckic missed was more like it and what I expected to see more of.

Fair result in the end, tie still alive for United, I think most fans would have taken a draw? Munich happy with their away goal and not losing, didn't play to their best but got a result. All comes down to now how much they'll miss Tiago, Bastian and Martinez in the 2nd leg.

Hopefully it's a better spectacle. Anything can happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement