Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Ole Gunnar a sacking waiting to happen?

• 30-03-2014 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭

Am a Man Utd fan and for his countless important goals for the club the baby faced assassin will always be a legend but he hasn't really improved Cardiff at all since he took over....
    Brutal defending from them again today and poor defending from WBA greatly helped 2 of Cardiffs 3 goals.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Am a Man Utd fan and for his countless important goals for the club the baby faced assassin will always be a legend but he hasn't really improved Cardiff at all since he took over....
    Brutal defending from them again today and poor defending from WBA greatly helped 2 of Cardiffs 3 goals.

You should know by now that you have to give a manager time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I think so. Owner's a clueless hothead. Perhaps Ole should have waited for a more stable position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I think so. Owner's a clueless hothead. Perhaps Ole should have waited for a more stable position.

That is reserved for van Nistelrooy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Ridiculous appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

To paraphrase the man himself, I couldn't care less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

They'd be in a better position if they'd stuck with Malkey IMO, Tan is a clown and will ruin Cardiff(if his not already ruined the club)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

mosstin wrote: »
    To paraphrase the man himself, I couldn't care less.
    That's not paraphrasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Oddly as a Liverpool fan, I used to always think he was a classy enough fella.

But his short managerial career in the PL has made me think the opposite. Not the most charismatic man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I hope people don't still think that taking the Cardiff job was 'risk free', that because the owner is Tan and his crazy antics that him being sacked wouldn't mean anything. Solksjaer has looked out of his depth for now in the PL, tactically he's played some bizarre set ups and pretty much none have worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Feels like he's been in the job about 5 minutes , I wouldn't go writing his obituary just yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

djPSB wrote: »
    Oddly as a Liverpool fan

C'mon now you can't say that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Am a Man Utd fan

I don't believe you.

:pac:

As a Liverpool fan, I've always quite liked Solskjaer, seemed like a nice guy but taking the Cardiff job and his comments last week (even if somewhat understandable in that moment) have made me think twice.

The manner of today's result may buy him some time. It's unlikely any potential candidate would be able to keep Cardiff up imo so probably isn't worth a sacking. Should have stuck with Mackay as mentioned but better off keeping Solskjaer at this stage and hoping he can pull something out of the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

As a fan of the lols, LOL at some of the Liverpool fans in here. Really.

Not a great start for Ole, 8 points from 13 games, but he's played, City, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton and United in those 13 games so it's still too early to judge I think.

It's experience for him at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ole is overrated imo but Vincent tan is the problem. He had a perfectly decent manager in makay who the players and fans liked who he decided to start a war with to show who is boss.
    They are banker to go down now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

One more loss and he's gone in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Who overrates him is what I'd like to know, from what I've seen people realise he's not premier league level yet and this is just experience with no real pressure to worry about because of Tan

Mackay had 10 more points but played 7 more games than Ole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

As a Shelbourne fan, I think that while he hasn't set the world on fire yet and they'll probably go down, he still had a CV worthy of the job. He created a history of winning with a team who did not have a history of winning. In theory a better appointment than someone who has been there before and failed like most other candidate would have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

djPSB wrote: »
    Oddly as a Liverpool fan, I used to always think he was a classy enough fella.

But his short managerial career in the PL has made me think the opposite. Not the most charismatic man.

I don't understand this. Does not being charismatic automatically rule him out of being "classy"? Or is it more to do with the fact he couldn't give a toss about your favoured teams title chance?

What has he done since taking the Cardiff job to make him go from classy to not classy in your eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

As a Newcastle fan I hate Solskjaer and hope he gets sacked, and its his fault he's doing badly not Vincent Tan's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

As an occasional watcher of finn harps, I feel shatter's position as minister for justice is untenable.

On a footballing note, i can see solskjaer sticking with them thru next yr in the championship. Tan is a nutcase, but if they keep some level of normality and a core group of players they would be favourites to come straight back up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Who overrates him is what I'd like to know, from what I've seen people realise he's not premier league level yet and this is just experience with no real pressure to worry about because of Tan

Mackay had 10 more points but played 7 more games than Ole

Mackay was doing fine until the boardroom rumblings, then the results on the pitch took a nose dive,Im not saying he would have kept them up but they would have had a better chance under him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cardiff need to go down before they can stay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

The job was a poisoned chalice for anyone who took it. Looks like they'll go down and if they do then I doubt Ole will still be there next year. Tan seems to be a bit of a nutcase.

