Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS pet tracker

• 30-03-2014 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone currently uses pet tracking devices -i.e gps for tracking whereabouts of dog or cat? I've seen a few online but not sure if they work in ireland or how good they are?
    Thanks,
    Happy14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The GPS aspect of such devices will always work anywhere in the world.

What may or may not work correctly is the part of the device that then transmits their location back to the user. There are some devices made for example by Garmin and others that are aimed at the hunting community in the US that use radio frequencies that are legal in the US but not in Europe. Others use mobile phone technology, and you should check to see whether they use the correct frequencies and standards for Europe. Otherwise, some devices don't transmit positional info at all and only record position onto a microSD memory card or such like for off-line analysis of where your pet has been, sometimes also taking photos, so this isn't in issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It appears to work through the GSM network, so I'd triple check with them that it'll work with Irish mobile providers first. There's a monthly fee for the tracking service too.

Thinking about it some more, Amazon have a similar setup for their 3G based Kindles. They can connect to pretty much any 3G provider worldwide for 'free' to download books from the Amazon store. The amount of data is going to be pretty tiny in the grand scheme of things so is probably covered by their monthly fee as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Happy14

That's great - thanks for all your help- I'll contact Tractive to see if I could trial it for a few weeks maybe:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement