Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! Walker WP2211LCD-V2 major problem retuning

• 30-03-2014 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I am currently trying to help an elderly neighbour to retune his Walker TV, model WP2211LCD-V2.

It's just a basic 22", and although I think it is not Saorview officially approved, it seems to be Saorview compliant as the EPG (which has a Saorview logo in the corner) and currently tuned Saorview channels work fully. Neighbour has no idea where the manual of the telly is.

The problem is that there appears to be no way to get into the Setup/Tuning portion of the menu system on the tv, so I am unable to do anything about changing the channels/scanning for the new ones like RTE One HD. He doesn't really care about HD etc., but with the impending removal of RTE One SD he will lose one of the main channels if it can't be retuned.

The menu system on tv pops up with 4 large, colourful, smartphone style icons in the centre of the screen in a horizontal layout (Picture, sound, settings, media browser). Nowhere in the "settings" or its sub sections is there an option to tune in or adjust channel list.
    Also notably I cannot see any Parental lock type options.

Manual section on Walker's website is being no help. They don't have this exact model listed, the nearest is the WP2211LCD-IB, but the menu system and remote control are a very different layout to my neighbour's tv.
    http://www.walker.ie/download/manuals/um/WP2211LCD-IB.pdf

A model called WP2240DVD-IB appears to have the same remote but the menus in this are also different
    http://www.walker.ie/download/manuals/um/WP2240DVD-IB.pdf

I was thinking that it may have been a Parental Lock setting that someone had previously set, thus denying access to certain menus etc., but what is truly weird is that there is no option anywhere that might let me enter a PIN number either.

Does anybody on here have this tv or something really similar? I am usually able to resolve these type of things myself, but I could really do with some help on this as currently I am at a loss as to how to tune this tv.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Antenna

Some receivers will automatically search for any new channels overnight if left in standby, if this TV is completely off/plugged-out every night, it might be worth leaving it in standby overnight and see what happens when its turned on the next day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Thanks for the tip, Antenna, I'll give it a try.
    Truly am baffled by this predicament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

duridian wrote: »
    Truly am baffled by this predicament.

Maybe pop an email off to Walker, they might be able to provide you with a pdf manual for that particular model or advise you how to retune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Hendrik Verhoeven

The menu system on tv pops up with 4 large, colourful, smartphone style icons in the centre of the screen in a horizontal layout (Picture, sound, settings, media browser). Nowhere in the "settings" or its sub sections is there an option to tune in or adjust channel list.

What are the options that do appear in the settings & sub-menus?

The Cush wrote: »
    Maybe pop an email off to Walker, they might be able to provide you with a pdf manual for that particular model or advise you how to retune.
    I might try them tomorrow if leaving in standby overnight doesn't work.
    What are the options that do appear in the settings & sub-menus?

I have screengrabbed some images from Walker manual of a tv which appears to share a similar arrangement for much of the menu system, to illustrate as best I can. The biggest difference being that only 4 oversized icons are available after initially pressing "Menu" on our tv, and all manuals seem to imply their should be an "Installation" icon present as well, the absence of which is the core of my problem.

Picture and Sound icon brings up just what you would expect; adjustment of the screen brightness, contrast, colour, sharpness and sound bass, equalizer etc. There is a "reset" button in the Picture menu, but it just undoes changes to the picture settings, not a complete system-wide factory reset.

Media browser goes nowhere without a usb stick inserted, presumably to play movies, mp3 files etc.
    However the icons in this picture of a media browser from a manual are very similar to the horizontal layout of large icons that our tv brings up as the main menu when "Menu" button is first pressed. Left to right should actually be "Picture", "Sound", "Settings", "Media Browser"
    Please note, this picture of the Media Browser is only to illustrate the visual style of the Main Menu, which has a similar layout. I am not actually stuck in media mode.

300928.jpg

The main setting button brings this up - but without the "Parental" option, which is totally absent:
    300931.jpg

"Conditional Access" seems to relate to CAM modules.
    "Language" has just the options for audio streams and text.
    "Timers" and "Date/Time" options, have nothing unusual.
    "Sources", just for arranging the inputs. (Our tv has no built in DVD player, unlike that of the image I grabbed from a manual, otherwise similar.)

