Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

OldRio wrote: »
    It seems someone likes it.

Not Mark Kermode, anyhow (warning, review contains audio clip from the movie which is pathetically unfunny).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Not Mark Kermode, anyhow (warning, review contains audio clip from the movie which is pathetically unfunny).

£4.3 million on one side. Crushing review by Kermode on the other.

Life must be so difficult for O'Carroll.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I saw Glenda Gilson mentioning it in the same league as The Snapper :eek:

The Snapper has aged really badly so she is probably right that both films are shyte.

OldRio wrote: »
    Life must be so difficult for O'Carroll.;)

Good luck to him, he seems like a good guy, and I'm pleased that Mrs. Brown is such a success for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I think the people crying out "begrudgery!!!!" need to realize that there's a difference between hating a film and hating the people who've made it. I have no issue Brendan O'Carroll being successful and beloved by audiences but it doesn't mean that I or anyone else can't legitimately dislike the film/show. It's very frustrating to me how people are put into boxes for their opinions and that goes towards both those who love and hate this franchise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

e_e wrote: »
    I think the people crying out "begrudgery!!!!" need to realize that there's a difference between hating a film and hating the people who've made it. I have no issue Brendan O'Carroll being successful and beloved by audiences but it doesn't mean that I or anyone else can't legitimately dislike the film/show. It's very frustrating to me how people are put into boxes for their opinions and that goes towards both those who love and hate this franchise.

There've been similarly awful films that haven't drawn the amount of hatred this film has. I've not "cried begrudgery" but over 95% of the posts here are people saying that it's not their cup of tea or worse. I tend to completely ignore threads about films I've no intention whatsoever of seeing.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

What are some of those "similarly awful" movies? I doubt they were as insanely over-marketed as this one too. You tend to even feel stronger in your dislike for something when it's all over the radio, tv, cinema, internet and plastered on public places.

I say this as somebody who is so far indifferent to the Mrs Brown thing too, but I've had similar experience of strongly disliking a movie/show and then having to put up with it repeatedly. Let them dislike it all they want, it's not gonna invalidate your like of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

e_e wrote: »
    What are some of those "similarly awful" movies? I doubt they were as insanely over-marketed as this one too. You tend to even feel stronger in your dislike for something when it's all over the radio, tv, cinema, internet and plastered on public places.

I say this as somebody who is so far indifferent to the Mrs Brown thing too, but I've had similar experience of strongly disliking a movie/show and then having to put up with it repeatedly. Let them dislike it all they want, it's not gonna invalidate your like of it.

I tend completely ignore and forget about them. The Keith Lemon film springs to mind.

I take your point regarding the marketing. I think I saw a couple of ads on buses and the TV for Keith Lemon and that was more or less it. I don't watch TV anymore as the current house doesn't have one and the local buses don't have a huge amount of ads, or maybe it's been pushed a lot more in Ireland.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Ah yeah that seemed to be a special kind of awful though. Even Kermode made a point of saying that Mrs Brown was superior. ;)

To be honest, I find this show perfectly okay for ridicule. It reminds of the spoofed comedy "When the Whistle Blows" in Extras. Replace any criticism for that fake comedy for Mrs Brown's Boys and you wouldn't notice the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I just find it depressing that those 800,000 viewers also have the right to vote.

sabat wrote: »
    I just find it depressing that those 800,000 viewers also have the right to vote.

Ah in fairness comedy, like most things, is utterly subjective. I can appreciate what a good film is, but I also enjoy watching Con Air. It doesn't make them bad people for liking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The Snapper has aged really badly so she is probably right that both films are shyte.

I saw it not too long ago and it still was excellent. Gilson should stick to acting surprised in front of cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i love listening to mark but the guy seriously has a problem with pure entertainment.

theres not a single film i liked in the last decade that he found tolerable.

personally i feel sorry for the guy. been a double whammy for him . mrs browns boys last week is like a dry run for this week....

....the new transformers film.

:D

He liked "Pacific Rim", while admitting it was a big dumb popcorn movie.

i love listening to mark but the guy seriously has a problem with pure entertainment.
    This is just not true at all.

Hell 2 of his top 3 films of 2010 were huge blockbusters.

name one that not a del torro film.

and by the way i didnt say blockbuster, i said "entertainment".

name one that not a del torro film.

