Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Leinster Loop 2014 with Stephen Roche

• 29-03-2014 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭

Registration is now open for the Leinster Loop 2014 with cycling legend Stephen Roche on www.leinsterloop.com. Three great routes of 130, 90 & 50 km, will ride out on Sunday, 17 August 2014, while the 12 km family fun cycle will take place on Saturday evening. Come along to Ireland's premier charity cycle sportive, nominated as Cycling Ireland's best leisure event in 2012 & 2013, bring some friends and have the best day in the saddle this year, in beautiful South Kildare.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

BGT wrote: »
    Registration is now open for the Leinster Loop 2014 with cycling legend Stephen Roche on www.leinsterloop.com. Three great routes of 130, 90 & 50 km, will ride out on Sunday, 17 August 2014, while the 12 km family fun cycle will take place on Saturday evening. Come along to Ireland's premier charity cycle sportive, nominated as Cycling Ireland's best leisure event in 2012 & 2013, bring some friends and have the best day in the saddle this year, in beautiful South Kildare.

Looking forward to it, Is there a jersey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭BGT

Hi Kildarecommuter

Starting to look at what will be on offer with this year's event now, and of course jerseys will be high on the list. The jersey produced last year was very popular.

Already there has been a lot of interest, and guys coming from South Africa to do it have already signed up!

Just to update on the 2014 Leinster Loop. Registration can be done now through the www.leinsterloop.com website. The very special & (we think) cool jersey is in design as we speak, & we are lining up some fantastic prizes for on-line entries etc. The family fun 12 km cycle, with Stephen Roche & Kildare legend John Doyle taking part, will take place on the Saturday evening, as we are hopeful of increased numbers again this year. More info to follow soon. In the meantime we are asking you all to sign up & encourage a friend to do the same!

A large batch of previously unseen photos from last year's Leinster Loop are available to view and download on https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p7l7twii42yl3qt/AACWLD18PdoZQAViujjfJs7Qa?n=86831136 . Take a look, as you might spot yourself or a friend!

Just a reminder to register on www.leinsterloop.com, and bring a friend along to ride - the more the merrier! Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

A large batch of previously unseen photos from last year's Leinster Loop are available to view and download on https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p7l7twii42yl3qt/AACWLD18PdoZQAViujjfJs7Qa?n=86831136 . Take a look, as you might spot yourself or a friend!

Just a reminder to register on www.leinsterloop.com, and bring a friend along to ride - the more the merrier! Thanks.

BGT making a calendar for the next two months of events...
    Just for info does the admission price include the jersey or is the jersey extra?
    Does anyone have a Strava profile of the route for meters climbed etc...

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi Noble Nudge

Admission includes goodie bag, great food stop, hot food at finish, massage, showers, parking, and the chance to ride with Stephen Roche, but jersey will need to be purchased separately.

Routes on website (www.leinsterloop.com) done through "map my ride" and this includes data on climbing, profiles etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

BGT making a calendar for the next two months of events...
    Just for info does the admission price include the jersey or is the jersey extra?
    Does anyone have a Strava profile of the route for meters climbed etc...

Thanks

Here you go

http://app.strava.com/activities/75614890

Bring your fast shoes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Hi Noble Nudge

Admission includes goodie bag, great food stop, hot food at finish, massage, showers, parking, and the chance to ride with Stephen Roche, but jersey will need to be purchased separately.

Routes on website (www.leinsterloop.com) done through "map my ride" and this includes data on climbing, profiles etc.

I cant see how to buy the jersey on the site....have you a link for that??
    i'm not on the FB...

Jersey still in design, will be available for sale next week. Top quality Spin 11 jersey all the way from Italy, we think & hope you will be impressed with the all new design & colour scheme! I will drop a note here when sale website goes live.

I cant see how to buy the jersey on the site....have you a link for that??
    i'm not on the FB...

Finally, the 2014 Leinster Loop jersey is now launched and can be purchased on the www.leinsterloop.com website. Top quality Spin 11 jersey, with full zip (concealed), 3 rear pockets and an all new design. Hope you like it, its available in L, XL, XXL and XXXL (race fit sizing). Very much a limited edition, if you want one, better get in fast!

Please note the jerseys will only be available for collection on the day of the Leinster Loop, 17th August.

• Advertisement

Some great news, a very special prize for some lucky rider who registers on-line on www.leinsterloop.com.

Stephen Roche's cycling holiday and training camp in lovely Mallorca is providing a very special prize of a week for two people. The prize includes hotel accommodation, bike hire (Vitus & Trek full carbon bikes!), breakfast and evening meals, and planned rides each day (with accompanying team leaders) - see http://www.stephenroche.com/ (some T&C's apply).

This brilliant prize draw is open only and exclusively to riders who register on-line. The draw will take place after the Leinster Loop on August 17th. Register now to make sure you're in with a chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Well I am all signed up to do this, my third year in a row. Aiming for the full 130 in < 4.5 hours.

