Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Bayern Munich UCL Q/F 1/4/'14 K/O 19.45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Xenophile wrote: »
    Seems as if this is where I should have posted my request!

Anyone know where one can watch tonights game free to air on the Internet.

On hotbird sat free to air: to night on Spanish La 1........Barcelona and Atletico

to morrow on German ZDF...........Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund.

Anyplace on the net where the United game is shown.

Download mediahint add-on for firefox/chrome then you can watch the ITV Player,I'm sure they will have it live online.
    You could go climbing & move your dish to Astra 2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

United 3-1 win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I'd like to see Utd win this one. Even though I'm a Liverpool fan, I hope Utd wont bow out by being humiliated. It could be a while before Utd are in the Champions League again and one last hurrah in front of the home fans would be a nice send off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

If United are going to have even the slightest of chances, Kagawa needs to play. Expect this from Moyes though:

Valencia-Carrick-Fellaini-Welbeck
    Giggs

Rooney

Fully expect United to be completely over run, have <35% possession, and more than likely lose 1-3/0-3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Ernest Oreo

I'd like to see Utd win this one. Even though I'm a Liverpool fan, I hope Utd wont bow out by being humiliated. It could be a while before Utd are in the Champions League again and one last hurrah in front of the home fans would be a nice send off.

i have no fear that they'll be back in the CL within 1 season provided they make changes at management / coach level
    the premiership is a poor league overall
    with a good appointment and some astute transfers united can become league contenders by christmas '14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

2/10

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

RasTa wrote: »
    2/10

great contribution as usual.

and I am still awaiting a response to the question I asked you yesterday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Be interesting to see United tactical approach in this. If they come out and attack Bayern they are leaving themselves vunerable to the counter attack which Munich are so good at. They might prefer to keep it tight and nick a goal from a set piece

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

zerks wrote: »
    Download media hint add-on for chrome

Thanks again, I signed up $3.95 for 30 days and can watch any of the two games on the "media hint" football channel.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Arsenal gave Bayern a decent game before the penalty decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Arsenal gave Bayern a decent game before the penalty decision

Arsenal are a damn sight better than we are though and i'd put Wenger just slightly ahead of moyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

spiralism wrote: »
    Arsenal are a damn sight better than we are though and i'd put Wenger just slightly ahead of moyes

I'd have the opposite. I don't think the two squads are that far apart, the gap is down to the managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I just have a feeling United are going to win tonight. Realistically you'd expect them to get well beaten but for some reason I think they are going to win it against the run of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,647 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Dont think this is going to be as bad for united as people think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

31e69788189fa34555976c34b1d55c62.png

Get your money on..

The optimism for United is just baffling. Even in the 3-0 win against Olympiakos they were pretty poor, especially at the back, Olympiakos just shat themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

United getting through this tie would actually benefit Liverpool, as it would improve the ranking of the division down the line, resulting in a better seeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

SantryRed wrote: »
    The optimism for United is just baffling. Even in the 3-0 win against Olympiakos they were pretty poor, especially at the back, Olympiakos just shat themselves.

It seems to be all coming from non United fans.
    It's not a nice position to find yourself in when you're dreading a game like this, hoping to keep the score down being the height of expectation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

It seems to be all coming from non United fans.
    It's not a nice position to find yourself in when you're dreading a game like this, hoping to keep the score down being the height of expectation.

There should be a huge level of expectation and excitement all day, looking forward to the match but it's all missing for me.

I really wish otherwise but I think Utd will be humiliated over the two legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Xenophile wrote: »
    Thanks again, I signed up $3.95 for 30 days and can watch any of the two games on the "media hint" football channel.

Huh? I'm pretty sure Mediahint is a free extension for Firefox and Chrome.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I really don't think Bayern will win by more than 2 tonight. If they go 2 up they'll keep the ball in midfield. Guardiola is relatively conservative when playing away in Europe.

Talk of 5-0 and the likes is pretty silly, they haven't scored more than 3 goals in any away European game this season, and they've played worse teams than Man United.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

If Bayern do go 0-2 or 0-3 up, they'll stop there. I don't see the annihilation...

I would though absolutely love Munich to go out to anyone, so hope remains. Only outfield player I'd be disappointed for is Muller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

ferdinand at the back and giggs in midfield, good possibility we get overrun and get a hiding.

Take a step back for a sec....

it really is jaw dropping the change in confidence towards Utd over the past twelve months.

this same Utd team had a very good bash at Real Madrid and only probably knocked out because of a really bad ref failed to progress to the SF.