Films that were designed to pull in and entertain a large audience yes.

What's your definition of entertainment? I can't help but think your argument is flawed when you put MBB up as the standard. ;)

Ah, so a movie about giant robots fighting alien dinosaurs is too snooty and highbrow to be "entertainment"?

I kinda hate the word "entertainment" in regards to movies because all it really means is "This distracted my attention for the runtime". It's not really a great thing in itself, it just means bells and whistles with no imagination or passion behind it to me. It makes me think of something bland and calculated like X Factor instead of a film being genuinely thrilling, scary, engaging or funny like some of the best movies out there.

• Advertisement

Ah, so a movie about giant robots fighting alien dinosaurs is too snooty and highbrow to be "entertainment"?

ask kermode.

he bearly liked it. and thought it sucked when it got to that part.

Kermode thinks Toy Story is the best film trilogy ever made!

Fine, he doesn't like the movies you like. He doesn't like all the movies I like, either.

But he certainly isn't down on "entertainment".

and toy story is common fare ?

you dont seem to be getting what im saying. im not saying he's against blockbusters or sucessful fiilms , im saying he's got no notion of what general entertainment is .

he simply doesnt get why someone would like something like the OP. Mrs Browns boys. and thats cause its pure old fashioned comedic entertainment.

itll be the same this week with transformers. i hate what bays did to that franchise but its undeniably visually entertaining. thats what the audience is going for, and thats the stuff kermode goes asleep at.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You know why critics have high standards? Because they have to watch everything - from the small arthouse releases to the major blockbusters. So they're in a good position to be able to call out the dreck and separate what they feel is the good stuff, and frankly it's important they're there to try and flag the best and criticise the worst. Obviously it's all subjective from viewer to viewer and critic to critic, making the whole argument a bit redundant: Kermode's tastes are different to all of ours. But if you're hopping between screenings of Spring in a Small Town or The Golden Dream and Mrs Brown's Boys over the course of a week, naturally you're going to notice a pretty different level of quality there and respond accordingly.

And just to clarify - difficult, challenging, deathly serious films are 'entertaining', just in a different way. I often feel watching some brainless genre nonsense has been a complete waste of my time since I got nothing but a few empty thrills from it, whereas I could spend long hours watching a very slow and sombre film and come out feeling refreshed and engaged in a far more satisfying way. And it can be the total opposite too, depending on the quality of the film in question.

Finally, Kermode is the wrong person to be picking on - of all the major and respected critics out there, he has something very close to a populist perspective, and won't dismiss blockbusters or genre fare out of hand. I'd call him a 'glass half full' sort of critic. If he gets annoyed or bothered or otherwise animated by a film every so often, that comes out of his clear passion for all things film. For every film he rips apart, there's another that he celebrates with a childlike enthusiasm.

but its undeniably visually entertaining.
    I'd say that's at best very deniable, unless your definition of visually entertaining is "headache-inducing and incomprehensible cluster****."

The problem with you constituting (very apt username in that case) what is and isn't entertaining is that it's all relative and subjective. Some people find great cinematography, themes, story and performances more entertaining than the very broad humor of MBB. Even speaking personally what is often put under the umbrella of "entertainment" is just the opposite for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'd say that says more about your taste in films that any problems on Mark Kermode's part to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sandyred7

Brendan o' Carroll is a genius. He makes a lot of people laugh their pants off while he is laughing all the way to the bank. Tell me, what is wrong with that? Fair play to him I say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Sandyred7 wrote: »
    Brendan o' Carroll is a genius. He makes a lot of people laugh their pants off while he is laughing all the way to the bank. Tell me, what is wrong with that? Fair play to him I say!
    A lot, people who laugh at that tripe are very easily amused, I fear for their sanity :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Sam Kade wrote: »
    A lot, people who laugh at that tripe are very easily amused, I fear for their sanity :(
    I vote this post of the day :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Saw the movie today and I hated the whole experience.
    The audience were annoying. Guy beside me answered his phone. Couldn't believe it.

Then when Irma Bike came on to the screen, he looks and me and says "Thats your wan from fair city".

Wow.