Most important of these submenus I think is "Other settings":
    300932.jpg
    Identical, just with country set to Ireland, Standby Search option not available. I also tried moving to the place where it says "Country" in the hope that would change and cause a factory reset of sorts, like it does on my own Samsung, but it is not possible, it simply moves back to top of list again.

I suspected that whoever previously tuned the tv may have put on the parental lock and restricted some of the menus. What is really weird is that there is no obvious place to enter a number even if I knew the PIN. :confused:

Thanks for the feedback and help. :)

Edit: Got mixed up earlier when I said about "Standby Search" being on. I was thinking of "Scan encrypted". The standby search option is also completely absent from this tv.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The TV is in Hotel Mode, by the looks of it. This disables tuning, etc.

I don't remember the code offhand to disable it, but I'll try find out at work tomorrow.

Thanks byte, would really appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

That is the Media Menu only.

You have a 4 options within that Media Menu (including settings) but they are all for media functions only (ie playing video pictures etc)

There should be back button to bring it out of the media menu to the other menus.

There is a menu lock on these (to disable features) the password is 0000. The process is described on page 15 of the manual

Menu Lock
    Use DOWN or UP buttons to set Menu Lock. Here, you can set/reset locking function for the main menu or the installation menu to restrict access. If the menu lock is disabled, there will be free access to the menu system.
    Disabled:
    All menus are unlocked.
    All Menus:
    All menus are accessible only with the correct lock key. So the user cannot add, delete, rename or move the channels and cannot set the
    timers

http://www.walker.ie/download/manuals/um/WP2211LCD-IB.pdf

Hi STB. Thanks. I understand what you are saying, and why, but unfortunately I think I have given the wrong impression here.

I think it may have been a bad idea of mine to put that picture of the Media Browser Menu in my earlier post.
    I intended that picture only to illustrate the visual style of the initial "Main Menu", as it has a similar look, and I could not find a picture of the actual "Main Menu".

I have not gone into the "Media Browser" at all, as this doesn't work at all without plugging in a USB stick.
    The actual 4 options from left to right in this "Main Menu" are Picture, Sound, Settings, Media Browser.
    Sorry if it I made it seem like I was stuck in media mode.

Funnily enough another lady asked me Monday to retune her tv for her.
    Lo and behold it was the same Walker model. (They must have sold loads of these around the time of the analogue switch-off.)
    However, interestingly this lady's tv had the full 6 options available on the "Main Menu" Left to right the icons were Picture, Sound, Settings, Installation, Channel list, Media Browser.
    Needless to say this second tv was no problem to work with and done in under 2 minutes.

I now firmly believe that the suggestion that the first tv is stuck in "Hotel Mode" is correct.
    I have tried googling for info on how to get into the hidden service menu and re-enable full functionality, but I suspect that these tellys are branded as Walker only in Ireland, and probably some other name in other countries. This is making it very hard to find anything useful about them.

Fingers crossed, hoping that byte or somebody can tell me if they know how to disable this "Hotel Mode"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭pegasuspub

press menu and then 4,7,2,5, on the remote control
    this is the mater code for most vestel made tv's.

• Advertisement
    byte

pegasuspub wrote: »
    press menu and then 4,7,2,5, on the remote control
    this is the mater code for most vestel made tv's.
    I recommend you do NOT tamper with much in there, as that's the Service Menu.

Try Menu 7, 9, 3, 5. You should see a specific "Hotel TV Menu"

The top option is "Hotel Mode" which can be toggled on or off.

I think then to finish you just press OK, if that doesn't work, just hit Menu button.

Excellent, I will pop over and try those codes tomorrow.
    Thanks ever so much guys, really appreciate it, as this is for a man who has often helped me in his own way. (e.g. Last week my car packed up and he lent me his pride and joy till I got sorted.) :)

Hi again.
    Just wanted to follow up with some feedback to let ye know that the Hotel Menu code worked a treat on my neighbour's telly and they are delighted now that their tv is sorted out. Many thanks byte!

