Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Donal Lenihan is such a hypocrite. In his words Connacht should take in the young upcoming players and bring them on (this is in regards to our new hooker). Yet the other 3 provinces need imports to be competitive

Ggggggrrrrrrrrrr

Treeeeeeeemenjous isnt exactly the guy i would listen to for rational analysis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

freyners wrote: »
    Treeeeeeeemenjous isnt exactly the guy i would listen to for rational analysis

He almost started at it again there. I only listen to Conor O Shae and Horgan. But like Hook he gets a platform and can shape the opinion of the uninformed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Donal Lenihan is such a hypocrite. In his words Connacht should take in the young upcoming players and bring them on (this is in regards to our new hooker). Yet the other 3 provinces need imports to be competitive

Ggggggrrrrrrrrrr

Yeah never mind JHW, Henry and Heffernan

its_phil wrote: »
    Yeah never mind JHW, Henry and Heffernan

Yeah I personally don't think we need the new player but its more the sentiment that we should take/be grateful for players the other provinces don't need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Yeah I personally don't think we need the new player but its more the sentiment that we should take/be grateful for players the other provinces don't need

Who do leinster munster and ulster have that an objective observer would say is unneeded that would actually make the first choice Connacht 23?

In my opinion I can think of 2.

Allen from Ulster could take the Connacht 23 shirt, provide good cover at 12/13 and challenge for a starting spot on either wing.

Domonic Ryan from Leinster 4th choice Leinster 7 and fifth choice leinster 6. Would probably start at 6 for Connacht and be a better 3rd choice 7 than masterson.

That is it really.

Everyone else is needed or wouldn't be wanted by Connacht.

• Advertisement

Who do leinster munster and ulster have that an objective observer would say is unneeded that would actually make the first choice Connacht 23?

Its more a point I was making about Lenihan before. He started to make a point tonight and got cut off. And made it the night of the home match against Munster.
    Connacht are trying/succeeding to be more than just a feeder/Irish whipping boy. Comments and sentiments like that of Lenihan don't help to change the uninformed opinion of people on what is happening in the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Its more a point I was making about Lenihan before. He started to make a point tonight and got cut off. And made it the night of the home match against Munster.
    Connacht are trying/succeeding to be more than just a feeder/Irish whipping boy. Comments and sentiments like that of Lenihan don't help to change the uninformed opinion of people on what is happening in the west.

Don't worry yourself with what lenihan says, man. He's a cheaper version of George Hook.

Be happy that he's feeling inadequate about the number of young players connacht are bringing through as opposed to munster under his watch.

take it as a compliment:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Lenihan is no cheap version of Hook.

Lenihan has been there and done it for nearly everything in the rugby world.

Played for Con, Munster, Ireland and 3 tours for the Lions. He's also been a manager for a Lions tour too. There are very few, if any, of the RTE panelists with his background in the game.

I don't know what he said that's riled people up but his background in the game is top notch and he doesn't say stuff to get a rise out of people.

rockbeast wrote: »
    Don't worry yourself with what lenihan says, man. He's a cheaper version of George Hook.

Be happy that he's feeling inadequate about the number of young players connacht are bringing through as opposed to munster under his watch.

take it as a compliment:)

Oh I know and you know he's a cheap hook but the people who only get terms of reference for Connacht from him it's not good for perception really.

On another more positive note I'm looking forward to tomorrow last home game of the season is always a good day. I hope the boys get a good send of tomorrow

CatFromHue wrote: »

Played for Con, Munster, Ireland and 3 tours for the Lions. He's also been a manager for a Lions tour too. There are very few, if any, of the RTE panelists with his background in the game.

I don't know what he said that's riled people up but his background in the game is top notch and he doesn't say stuff to get a rise out of people.

His attitude towards Connacht is a disgrace. And to say those things on TV...?

His academy "boss" days haven't produced pearls like connacht have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't know what he said so can't really comment nor do I know what his involvement with any academy is.

