Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanic for engine revision.

Options
  • 29-03-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all,

I got a real big problem.. My timing belt broke while I was driving...
    Took it to Confey Tire station and they told me its about 1000 euro to fix it.
    Its a Stilo from 2002 1.2l so were not sure if its even worth it.

What I want to know is if 1000 euro is a good price, or if anyone knows anybody who does it for less?

We have a possibility to buy another stilo for 500 euro and pull over the engine, What we dont know is how much it will cost to get the engine over. So if anyone has some advice on that would be great!

We got a pre NCT check with 400 euro worth of work done less then 3 weeks ago.. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Better off posting this in the motors forum and I wouldn't be so quick to go to a tyre fitter with engine problems. They aren't mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A Fiat FIRE 1.2 is a non interference engine, meaning that unlike most engines the pistons do not hit the valves if the belt breaks - the timing belt breaking has close to feck all impact on the engine. 500 quid is hideous to fix it let alone 1000. ANY reputable independent should be able to replace the belt and re-do the timing - as that is all that is needed. Someone with zero knowledge of Fiat engines will quote you as if its an interference engine, hence the 1000 quid bollox.

The car is not worth 1500 regardless. The Stilo was a very unreliable car when launched, it had major rework later on resulting in it being re-tested as a new car and getting a higher NCAP score despite the body never changing. As a result, pre-05 models are practically worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭2011abc

I think only the 8Valve 1.2 is 'safe' to break timing belt in .Stilo is 16 valve ?Anyway I think you need a new car .Sell the other for scrap (worth a small sum under 200?).
    Even your savings in tax and fuel would go a long way towards a brand new city car .Youd be even better off if you picked up something like a 1999 Micra ,2002 Yaris , 2005 Panda , 2006 Yaris etc (in increasing order of cost )For all people rubbish new cars financially if youre keeping it 4 or 5 years minimum they can be worth the hassle free motoring .

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-panda-2006-1-3-diesel-for-sale/6666016

The above car is what Id be looking at if I were you.Absolutely super fuel economy .You wont have much change from 1000 no matter what you do with that Stilo -You MIGHT manage to get away with closer to 500 net if you resell the second Stilo etc but it will be a pain to organise ....It would be a waste of money to spend that much on it .

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jessica86

guil wrote: »
    Better off posting this in the motors forum and I wouldn't be so quick to go to a tyre fitter with engine problems. They aren't mechanics.

I know, but I didn't really have much of a choice, when I stood on the highway panicking they were the only ones I could think off, so Axa brought it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jessica86

MYOB wrote: »
    A Fiat FIRE 1.2 is a non interference engine, meaning that unlike most engines the pistons do not hit the valves if the belt breaks - the timing belt breaking has close to feck all impact on the engine. 500 quid is hideous to fix it let alone 1000. ANY reputable independent should be able to replace the belt and re-do the timing - as that is all that is needed. Someone with zero knowledge of Fiat engines will quote you as if its an interference engine, hence the 1000 quid bollox.

The car is not worth 1500 regardless. The Stilo was a very unreliable car when launched, it had major rework later on resulting in it being re-tested as a new car and getting a higher NCAP score despite the body never changing. As a result, pre-05 models are practically worthless.

Fiat Fire is not the same as a Fiat Stilo is it? I don;t know for sure..
    I am trying to look up if the fiat Stilo 1.2 from 2002 has a non interference engine or not.. very conflicting messages i can find :s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

FIRE is the engine type. 2011abc may be right about the 16v actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Jessica86 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I got a real big problem.. My timing belt broke while I was driving...
    Took it to Confey Tire station and they told me its about 1000 euro to fix it.
    Its a Stilo from 2002 1.2l so were not sure if its even worth it.

What I want to know is if 1000 euro is a good price, or if anyone knows anybody who does it for less?

We have a possibility to buy another stilo for 500 euro and pull over the engine, What we dont know is how much it will cost to get the engine over. So if anyone has some advice on that would be great!

We got a pre NCT check with 400 euro worth of work done less then 3 weeks ago.. :(

I wouldn't be spending €1000 on it. Cheaper option is to get a replacement engine. Who normally works on your car. Would you not ask them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

To be honest they know their stuff at Confey Tyres and certainly do fairly big mechanical work (once quoted me on fitting a gearbox) as well as selling cars .Ask them for their opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

You could also drop by Mutt's Nutts in Mill Lane and ask for opinion.

They are more focused on motorcycle but do also a fair bit of cars.
    I used them for both and had never a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

anyone on this thread a qualified mechanic:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement