Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diploma to degree

Options
  • 30-03-2014 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Not sure where to post this but here goes.

I am studying an online Diploma of Business Management at the moment. I have so far completed 2 out of 8 units and have achieved a high distinction in the first one and a distinction in the second one. I am very pleased with my results so far. However, am I correct in saying that if I were to spend less time and just achieve a pass grade that at the end of the course I still receive the same diploma, ie. Diploma of Business Management? I want to do as well as I can but could finish the course in a lot less time if I were to do less work and settle for a pass. I am also thinking of perhaps continuing my studies on to do a degree after this course. I believe that I could use my diploma as credit towards the degree. If I were to do this would my results be taken into account? For example, if I achieve high results rather than just pass grades, will it bode better for me in getting credits towards a degree?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 leacy22

Hi Richiee,

Unfotunately regardless of how well you do, a pass rate and a 100% rate will provide you with the same qualification - the diploma. That said - you should also receive a transcript of your results as proof of how well you did on the course which will stand to you if you find yourself in a job interview or similar situation.

Different universities have different criteria for accepting a diploma as a pre-requisit for a degree course and they all have there own criteria for what will make you elligibile for exemption from certain classes because of your diploma. High results wouldn't necessarily help you in getting 'credits' towards a degree as you will be receiving the same qualification regardless of your results (provided you pass).

I hope that helps - and remember at the end of the day its what you learn that matters not so much the qualification!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭richiee

Thanks very much Leacy for that reply. Im away from education for a few years and have come back to it for this course. It seems a bit unfair that a pass and a 100% mark receive the same at the end of the day. A pass is only 50% as far as I know. Anyway, thanks again for your reply.

Advertisement