Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What make is this piano?

Options
  • 29-03-2014 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi maybe someone here could help me, I'm trading to figure out what brand/make a piano is.

It has the word Andrae on a plaque on the lid but from googling I don't think that's a brand?

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Upright piano? Open the top lid if it's on a hinge - make & model number usually inside there somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lady Jay

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is an upright. I have opened the the top lid and there are no markings inside only a 5 digit serial number stamped on the side panel.

I think I've attached a picture of the only markings I can see anywhere on it!

Hmm, can you take off the front panel under the keyboard? Sometimes there's stamps under there...

Ah good idea, must check if that's removable. I did think I was terribly clever removing the panel above the keyboard! I will check tomorrow and report back.

As you can tell I know nothing at all about pianos!

Well I googled the motto on the emblem: dem Verdienste seine Krone which seems to be a german proverb about giving the devil his due/ giving honour where it's due etc. Doesn't help much but I found it interesting :D A french forum seems to have someone with the same piano but it's down for maintenance right now so that also doesn't help much :pac:

• Advertisement

Thanks for taking the trouble to look, oh that's interesting must look into it, the other medal which isn't too clear in the photo says Berlin 1879. I was just googling the name andrae which was getting me nowhere.

This piano is turning out to be a tricky little bugger to pin down ;)

Lady Jay wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the trouble to look, oh that's interesting must look into it, the other medal which isn't too clear in the photo says Berlin 1879. I was just googling the name andrae which was getting me nowhere.

This piano is turning out to be a tricky little bugger to pin down ;)

That's actually very helpful - I'd guess an independent piano maker based on that info. I'll look into it for ya in the morning :)

Do you have that serial number?

Advertisement