Only downside is having to pay the extra 1.5 euro for booking online.

I presume it is only 30 euro even if I paid on the day.

Hi Bazermc, thanks for registering. Goodie bag and a chance to win a week for two in Stephen Roche' s holiday & cycling camp is only available to those who register on-line, so when you win the prize you'll be glad!

We are hoping to increase numbers again this year, so anything boardies can do to encourage club mates and friends to come along would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Bazermc, thanks for registering. Goodie bag and a chance to win a week for two in Stephen Roche' s holiday & cycling camp is only available to those who register on-line, so when you win the prize you'll be glad!

We are hoping to increase numbers again this year, so anything boardies can do to encourage club mates and friends to come along would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks BGT, fingers crossed I win something.

Question is the 130K route same as last year?

Hi Bazermc

If you're not in, you can't win. It's a seriously great prize, and there's some great climbing in Mallorca.

Route is the same as last year, so if the prevailing wind behaves your return from Tullow will be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

When does online registration close? Pay day's not till next week.....

Online registration closes at 12 noon on Saturday, 16th August.

Registration will be taken on the day too, but no goodie bag and no chance to win the great prize (see previous post).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Thinking of signing up to this but am about a month away from affording my new bike so would be doing it on my hybrid. Usually averaging about 22-25km/h which did me fine on the ROK but I'm wondering with this being set start time would I be a bit out of my depth?

If you're talking about 25km/h and doing the 130 km (and allowing for 20 mins foodstop) will get you back comfortably by 3.30 (start for 130 is 9.30 sharp), at that rate you won't be bringing up the rear. I'd say you'd be ok on that count. If it's the 90km you're thinking about, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

If you're talking about 25km/h and doing the 130 km (and allowing for 20 mins foodstop) will get you back comfortably by 3.30 (start for 130 is 9.30 sharp), at that rate you won't be bringing up the rear. I'd say you'd be ok on that count. If it's the 90km you're thinking about, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Yea its the 130 I have in mind alright. Cheers will give it a shot :)

• Advertisement

Dan, all care, no responsibility! Only joking, you will be well looked after and will enjoy the day. You know yourself, find a group on the road that suits your ability and the comraderie will bring you home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Yea its the 130 I have in mind alright. Cheers will give it a shot :)

This (Like every sportive really) always turns into a total hammerfest (just after Athy if memory serves me correctly) , but there will also be plenty doing it a a more sociable pace, so you'll be grand on your hybrid. The organisation is really good, good food stops etc. There are a few hills which start a little after Athy, so you'll need a few low gears for that, but nothing too fierce.

Koobcam wrote: »
    This (Like every sportive really) always turns into a total hammerfest (just after Athy if memory serves me correctly) , but there will also be plenty doing it a a more sociable pace, so you'll be grand on your hybrid. The organisation is really good, good food stops etc. There are a few hills which start a little after Athy, so you'll need a few low gears for that, but nothing too fierce.

The hill just before Castlecomer think its called Drumgoole - left turn off the N78 -was quite tough if memory serves me, or maybe it was just the shock of such flat course up to then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I hope to do this again after 2012. Did a good few sportives that year and rated this just about the best one. Sponsored by Cuisine de France, so expect a demi-baguette and a few petit pains in the goodie bag!:D

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I hope to do this again after 2012. Did a good few sportives that year and rated this just about the best one. Sponsored by Cuisine de France, so expect a demi-baguette and a few petit pains in the goodie bag!:D

I got a screw driver set in my goodie bag - very handy actually they have got great use

Velo

2012 - it's been too long! Don't tell me you've forgotten the delicious Cuisine de France choc muffins, and the blueberry ones too ;-))

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

What kind of pace would most people to this at? Is it very hilly, am interested in doing the 90k it will be my 2nd after the naas 110km.

Reckon I could back it?

Codrulz - if you are doing the 110 is Naas, the distance won't be an issue for you. 90km route is reasonably flat (except for climb up to Arles, about 5-6% gradient but super road surface) and a stinging but short climb between Tullow and Castledermot. The prevailing wind (if it behaves, to quote my old economics lecturer "ceterus paribus - all other things being equal") will be on your back from Tullow and in the right group you'll motor along and get a real buzz. Pace wil range from 25km/hour to 35km/h, but as I said in a previous post, you'll inevitably find the right group for you and enjoy it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I signed up for the 90k,mainly as im tight for time on the day and since i wont be with the fast guys and will be averaging 25-30kph i thought it best to stick to the 90k,looking forward to it.
    I hope to do the Tour of Kildare 110k this Sunday,again time permitting,weekends are hectic at my place.
    I cant commit 100% to it right now so im hoping i can sign up and pay on the morning of the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Be sure to quiz Stephen on his recent stupid thoughtless comments about doping in cycling if you have the "pleasure" of meeting him. Also, he hates it when jerseys are not fully zipped up.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Be sure to quiz Stephen on his recent stupid thoughtless comments about doping in cycling if you have the "pleasure" of meeting him. Also, he hates it when jerseys are not fully zipped up.