KH25 wrote: »
    The job was a poisoned chalice for anyone who took it. Looks like they'll go down and if they do then I doubt Ole will still be there next year. Tan seems to be a bit of a nutcase.

I dunno about that. Their squad isn't that bad. Solskjaers mistake IMO was rushing into signing the Norweigans in January. He needed to sign a bit of proven quality at this level to get the team past the line, after which he could have started to put more of his own slant on the team with a pre-season to bed it all in.

When you take risks, there is always the chance that they will fail. The bigger the risk, the bigger the chance.

CSF wrote: »
    I dunno about that. Their squad isn't that bad. Solskjaers mistake IMO was rushing into signing the Norweigans in January. He needed to sign a bit of proven quality at this level to get the team past the line, after which he could have started to put more of his own slant on the team with a pre-season to bed it all in.

When you take risks, there is always the chance that they will fail. The bigger the risk, the bigger the chance.

Not saying anything against the squad at all. They have some good solid players. I just think that the situation with Tan makes the job more difficult. I can't see him giving a manager time to bed in and stamp his authority on the team. I think McKay should have been kept and supported until at least the end of this season.

Not saying anything against the squad at all. They have some good solid players. I just think that the situation with Tan makes the job more difficult. I can't see him giving a manager time to bed in and stamp his authority on the team. I think McKay should have been kept and supported until at least the end of this season.
    I really don't see how Tan has negatively affected Solskjaer's work at all, although I am open to correction on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I don't believe you.

:pac:

As a Liverpool fan, I've always quite liked Solskjaer, seemed like a nice guy but taking the Cardiff job and his comments last week (even if somewhat understandable in that moment) have made me think twice.

The manner of today's result may buy him some time. It's unlikely any potential candidate would be able to keep Cardiff up imo so probably isn't worth a sacking. Should have stuck with Mackay as mentioned but better off keeping Solskjaer at this stage and hoping he can pull something out of the bag.

But but he's a nice guuuy

I really don't see how Tan has negatively affected Solskjaer's work at all, although I am open to correction on that one.

Im not saying he has. Ole's results haven't been good and thats down to him. I just can't see Tan having very much patience with anyone who takes the job. That's not a great situation to walk into especially when you're being asked to rescue a team from relegation.

Im not saying he has. Ole's results haven't been good and thats down to him. I just can't see Tan having very much patience with anyone who takes the job. That's not a great situation to walk into especially when you're being asked to rescue a team from relegation.

I think it's common place though, that where a club has sacked their manager midseason out of fear of relegation, that the incoming manager bears the weight of expectation to stay up with drastic consequences.

I don't think that's a Cardiff thing or a Tan thing. I expect Magath, Mel and possibly even Poyet are under this very same pressure.

• Advertisement

I think it's common place though, that where a club has sacked their manager midseason out of fear of relegation, that the incoming manager bears the weight of expectation to stay up with drastic consequences.

I don't think that's a Cardiff thing or a Tan thing. I expect Magath, Mel and possibly even Poyet are under this very same pressure.

You're probably right there yeah. There's just something about Tan that I don't quite like so I guess thats affected my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

He is another AVB.

ebbsy wrote: »
    He is another AVB.

Yeah, ****in foreigners.

Looks out of his depth tbh and looks like he'll take Cardiff down. He hasn't pushed them on since he arrived and they might even be picking up less ppg under him?

He is another AVB.

:confused:

Don't see how you can make this comparison tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He is another AVB.

AVB has won a European trophy; a far tougher league; and actually has a passable win rate in the Premiership. Ole will dream of doing such things in his career, he's nothing and wouldn't be worth a second thought were it not for his playing career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    AVB has won a European trophy; a far tougher league; and actually has a passable win rate in the Premiership. Ole will dream of doing such things in his career, he's nothing and wouldn't be worth a second thought were it not for his playing career.

True that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement