Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Bayern Munich UCL Q/F 1/4/'14 K/O 19.45

1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what by employing the only tactic, you can employ in the situation? go out and play open expansive football against them in Munich, commit men forward, see what happens...
    Who mentioned anything about Utd being able to win the tie? I was responding to the plethora of posters who posted ****e like 'lol Bayern are gonna school us" "This will be a massacre" "Moyes could break the record for worst ever home European defeat" etc etc.

Negative nellies need to embrace the warm glow of hope and positivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Deserved result for ManU tonight, especially the second half they worked extremely hard.

But I can't help but feel that Bayern should have won this, it seems they have inherited Barcelona's style of trying to walk through an entire defense before trying to score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Pighead wrote: »
    Well that went pretty well. The ant-Moyes brigade currently scrabbling for reasons why their "We're going to get jockeyed 7-0" predictions didn't come to pass.

Would you be posting if that happened though? You're not forgetting United were dominated by Liverpool and City at home where it could have been a cricket score then coming up against the CL holders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

On the sending off, it's nearly always a yellow when a player is breaking fast like Rooney is. He did make the most of it but to be fair them tackles are yellow 9 times out of ten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

8-10 wrote: »
    Crap first half, better 2nd half but overall not a great game.

Don't think Valencia should have walked but have seen them given. Enough officials around to make a decision and think overall the ref was good (missed the start of the game so I know there was a disallowed goal)

Schweinsteiger was stupid to throw himself in there and deserved a yellow for the challenge but that's what good midfielders do when there's a counter attack on, instinct I guess but in the 90th min of the first leg I think there's a case for letting Rooney get a pass away.

Vidic, what a headie! Rooney whipped in a few good balls tonight but that was spot on, exactly the area of the box you want your set pieces to land in. Vidic did immensely to get a good head on that after moving towards the ball and then stretch back behind him. Top finish.

Schweinsteiger's even better as a pure finish, perfect placement and good move. Didn't think Bayern were good enough in the final third up to that goal. Plenty of hints but not really testing de Gea. The move after with Robben playing Ribery in after a great diagonal run and the cut back across goal that Manzuckic missed was more like it and what I expected to see more of.

Fair result in the end, tie still alive for United, I think most fans would have taken a draw? Munich happy with their away goal and not losing, didn't play to their best but got a result. All comes down to now how much they'll miss Tiago, Bastian and Martinez in the 2nd leg.

Hopefully it's a better spectacle. Anything can happen.

Pretty fair assessment couldn't sum it up better myself
    Of course I'd rather have us sewn this one up, but hey its CL quarter finals, can't really expect that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

monkey9 wrote: »
    I know people are looking to Arsenal getting results in Munich as to why Manc U can get a result there, but the difference then on both occasions was that Munich had pretty much finished the tie in the first leg at the Emirates. I didn't feel Munich's attitude was right in both second legs.

This tie is still open and credit to Manc U for that. But I think Munich will be fully focused and up for this second leg. I'd expect him to win by a couple of goals at least.

All good points but Manc U? Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i thought some of Utd's tactics in the 2nd half were strange
    Fellaini seemed to be playing AM & Kagawa CM at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

good work by Utd tonight, they made Bayern look very ordinary tonight...Bayern need to buy a proper striker imo

nuxxx wrote: »
    Would you be posting if that happened though? You're not forgetting United were dominated by Liverpool and City at home where it could have been a cricket score then coming up against the CL holders
    I've been posting for weeks about the ridiculous ott negativity of so called Utd fans, yourself included. Pretty sure you aren't in the middle of typing up a gushing Moyes praising post so not too sure where you are going with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Deserved result for ManU tonight, especially the second half they worked extremely hard.

But I can't help but feel that Bayern should have won this, it seems they have inherited Barcelona's style of trying to walk through an entire defense before trying to score.

Not quite as bad as Barca they still have more variety but United sat very very deep at fist making it really difficult. Then United opened up a bit and Bayern needed changes to adjust. They weren't really on tonight either unfortunately, bit uninspired I thought. Kroos was well below par, Mueller couldn't really trouble the defence, still unsure about this whole Lahm in midfield thing. Terrible defending for the corner, Vidic was completely on his own all the way, how stupid is that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

mada999 wrote: »
    good work by Utd tonight, they made Bayern look very ordinary tonight...Bayern need to buy a proper striker imo

There's one on the way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I was responding to the plethora of posters who posted ****e like 'lol Bayern are gonna school us" "This will be a massacre" "Moyes could break the record for worst ever home European defeat" etc etc.
    yeah, I was thinking of putting money on big aggregate win for Bayern, I knew they would own the ball and possession, but often German teams do this, but dont convert that many, hence I held off, but if they took one of their early chances, United have to push for an equaliser, they could have banged a few in. Will see what happens in Munich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

ThirdMan wrote: »
    I believe you. That's the sad thing. You HATE a football club. I can't think of anything more ridiculous.