I didn't try the Master code for the Service Menu, for fear of doing something wrong, and once Hotel Mode was turned off the normal menus had all that I needed, but thanks for giving the code pegasussub.

:)

byte

Hi again.
    Just wanted to follow up with some feedback to let ye know that the Hotel Menu code worked a treat on my neighbour's telly and they are delighted now that their tv is sorted out. Many thanks byte!

I didn't try the Master code for the Service Menu, for fear of doing something wrong, and once Hotel Mode was turned off the normal menus had all that I needed, but thanks for giving the code pegasussub.

:)
    Glad you got it working! I'm surprised the TV ended up in Hotel Mode to begin with.

Also, kudos for returning to give your feedback (some don't bother responding to whether advice worked or not), as it may help long-term for others who search the same problem.

That same Hotel code should work with most newer Vestel TVs, like Walker, NordMende, some Toshiba, some Sharp, etc. Pretty much any that has a UI similar to the pictures you linked earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭tony melia

i have a walker with satellite tuner since 3rd of april R T E 1 is gon everything else is ok 'even retuning digital aerial i still cant get it

is this my telly or rte's fault 'or maybe i am doing somthing wrong

tony melia wrote: »
    i have a walker with satellite tuner since 3rd of april R T E 1 is gon everything else is ok 'even retuning digital aerial i still cant get it

is this my telly or rte's fault 'or maybe i am doing somthing wrong

I assume RTÉjr and RTÉ1+1 are gone also, they're carried on the same frequency.

Are there any signal strength/quality meter readings available on the TV to see what they're like?
    What type of aerial are you using, indoor?

If so, then your aerial probably isn't good enough to receive both Saorview frequencies. An outdoor aerial is recommended for Saorview reception.

I assume RTÉjr and RTÉ1+1 are gone also, they're carried on the same frequency.

Are there any signal strength/quality meter readings available on the TV to see what they're like?
    What type of aerial are you using, indoor?

If so, then your aerial probably isn't good enough to receive both Saorview frequencies. An outdoor aerial is recommended for Saorview reception.
    i have an out door aerial i can get all other irish digital channels except rte 1

i have an out door aerial i can get all other irish digital channels except rte 1

What is the model no. of the Walker TV?

If you can receive RTÉjr and RTÉ1+1 then RTÉ1 HD will be there by default as they're all on the same frequency, has it got stored elsewhere?

What channel is in position 1, 2 etc.

model wp4070lcd
    the position for rte 1 ...is number 11 as i said all the rest are perfect but there was a notice on screen for rte 1 for a few weeks before saying from 2nd of april i would be no longer to get rte 1 that tv had to be retuned 'its only since the 3rd of april that this channel disappeared and even after retuning it wont return?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

model wp4070lcd
    the position for rte 1 ...is number 11 as i said all the rest are perfect but there was a notice on screen for rte 1 for a few weeks before saying from 2nd of april i would be no longer to get rte 1 that tv had to be retuned 'its only since the 3rd of april that this channel disappeared and even after retuning it wont return?????

There are 2 frequencies to scan. One has all the channels bar RTE1+1/RTE Junior and RTE 1 HD which is on a seperate multiplex/frequency block.

Where are you in the country and can you figure out what frequency the other stations are coming in on.

Alternatively rescan all the frequencies, not just one, its normally called auto.

• Advertisement

What do you see on positions 7 & 8?

RTÉ1 HD should be at position 1 is you're getting a sufficient signal from the second multiplex/frequency.

What do you see on positions 7 & 8?

RTÉ1 HD should be at position 1 is you're getting a sufficient signal from the second multiplex/frequency.
    Found it retuned the complete sat and aerial 'now it working alright 'Many thanks everybody for all your help 'god being thick is poxy lol

Once again thanks

Tony

Just more question went to buy a tele yesterday 'looking in harvey normans i was told the one i was interested in had freeview 'when i asked about reception i was told you cant get freeview in dublin 'but if i lived nearer to the border it would work .Why are these people selling teles with freeview when it cant be got in most of ireland???