The jumping from location to location during the chase scene really ruined it for me. In fact, that whole chase scene ruined the movie completely. One minute she's in North Dublin City, then in fooking Dundrum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

A sixty something year old man from Finglas in a granny dress falling over while using bad language frequently and recycling
    stolen gags. How is that making money?

Continuity errors are the least of the problems with this film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Omackeral wrote: »
    A sixty something year old man from Finglas in a granny dress falling over while using bad language frequently and recycling
    stolen gags. How is that making money?

Stolen gags and possibly stolen ideas and characters.

But who on earth would own up to being the real creator. Ugh. Like bragging about creating Zyklon B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Watched the show a few times and thought it was ok, not a big fan, I went in expecting dumb humour and that's exactly what I got. The audience were laughing at every dumb joke but there were some genuinely funny moments I laughed at. The film breaks the fourth wall numerous times and doesn't take itself serious in the slightest and you will have a laugh if you don't take it serious either. It made me laugh which is more than I can say for some sophisticated comedies.

edit: I did find it strange how they were in town one minute and then on a country lane the next a bit of a strange decision too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

If you want to see a brilliant movie about a man dressing up as an old woman just watch Mrs Doubtfire, a genuine classic.

• Advertisement

The jumping from location to location during the chase scene really ruined it for me.

Every movie ever made does this. It's just that this one uses locations you recognize, and so you can notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Stolen gags and possibly stolen ideas and characters.

But who on earth would own up to being the real creator. Ugh. Like bragging about creating Zyklon B.
    They hung mr. Zyklon!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Every movie ever made does this. It's just that this one uses locations you recognize, and so you can notice.

I realise that, and I'm sure people who aren't familiar with the locations won't notice a thing, but it bugged the hell out of me! Wonder why he didn't just use Jervis or Stephens Green?
    Also, Dublin City was dead. Pretty much no cars around O connell Street during that chase scene too. This also bugged me. There was nobody around, which, for me, was absurd as there's constantly traffic in the area.

I'm probably looking in to it too much, but I couldn't just sit back and enjoy it for what it was when there was things like this happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Sam Kade wrote: »

Andy-Millman_350_446695a.jpg

Was discussing this with a friend of a friend and when I criticized the film he kept saying that I was just a "begrudger". I've noticed that it seems to be the default defence of the film from those who like it and it simply doesn't wash. I had the misfortune of catching about 5 minutes of the show once and it was painful, it simply wasn't funny and felt like someone had seen an Old Mother Riley film and thought "fantastic, if I do that and swear alot it'll be comedy gold".

I'll be the first to admit that it's just not something that appeals to me but to tell me that my opinion is wrong and that I dislike the film because I'm jelous is just wrong. Any film or show that has to rely on outtakes and casual racist humour in this day and age is doing something wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

"There's a lot to be said for making people laugh. Did you know that that's all some people have? It isn't much, but it's better than nothing in this cockeyed caravan."

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Robert2012

Andy-Millman_350_446695a.jpg

"Are you havin' a laugh? "

Was discussing this with a friend of a friend and when I criticized the film he kept saying that I was just a "begrudger". I've noticed that it seems to be the default defence of the film from those who like it and it simply doesn't wash. I had the misfortune of catching about 5 minutes of the show once and it was painful, it simply wasn't funny and felt like someone had seen an Old Mother Riley film and thought "fantastic, if I do that and swear alot it'll be comedy gold".

I'll be the first to admit that it's just not something that appeals to me but to tell me that my opinion is wrong and that I dislike the film because I'm jelous is just wrong. Any film or show that has to rely on outtakes and casual racist humour in this day and age is doing something wrong.

I freely acknowledge that it's subpar. It makes me laugh on occasion so that's why I watch it. It's the same with US tat like The Big Bang Theory or HIMYM. I'm not sure why it's provoking such a strong reaction unless it's being marketed very heavily in Ireland. Having a pop at people who like it, implying they're mentally handicapped is just needlessly petty. It'll be out of cinemas in a few months, if even that and largely forgotten about this time next year. I don't think I'll be going to see it myself though. I've seen the trailer bomb a few times and being in a comedy that noone's laughing at sounds horrible.

thought ya might get a laugh out of this .

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni57433747/

i know she's getting on but you have to go out of your way to confuse her with brendan !

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Saw the movie today and I hated the whole experience.
    The audience were annoying. Guy beside me answered his phone. Couldn't believe it.