So you wont recommend a chat with Stephen about doping with cycling jersey fully unzipped!!!!!!!!!!!!

The all new Leinster Loop jersey is selling extremely well, and we are now SOLD OUT of the large sized ones. Note these are Italian designed, race fit jersey sizes so sizing of large is more like normal adult small t-shirt size. XL, XXL & XXXL jerseys still available, but these are a limited edition so get in while they're there. Purchased jerseys will be available for collection on Saturday evening/Sunday morning. They can be bought now on www.leinsterloop.com.

130 km route is the same as last year, so plenty of climbing and the mad descent into Old Leighlin (new surface on it this year!).

Plans are going very well, online registrations are well up on last year and weather forecast is very promising.

Obviously we are encouraging as many riders to come along as possible, and to register online in advance, as it is a massive help with logistics, planning etc. You can register online until 12 noon on Saturday on www.leinsterloop.com.

However, we will accept walk-in registrations too, and will weclome these on Saturday from 5 to 7pm, and from 8am on Sunday morning. Hope all the boardies will be coming along, previous posts on this thread will attest to the quality of the event and all funds raised are for our two charities.

3 more sleeps to go

Looking forward to it ,i missed the last 2 sportives i had planned with 2 broken ribs, was afraid to chance it in damp surfaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Nice weather forecast for Sunday :) *hope I havent put the hex on it now*

Briando

You know yourself, all we can do is work on the things we can control, the weather not being one. That said it is looking good, and the tail wind from Tullow is on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

I have entered the90k but other plans have been made.

raging is not the word. Can someone else use my ticket?

Well we're into the final straight, plans are going extremely well. Our team of your bag packers have been busy last night packing the goodie bags (we think you will be impressed). Hope to see plenty of Boards jerseys tonight (for the family cycle at 5.30 pm) and tomorrow Sunday for the 130km (9.30 am), 90km (10.00 am) and 50km (11.30 am).

Nominated best leisure by Cycling Ireland in 2012 and 2013, entirely charitable, great foodstop, hot showers, massage, & hot food (not I resisted the temptation to use the hot word for the massage). Registrations are going incredibly well, so the buzz will be huge. Hope you can all make it down, and please spread the word.

On-line registration will close at noon today, but we will be accepting walk-in registrations from 5pm to 7pm tonight and from 8am on Sunday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭3102derek

Already registered online. Can I sign on and collect the goodie bag this evening. Saves hassle in the morning.

• Advertisement

3102derek wrote: »
    Already registered online. Can I sign on and collect the goodie bag this evening. Saves hassle in the morning.

Yes i believe so, thats my plan too.

Yes, riders who have registered online can sign on, get goodie bags, ID numeber etc this evening from 5 pm to 7 pm, and again tomorrow morning from 8am. Getting it tonight is a great idea, as it makes your set up in the momnring much easier.

Just to remind those who have not registered online, walk in registrations will be taken this evening (5 to 7) and again tomorrow mornning from 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Do you need any receipt to pick up the jersey just have my paypal receipt?

Hi Stevie

Paypal receipt is fine, the ladies dealing with jersey sales have a full list of jersey purchasers in any case.

BGT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Bumped into Stephen Roche today in Enniskerry warming up for tomorrow's spin. He stopped to chat with a bunch of us Orwellians.

Best of luck with the event!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Pretty serious interview on newstalk just finished now. I'm sure it's available on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EAD

Suggestion: please consider smaller jersey sizes. As a Small lady (Italian fit) I have yet to get a sportive jersey to fit. There are plenty of people my size and smaller riding these events and we are never catered for (nevermind the loss of profit to organiser due to lower sales.) I can understand the fear of being left with stock but between children, women and smaller men I am convinced S and M would sell, possibly even XS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Read this thread at 11.45 this morning.

Now find myself examining the contents of a cuisine de France goodie bag. :/

Hope I'm able for the 90.

The number sticker goes on the right hand side of my helmet? Correct?

Read this thread at 11.45 this morning.

Now find myself examining the contents of a cuisine de France goodie bag. :/

Hope I'm able for the 90.

The number sticker goes on the right hand side of my helmet? Correct?

Correct!

I popped over to get my goody bag and met the man himself Mr Roche,gave everybody plenty of time to chat, came across as a top guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Lambretta

Well done to everyone today, what a brilliant Sportive
    and for a great cause too - the National Breast cancer research institute - the volunteers were superb as was Stephen Roche in giving up their/his time in such generous fashion. A great sporting and charitable event in the Irish calendar

• Advertisement
Advertisement