Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian-Irish co-production Really ? Strangerland

Options
  • 30-03-2014 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

http://filmbase.ie/australian-irish-co-production-strangerland/#.Uzb5nKizLPY

Noticing this I would just like to say that its is fantastic news that a Irish Cinematographer Pj Dillion and Irish crew sound recordist Rob Flanagan, writer Michael Kinirons, and photographer Ross McDonnell, as well as many others will be working on this outstanding film.

Dillion is incredible for his work on runaways and Vikings

My thoughts are why are the Irish Film Board Funding a Australian film that is not even being filmed in Ireland at all.

You think they could ever film a bit of it in a in door stage even a small bit it might ever justify it just a little.

O.k we are sending our top lads over to work on it but does that justify the Irish Film Board funding it ?

Personally I do not think its right there is a tons of home grow films that need funding in Ireland and they wont fund them.

Why should we fund a film that is not even being filmed here.

Ah sure they can also get a few more Irish boys and girls that our government want sent to Australia to work to be extras in it.

So I say it works well for the Irish government send all our talent to another country to work and film and not create jobs here.

With Belfast getting 2 new studios worth 80 million in there Titanic Docklands and Ashford getting 2 Studios and Ardmore.

I mean it is great that we accepted Vikings but rejected Dracula Untold

Why even build 2 studios in Ashford if we are going to be throwing away talent and money to other countries.

This is just my feeling on all this but do feel free to comment on your thoughts on this subject as well and do not hold back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Doesn't it work the other way around too? There's plenty of other countries who give funding to Irish filmmakers for projects that are shot here. Usually there's some sort of caveat where some aspect has to be to do with that country that's funding it (such as having Irish crew or cast involved, shooting one or two scenes in that country, releasing it there first etc.) so without knowing the details of the deal, it's hard to get worked up about this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

It does indeed work the other way round.
    A recentish example is Sensation, the Tom Hall film. The funding was partly Dutch and had a Dutch or possibly French DOP.
    There's a Russian/Irish film in post production at the moment. As far as I know that shot entirely in Russia and had an Irish director and editor, at the very least.

I'm not sure what you mean by Ireland rejecting Dracula Untold. It's possible there wasn't space here given that Vikings, Penny Dreadful and quite likely Ripper Street overlapped their shooting dates with it.
    I've never heard the suggestion that Dracula would shoot here, although the director studied in IADT.

Advertisement