12 months on and people are expecting, or hoping for anything but a hiding.

I don't think the most sceptical of those against Moyes appointment could have said it would be this bad.

how is he still in the job is beyond me, but again I ain't complaining.

• Advertisement

No Kagawa according to Matt Cooper.

Anyone take Rasta up on his bet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Giggs

Jesus fùcking Christ Fenton

Expect an early Bayern blitzkrieg, Pep will tell them to press that midfield like City did and I wouldn't be surprised of an early goal to them

I'd have put Kagawa in for Giggs because at least he can relieve pressure with his movement and passing, Giggs won't get time like he did against the Greek side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Man United - De Gea, Jones, Ferdinand, Vidic, Büttner, Valencia, Carrick, Fellaini, Giggs, Rooney, Welbeck.

Bayern - Neuer Rafinha Boateng Martinez Alaba Schweinsteiger Lahm Kroos Robben Muller Ribery

No Kagawa is crazy.

Moyes looks to be content to be on the back foot even before a ball is kicked.

No guts - No Glory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

If i were a united fan that team wouldnt fill me with any confidence, change my mind now after seeing that, 4-1 Munich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I really don't think Bayern will win by more than 2 tonight. If they go 2 up they'll keep the ball in midfield. Guardiola is relatively conservative when playing away in Europe.

Talk of 5-0 and the likes is pretty silly, they haven't scored more than 3 goals in any away European game this season, and they've played worse teams than Man United.

Silly? Have you watched a lot of Utd this season? We've been shambolic at the back and that's with our 1st choice left and right backs playing. We're a mess tactically, Bayern can and probably will do serious damage tonight without even hitting top gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Valencia and Giggs start.

lol.

Moyes has given in before it's even started.

Giggs will pass the ball forward though so that is a plus.

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Man United - De Gea, Jones, Ferdinand, Vidic, Büttner, Valencia, Carrick, Fellaini, Giggs, Rooney, Welbeck.

Bayern - Neuer Rafinha Boateng Martinez Alaba Schweinsteiger Lahm Kroos Robben Muller Ribery

Hope United have the lube ready.

Giggs v Munich is insane.

Moyes is gutless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

rarnes1 wrote: »
    No Kagawa according to Matt Cooper.

Anyone take Rasta up on his bet?

What was his offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I hope utd win this one. I have admired utd and their wonderful fans for years.

What was his offer?

Said he was taking bets on Kagawa not starting after the weekends game. Not sure what odds he was offering. I meant to ask but forgot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Completely attacking bench from United, only one defensive player in Fletcher.

Lindergaard Hernandez Nani Young Fletcher Januzaj Kagawa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

At OT and eh goes defensive??? Crazy decision and shows the ambition

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

My -2 bet looks safe, the 4-0 not so much unless Bayern take it easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Completely attacking bench from United, only one defensive player in Fletcher.

Lindergaard Hernandez Nani Young Fletcher Januzaj Kagawa.

No defenders available, Evra suspended, Smalling, Evans, Rafael injured.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Silly? Have you watched a lot of Utd this season? We've been shambolic at the back and that's with our 1st choice left and right backs playing. We're a mess tactically, Bayern can and probably will do serious damage tonight without even hitting top gear.

I have. Have you watched much Viktoria Plznen or CSKA Moscow this season? How come they didn't lose by 5 goals when they played Bayern at home? How often have you watched Guardiola's teams play away from home in Europe?

Results of that magnitude are rare in Europe, particularly between teams who make it to this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

#moyesout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I see who the ref is, Buttner bet looks right good now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Hope thats an April fools joke :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

weak link tonight will be rio. Can't see him standing up to Muller - he will rip him apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Raf32 wrote: »
    If i were a united fan that team wouldnt fill me with any confidence, change my mind now after seeing that, 4-1 Munich

It's the same before every big game, everybody's getting ahead of themselves and optimism's building, then bam, moyes picks a ****e negative 11 and that goes out the window.

No Kagawa to the surprise of absolutely nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Jones Rio Vidic Buttner
    Valencia Carrick Fellaini Giggs
    Rooney
    Welbeck

That is a laughable team for a CL quarter final against the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Shaking with anger that Kagawa isn't playing, minimum 2-0 Munich I feel after that team announcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Those teams show the task facing utd tonight the combined teams would be rooney in for muller and the other 10 bayern players. However Palace beat chelsea at the weekend and none of their players would get in the chelsea team so you never know.

Advertisement