Why are these people selling teles with freeview when it cant be got in most of ireland???

Kind of a grey market thing I'd say.

Even though they don't have official Saorview approval, UK Freeview HD tellys now usually work fine with Saorview. With the most recent models I'd expect everything to work 100%. A few years ago there may have been minor issues, such as the MHEG5 teletext not working. I think that was because they still hadn't finally confirmed all the standards required for Saorview.

We have a Samsung Freeview HD tv from 2009-2010. Everything works perfectly except for the Saorview digital teletext. We also have a LG Freeview HD tv from 2013. On the LG everything works 100% flawlessly.

As long as the salesperson at the store can demonstrate to you that Saorview EPG, subtitles, and digital teletext are working on whatever model interests you, then I would not be afraid to purchase it. If by chance something from those 3 features are missing/not working properly then you would be better off leaving it and finding a tv that works 100% with Saorview. The Samsung I own pre-dates Saorview so quite frankly I am very content that it works as well as it does with Saorview. But when purchasing the LG last year I made sure all was right before investing.

Here's my guess as to the why: I would speculate that companies like HN can get a better deal when they buy a larger number of UK model X, probably making them more money per unit sold than they make from a smaller number of Ireland specific, Saorview approved, model Y.
    Knowing that the UK models work okay with Saorview anyway, they also offer UK Freeview HD models for sale here. They probably figure so long as everything works, most customers won't give a rats about the Saorview logo in the corner of the Electronic Programme Guide, which is really the only difference, that tells you the tv is not officially Saorview approved, on a tv that is otherwise fully functional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Stitchy

I would speculate that companies like HN can get a better deal when they buy a larger number of UK model X, probably making them more money per unit sold than they make from a smaller number of Ireland specific, Saorview approved, model Y.

I would seriously doubt there are any "Ireland specific" TVs. Certainly all the big names on the Saorview approved list are Europe-wide or UK models, with the country setting in initial setup deciding whether it's Saorview, Freeview or whatever you want.

Stitchy wrote: »
    I would seriously doubt there are any "Ireland specific" TVs. Certainly all the big names on the Saorview approved list are Europe-wide or UK models, with the country setting in initial setup deciding whether it's Saorview, Freeview or whatever you want.

Okay, maybe my word choice wasn't the best, and my focus in that context was really more on the tvs that have Saorview approval, than on the country. But wouldn't the absence of Saorview logos in areas like the EPG of some tvs like my LG and the presence of that logo in the EPG of other models, such as my neighbour's Walker seem to suggest that some tvs are more aimed at Irish market than others? :confused:
    (Neighbour's Walker has same EPG as a Saorview box that I own.)

[Edit] Actually, in the interest of full disclosure, I took a glance at the Saorview approved list just now and it seems to include my LG model as well now. This model wasn't on the list at the time I bought it last year. So now I am even more surprised as I updated the firmware of the tv only last week and it still doesn't have a Saorview logo anywhere. :confused:

But wouldn't the absence of Saorview logos in areas like the EPG of some tvs like my LG and the presence of that logo in the EPG of other models such as my neighbour's Walker seem to suggest that some tvs are more aimed at Irish market than others? :confused:

Walker are an Irish brand and only supply products to the Irish market so the software is written specifically for the Irish market. The big manufacturers will manufacture products for a pan-European market and so will omit logos etc. from epgs etc.

I recently purchased a Freeview PVR for the UK market only, no options to change country and this has the Freeview logo displayed in the epg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

walker tv problems i cannot remove icons from top of tv

byte

Do a factory reset, seems to be in Store Mode where the TV features are listed across the top of the screen.

I think on Walkers, the Factory Reset may be called "First Time Installation" and you will have to rescan channels. You'll be asked during the install process to choose either Store Mode or Home Mode where you would of course choose the latter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement