Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Practical 2014

Options
  • 30-03-2014 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hey Guys, I'm doing my music practical tomorrow and I'm really nervous about it, does anyone have any advice for me? I'm doing Higher level and I'm doing 4 pieces on piano, and the clap back unprepared test.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

ECM1234 wrote: »
    Hey Guys, I'm doing my music practical tomorrow and I'm really nervous about it, does anyone have any advice for me? I'm doing Higher level and I'm doing 4 pieces on piano, and the clap back unprepared test.

I only took up music in September but it was specifically for the practical that I wanted to do it. I wouldn't know much about how to prepare for the practical in general but I've decided I'll look the examiner in the eye and won't be shaky or anything. I know that mightn't be possible on piano :P but realistically there's no reason to be nervous. They'll probably talk to you for a bit beforehand just to relax you.
    If you make a mistake don't stop or go back over it, just keep playing. You probably know that already. :)
    For the clapping back listen to the tune more than the rhythm, it's easier to remember a tune in your head... Or maybe not, I dunno. :P
    Mine is Wednesday the 9th and I'm looking forward to it. Best of luck!! :D

P.S What are you doing on the piano?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

There really isn't any need to be nervous. I know you're going to be regardless, everyone is.

There's a few minutes before you play which you can use to just calm yourself. You'll have to sign the register first and the examiner will just have some small talk with you.

In regards to the playing, start slower than you think you should. You WILL speed up playing once you start, and that can fluster you. If you do make a mistake, don't stop. Just keep going from a place you know, whether it's a bar ahead or a bar behind. Remember, it's a performance, not just an exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭ECM1234

I only took up music in September but it was specifically for the practical that I wanted to do it. I wouldn't know much about how to prepare for the practical in general but I've decided I'll look the examiner in the eye and won't be shaky or anything. I know that mightn't be possible on piano :P but realistically there's no reason to be nervous. They'll probably talk to you for a bit beforehand just to relax you.
    If you make a mistake don't stop or go back over it, just keep playing. You probably know that already. :)
    For the clapping back listen to the tune more than the rhythm, it's easier to remember a tune in your head... Or maybe not, I dunno. :P
    Mine is Wednesday the 9th and I'm looking forward to it. Best of luck!! :D

P.S What are you doing on the piano?
    Thanks for the advice :) The 4 pieces I'm doing on piano are:
    1. Boulevard of broken dreams- Green Day
    2.Rains of Castamere- (A theme from the TV show "Game of thrones")
    3. Call to magic-(The main theme from the video game "Morrowind")
    4. You'll Never Walk Alone - Liverpool/Celtic football chant
    What about you? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

Try not to be nervous for your exam. There is no need to be. I`m doing my practicals this Friday and actually looking forward to it, especially so it will be out of the way! Practice your pieces this evening, it will give you confidence at how good you are. Don`t even think about making mistakes, thinking about it will make you do it. When you go in just concentrate on the pieces your playing and as already mentioned the timing. When the examiner tells you to start it doesn`t mean you have to plunge into it, take a second until you are ready.
    As for the clapping, concentrate on the melody. If you get the melody stuck in your head you don`t even have to think about the timing.

Hope all goes well for you tomorrow. If you concentrate on what your doing and not what`s around you, you`ll fly through it all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 orlanda

The very best of good luck ECM1234...!! just a quick question do you have to bring the music in with you just to prove you can read it even if you have memorised all the pieces ?

• Advertisement

orlanda wrote: »
    The very best of good luck ECM1234...!! just a quick question do you have to bring the music in with you just to prove you can read it even if you have memorised all the pieces ?
    No you don't have to if you don't want to :) Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

Mines tomorrow hahahahaha april fools...wait it actually is tomorrow lol

Thanks for the advice :) The 4 pieces I'm doing on piano are:
    1. Boulevard of broken dreams- Green Day
    2.Rains of Castamere- (A theme from the TV show "Game of thrones")
    3. Call to magic-(The main theme from the video game "Morrowind")
    4. You'll Never Walk Alone - Liverpool/Celtic football chant
    What about you? :cool:
    First things first, how did it go? What was it like? :)

I know 2 of your 4 pieces, but seems like you had a good mix.
    Mine are:
    1. The Beatles - Blackbird - Guitar
    2. Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer - Guitar + Mouth organ
    3. Billy Joel - Piano Man - Piano + Mouth organ
    4. The Beatles - Lady Madonna - Guitar

I'll be singing for all. :) Won't be bringing in any music coz I'm badass like that B|

....or coz I can't read it... But I won't let the examiner know that! :P
    I hope yours went well today :D

First things first, how did it go? What was it like? :)

I know 2 of your 4 pieces, but seems like you had a good mix.
    Mine are:
    1. The Beatles - Blackbird - Guitar
    2. Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer - Guitar + Mouth organ
    3. Billy Joel - Piano Man - Piano + Mouth organ
    4. The Beatles - Lady Madonna - Guitar

I'll be singing for all. :) Won't be bringing in any music coz I'm badass like that B|

....or coz I can't read it... But I won't let the examiner know that! :P
    I hope yours went well today :D
    Thanks :) Yeah it went fantastically, my music teacher was listening and told me i should get at least 23 out of 25% Only bit that through me back was clapback, but i got most of it, so im happy enough. :D Only advice I can give is practice and don't be nervous. I had two examiners and was recorded, but still i just imagined i was alone while playinf and I flew through it. You seem to have a brilliant choice of pieces, very balaced indeed. Are you alone or in a group for any? :)

It went good. i played two grade five piano pieces and sung two pieces with the choir:) im haaappppyyy:)

• Advertisement

Thanks :) Yeah it went fantastically, my music teacher was listening and told me i should get at least 23 out of 25% Only bit that through me back was clapback, but i got most of it, so im happy enough. :D Only advice I can give is practice and don't be nervous. I had two examiners and was recorded, but still i just imagined i was alone while playinf and I flew through it. You seem to have a brilliant choice of pieces, very balaced indeed. Are you alone or in a group for any? :)

Glad to hear you did well! :) what did you mean about you were recorded, do they do that sometimes? It wouldn't bother me or anything just wondering do they use that then to mark you or what?
    I'm on my own for them all. :)

Glad to hear you did well! :) what did you mean about you were recorded, do they do that sometimes? It wouldn't bother me or anything just wondering do they use that then to mark you or what?
    I'm on my own for them all. :)
    The examiner just records you using a cd or tape, they only record a few, so I wouldn't worry, its just for the other examiners to hear you get the mark you deserve. There's no guarantee either they will listen to your recording either, so you're right not to let it bother you. :) I was on my own too, I find it a lot
    easier if I'm on my own :P

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

Does anyone know the marking scheme or how they mark you for each song you play in the practicals? I did mine today. I think I did well but you can never be sure. Can your music teacher tell you what you got or do they get the marking sheets back?

Our examiner said she was marking us on a whole so if we messed up on one of our pieces it wasn 't that big of a deal!! Its not about how you play its about how you perform it :) Also the clapback/sight reading is only 8 marks :)

pizzamad wrote: »
    Our examiner said she was marking us on a whole so if we messed up on one of our pieces it wasn 't that big of a deal!! Its not about how you play its about how you perform it :) Also the clapback/sight reading is only 8 marks :)

Is it not 20 marks for clapback and 20 for each of your 4 pieces, totalling in 100 at the end?

Advertisement