Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightsaver meter

Options
  • 30-03-2014 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have a separate nightsaver meter and clock. Problem is very few units are passing through it with 98% going to general meter rate which is expensive for storage heaters.
     Does the clock kickstart the storage heaters to start storing heat in the bricks overnight or is it merely switching the usage to the nightsaver meter.?

If the boost buttons on the heaters are left on permanently what are the implications. I notice when these are off there is not heat at all. Do I call out an Electric Irel technician or could a private electrician sort it out?  Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi DONPOLI,

Thanks for your post.
    DONPOLI wrote:
    Does the clock kickstart the storage heaters to start storing heat in the bricks overnight or is it merely switching the usage to the nightsaver meter.?

It should be set up to do both. When the meter clock hits midnight, the night storage heaters should be triggered, and in addition all other household usage until 9am will be recorded at the Nightsaver rate.
    DONPOLI wrote:
    If the boost buttons on the heaters are left on permanently what are the implications.

Depending on the model of your storage heaters, the boost control normally controls the release rate of the already-stored heat. Leaving this on permanently would mean all generated heat is dissipated before it has a chance to accumulate.

DONPOLI wrote:
    I notice when these are off there is not heat at all. Do I call out an Electric Irel technician or could a private electrician sort it out?

Do you know the specific make/model of the storage heaters? An operation manual/information from the manufacturer is always a good place to start, if possible. If there was a problem with the meter Electric Ireland could send out a technician, but any appliances beyond the meter (including storage heaters) would be the domain of an independent electrical contractor.

We have some more information here on night storage heaters and the Nightsaver meter. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

Advertisement