Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Straight Leg Deads

• 30-03-2014 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

After having a number of issues and they seem to stem from week hamstrings(well weaker in comparison to my quads) and was wondering would straight leg deads be one of the best ways to isolate my hamstrings to improve straighten in the muscle...

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

I find them hard to do correctly the whole time, I've use deficit deadlifts to build up strength but the again that was because I wanted to strengthen them specifically for the deadlift. Do you just find them weaker in general or are they holding you back in a specific lift?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I find them hard to do correctly the whole time, I've use deficit deadlifts to build up strength but the again that was because I wanted to strengthen them specifically for the deadlift. Do you just find them weaker in general or are they holding you back in a specific lift?

Been told by my physio they are weaker and the imbalance is causing calf issues atop of some minor issues, it's nothing major but if left unattended could cause issues further down the line. Been given hamstring exercises but would like to be able to do a compound lift that would isolate my hams more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Romanian deadlifts , and Glute Ham Raises, would be a good shout.

I would be wary of straight leg lifts and Deficits if your mobility and form isn't spot on.

I've never done them properly because I've never come across the equipment but glute ham raises sound like they'd be exactly what you'd want. If you don't have access to the equipment you get someone to hold your feet on the when you're in a kneeling position (ass up in the air, straight up from knees to head like a backwards 'L'), you lower yourself to the floor as slowly as possible then push yourself back up, so you're working on the eccentric portion of the movement.

I often do a few sets of romanian deads after my conventional, like a stiff legged except arse goes out backwards and and the plates don't have to touch the ground.

papu wrote: »
    Romanian deadlifts , and Glute Ham Raises, would be a good shout.

I would be wary of straight leg lifts and Deficits if your mobility and form isn't spot on.

Sorry for the copy! you posted as I was typing. At least we have consensus!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Another vote for RDLs, Use straps, for me anyway grip is a limiting factor, and using straps I can do 12 good slow reps with excellent form, without straps all I'm thinking about is getting them out of the way as my grip is failing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you don't have access to the equipment you get someone to hold your feet on the when you're in a kneeling position (ass up in the air, straight up from knees to head like a backwards 'L'), you lower yourself to the floor as slowly as possible then push yourself back up, so you're working on the eccentric portion of the movement.

Nordic falls, innit.

I'd also recommend RDLs and GHRs.

Nordic falls, innit.

Never knew that's what they were called, always thought it was just a poor mans GHR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I find good mornings absolutely destroy my hamstrings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

• Advertisement
Advertisement