Not sad at all. Hate is too strong a word though. I shouldnt have said that. I don't want United to do well but I certainly wouldn't want them to ho bust for example. Rivalry is one of the things that makes football so great. It's less fun without it.

And there's plenty of United fans who feel a similar way about Liverpool. Don't even bother saying there isn't. I think both clubs are incredibly similar so it's so annoying coming into a thread and there's always so much of people trying 1 up or put down the other set of fans. And so much generalisation as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Bayern Munich tonight became only the 4th team to earn a draw at Old Trafford this season, joining an illustrious group of clubs including Fulham and Southampton. Although in fairness Southampton created more chances..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

In all fairness UTD did a lot to make Bayern look average.

If they want to get into the semis they'll need to do the same in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Physically and emotionally drained after that. The first half was depressing but the second half much better. Bayern certainly the better team but by all accounts United had a goal wrongly disallowed (haven't seen it again). Can't fault the commitment tonight at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

mada999 wrote: »

Don't think Bayern looked ordinary, they were comfortably in control for large sections of the game. They looked like Spain look when they try to play like Barcelona, they were missing Messi.

Decent result for united though and one not many would have thought they were capable of. 2nd leg will be interesting but can't see them getting through, especially if Robben and Ribery turn up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Glad we didn't get hammered but having to go to Munich and get a goal is still a big ask and we cant just use the same tactics again barring an early goal. Dante back will improve their defensive solidarity a sight. Never know though i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

on the plus side for the ABU's and I dont support anyone, that joke has possibly bought himself another season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

Nice dive by rooney to get schweino sent off but since bayern have the likes of ribery and robben, it serves them right. Love to see united knock the diving cheaters out. Had the draw at 10/3 too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

Rezident wrote: »
    Nice dive by rooney to get schweino sent off but since bayern have the likes of ribery and robben, it serves them right. Love to see united knock the diving cheaters out. Had the draw at 10/3 too :)

2/10:rolleyes:

spiralism wrote: »
    Glad we didn't get hammered but having to go to Munich and get a goal is still a big ask and we cant just use the same tactics again barring an early goal. Dante back will improve their defensive solidarity a sight. Never know though i guess
    That's the spirit! You're most positive post in months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Nevermind. Can't be arsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

man u to take these 1 trick ponies next week. bring it on

I've been posting for weeks about the ridiculous ott negativity of so called Utd fans, yourself included. Pretty sure you aren't in the middle of typing up a gushing Moyes praising post so not too sure where you are going with this.

Why would I praise Moyes before tonight considering results? If you know something no1 else does feel free to enlighten me. Sorry for being negative after loosing to City and Liverpool 0-3 at home in recent weeks then coming up against the European champions. It's easy to post like you do now after a decent result, were you posting the same way after the City and Liverpool games?

• Advertisement

Why would I praise Moyes before tonight considering results? If you know some something no1 else does feel free to enlighten me. Sorry for being negative after loosing to City and Liverpool 0-3 at home in recent weeks then coming up against the European champions
    No apologies necessary. Just don't be giving out to poor old Pighead for being positive and not so much of a doom monger as the rest of you.

No apologies necessary. Just don't be giving out to poor old Pighead for being positive and not so much of a doom monger as the rest of you.

Easy way out of your mightier than thou stance. Don't hit your head on the way down

Easy way out of your mightier than thou stance. Don't hit your head on the way down
    On the way down from what? Generally it's a high horse people accuse people of being on. Are you accusing Pighead of being on a tree with loads of under hanging branches? You're way off the mark nuxx. No idea what you're angle is.

On the way down from what? Generally it's a high horse people accuse people of being on. Are you accusing Pighead of being on a tree with loads of under hanging branches? You're way off the mark nuxx. No idea what you're angle is.

Won't entertain your childishness. Good luck to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

nullzero wrote: »
    It was relevant in the first half. Bayern were the better sideband united couldn't hold onto possession at all

It was 0-0 and Bayern hadn't created a chance when he posted that. Like I've said previously, how were they teaching Man United a lesson in playing football when they couldn't create chances? Possession and number of passes mean nothing if you can't create the chances to go with it.

I'd argue that Bayern were the better side too. United were the side who looked more likely to score and Bayern were ****e after going behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Rezident wrote: »
    I heard Bayern wanted to swap Kroos for Young. Now I understand why.

Must have been a great night for the bookies judging by the pre match betting discussion in this thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Do people still think Fellaini is a good footballer.

Absolutely atrocious. Sarcastic cheering when he managed to make a clearance last night summed it all up. He is a disgrace.

Absolutely atrocious. Sarcastic cheering when he managed to make a clearance last night summed it all up. He is a disgrace.

He's not as bad as he is playing at the moment. He'll never be world class or anything like it but he can still come good.

He's not as bad as he is playing at the moment. He'll never be world class or anything like it but he can still come good.

No he wont. Any Evertonian who knows their salt will tell you the same.

Couldn't play him as a proper midfielder as he wasn't good enough so they by and large stuck him higher up the field and fired balls at his chest.

He's is nowhere near good enough to play for United. Not now, not ever. What made Carrick's performance all the more commendable was that he had to babysit for that *useless lump* too.

Yeah whatever...

Yeah whatever...

Good retort.

Don't worry about it. Just keep an eye on my posts. I'm rarely wrong. You might learn something about the sport.

Good retort.

Don't worry about it. Just keep an eye on .my posts. I'm rarely wrong. You might learn something about the sport.

You won't last long with your approach. I'd have replied properly if you didn't have to resort to the name calling stuff.

The arrogance now puts me off taking any notice of anything else you say.

You won't last long with your approach. I'd have replied properly if you didn't have to resort to the name calling stuff.

The arrogance now puts me off taking any notice of anything else you say.

Not arrogant, just better. :)

Re: Name calling. I hold my hands up. Didn't think dickhead was a term which wasn't allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Not arrogant, just better. :)

Re: Name calling. I hold my hands up. Didn't think dickhead was a term which wasn't allowed.

no, it's just arrogance

Your "critique" of Fellaini seems to be solely composed of calling him names and saying he was ****e.

He was poor last night, didn't seem to lack for effort but his touch and passing was all over the shop and he was surprisingly ineffective in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Is that what happened? heard the cheer but didnt think that sort of thing would happen. Thought it was a pressure relieving cheer

Poor form from the crowd if true?

no, it's just arrogance

Your "critique" of Fellaini seems to be solely composed of calling him names and saying he was ****e.

He was poor last night, didn't seem to lack for effort but his touch and passing was all over the shop and he was surprisingly ineffective in the air.

He has been since he's arrived. Out jumped last night by Alaba. He seems scared to contest.

Have taken to watching him off to ball to see is there anything, anything to suggest he might go on to resemble something of a footballer. He'll take to man marking a player, that player gets the ball and he'll be gone 15 yards before he realises.

He's an extremely unintelligent footballer as well. Carrick last night, especially early doors, guiding Buttner constantly. Pointing out positions, vocal assistance, keeping him in track. Fellaini was trundling about the place with no idea where he was going or why.

For the goal, he's watched Schweinsteiger run through. Just straight ahead of him. Not switched on at all.

His control is really poor.

The cherry on top was his 40 yard 'dash' knocking the ball further and further ahead of him before sliding it out of play for a throw. :o:D

Out of his depth and drowning quite fast. If Fletcher is fit and ready fro 90 minutes next week serious consideration has to be given to dropping him.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Is that what happened? heard the cheer but didnt think that sort of thing would happen. Thought it was a pressure relieving cheer

Poor form from the crowd if true?

Yes that's what it was.

Poor? Perhaps. It's not something that happens generally speaking. Understandable though. He made error after error after error. In such a tight and pressure filled game it was adding to it. People were getting irate, as they have been all year, and that was a bit of release.

He's probably a unique sort in that he is universally derided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Fellaini had never consistently played well for Everton as a CM
    he played all of last season as a second striker & done well with his physical presence.He was then put CM Vs Wigan in the cup & they lost 3-0
    if he was a player for Liverpool i would be embarrased to have him in midfield.He looks like he a circus act on the pitch too with his 40 yard run to the sideline last night

Advertisement