I remember reading a review of one of the Mrs Brown Boys stage shows once. The reviewer hated it but said he was one of the few people in the audience actually respecting the performers - most of the crowd were talking, walking around, generally acting like children at a puppet show. Hardly anyone was actually just watching the performance.

I freely acknowledge that it's subpar. It makes me laugh on occasion so that's why I watch it. It's the same with US tat like The Big Bang Theory or HIMYM. I'm not sure why it's provoking such a strong reaction unless it's being marketed very heavily in Ireland. Having a pop at people who like it, implying they're mentally handicapped is just needlessly petty. It'll be out of cinemas in a few months, if even that and largely forgotten about this time next year. I don't think I'll be going to see it myself though. I've seen the trailer bomb a few times and being in a comedy that noone's laughing at sounds horrible.

The reason the film has provoked a reaction with me is down to the fact that cinemas here have opted not to get in Cold in July ion favor of multiple screenings of Mrs. Brown's Boys. Having one film on multiple screens means that some possibly great cinema won't get screened and that's a shame. Thankfully one of the cinemas is getting in Cold in July this week but it's going to be on the smallest screen there becuase Transformers and MBB are playing on all the big ones.

I imagine that a lot of people feel similar and while your comparison to HIMYM and TBBT are apt considering that none of them are funny at least those shows don't need to resort to casual racism to generate a few laughs. I imagine that the people who love Mr.s Brown's Boys are the same ones who find Jim Davidson the epitome of comedy genius.

The reason the film has provoked a reaction with me is down to the fact that cinemas here have opted not to get in Cold in July ion favor of multiple screenings of Mrs. Brown's Boys. Having one film on multiple screens means that some possibly great cinema won't get screened and that's a shame. Thankfully one of the cinemas is getting in Cold in July this week but it's going to be on the smallest screen there becuase Transformers and MBB are playing on all the big ones.

I imagine that a lot of people feel similar and while your comparison to HIMYM and TBBT are apt considering that none of them are funny at least those shows don't need to resort to casual racism to generate a few laughs. I imagine that the people who love Mr.s Brown's Boys are the same ones who find Jim Davidson the epitome of comedy genius.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending decisions like letting it hog multiple screens or anything like that. I'm just saying that likening fans of it to the mentally handicapped is going a bit too far considering that comedy is subjective.

On a side note, I'd never heard of Cold in July. Looks like it could be great though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending decisions like letting it hog multiple screens or anything like that. I'm just saying that likening fans of it to the mentally handicapped is going a bit too far considering that comedy is subjective.

On a side note, I'd never heard of Cold in July. Looks like it could be great though.

I wasn't calling anyone who enjoys it anything, well apart from lacking in taste. A few people may use such horrible terms to describe fans but that hardly means that we can't criticise the show and film.

I wasn't calling anyone who enjoys it anything, well apart from lacking in taste. A few people may use such horrible terms to describe fans but that hardly means that we can't criticise the show and film.

I never said you did, but it's been said a few times on this thread. Of course the show and film are fair game for criticism. It'd be the same for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Robert2012

This

Very well articulated, and I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately we seem to be in a minority, with this opinion. Which is quite surprising, because for some reason or other, I have always thought that my "sense of humour" was the same as the "boardsies", in fact, thats one of the reasons that I joined here in the first place. And while I realise that "everybody is entitled to their opinion", I'm a bit disappointed by some people here who apparently like this sh1t.

I don't need to watch the movie to comment on the comedy of Brendan O'Carroll, I have been accidentally exposed to it, unfortunately, on more occasions than I would care to remember, for over 30 years almost. It has been, and always will be, ****E, ever since he was a waiter in the Gresham, I would imagine.

I notice there hasn't been an actual critical appraisal of the movie here, which presumably is what this thread is about. The closest I have seen is the link to Mark Kermode, whose review would pretty much sum up my opinion of MBB, for the last God knows how many years, which is "I did not laugh...not even once"

It's been mentioned here many times before, and on other threads about MBB, but some of you who enjoy this type of "broad comedy" should really watch a programme called Extras, easy to download and available at all the usual places. You may not enjoy all of it, but I'm sure you will piss yourselves laughing at a large part of Series 2

• Advertisement
Advertisement