Comparing him to Hook is rubbish though.

I don't know what he said so can't really comment nor do I know what his involvement with any academy is.

Comparing him to Hook is rubbish though.

You're right. I was being disingenuous to George...who at least has coached at an impressive level...

Hook is a troll, Lenihan is either saying something he beleives or is misinformed in regards to Connacht. I don't know what is more dangerous as he has a platform to say it nationally

What exactly did he say?

The game isn't up on the RTE player so I can't watch it back.

Granted Lenihan's never been a head coach but to even compare Lenihan and Hook is pure rubbish. Playing wise only really ROG of the RTE panelists can compare to Lenihan, Horgan would be close too. He has been manager to a very high level too with stints with Ireland and the Lions.

What exactly did he say?

Granted Lenihan's never been a head coach but to even compare Lenihan and Hook is pure rubbish. Playing wise only really ROG of the RTE panelists can compare to Lenihan, Horgan would be close too. He has been manager to a very high level too with stints with Ireland and the Lions.

Sorry, CFH, but what?

We're talking about commentating here. Lenihan was an awesome player but that doesn't necessarily transfer to commentating.

He, to me at least, has an unjustified bugbear with connacht.

What exactly did he say?

During the Munster match he said Connacht really shouldn't be importing some players as there is good players coming through other provinces academies and should get taken up by Connacht.
    Tonight he was about to go on about the role of Connacht rugby in that sense. Now i may be tetchy about the whole thing (mountain molehill type of thing) but I don't think it's right

rockbeast wrote: »
    Sorry, CFH, but what?

We're talking about commentating here. Lenihan was an awesome player but that doesn't necessarily transfer to commentating.

He, to me at least, has an unjustified bugbear with connacht.

I just dont think you can compare Hook and Lenihan, that's the only reason I was replying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

Besides his kicking yips Ronaldson has been impressive in the 10 slot, with both O'Leary and Porter signed you could pair either of them with him as a fall back, not to mention leader at 15.

Carty has also been impressive, decision making isn't as good as Nikora's or Ronaldson's yet but with time that will pick up. His kicking range need lengthening, when he has gone for distance his impressive accuracy deserts him.

Nikora, to quote ouncer here, is a dependable outhalf, you know what your going to get with him. His kicking the last day impressed me, really had an extra 5m that hasnt been there historically.

We actually have some decent 10's for next season, but there is noone to take the game by the scruff of the neck yet, 1 of the two newer lads could definitely get there though with time

Freyners, don't be quoting me too much. I'd get this impression that people agree with me at which point I would be insufferable. :-)

During the Munster match he said Connacht really shouldn't be importing some players as there is good players coming through other provinces academies and should get taken up by Connacht.
    Tonight he was about to go on about the role of Connacht rugby in that sense. Now i may be tetchy about the whole thing (mountain molehill type of thing) but I don't think it's right

Ideally Connacht wouldn't be importing as many players if we could get guys to move there instead.

Team v cardiff

15. Darragh Leader
    14. Danie Poolman
    13. Robbie Henshaw
    12. Eoin Griffin
    11. Matt Healy
    10. Miah Nikora
    9. Kieran Marmion

1. Ronan Loughney
    2. Jason Harris-Wright
    3. Rodney Ah You
    4. Aly Muldowney
    5. Mick Kearney
    6. John Muldoon (captain)
    7. Willie Faloon
    8. Eoin McKeon

Replacements:

16. Dave Heffernan
    17. Denis Buckley
    18. Finlay Bealham
    19. Michael Swift
    20. Andrew Browne
    21. Frank Murphy
    22. Dan Parks
    23. Gavin Duffy

With Gavin at 23 its clear that both fionn and tiernan are longterm injured. I do know that jack has his weaknesses but he needs his game time. Simply put nikora is not a first 10, will never be. Yes we have a problem going into next year but Dan or miah ain't the answer. This is proven. So are we needing to see this. We have already seen it. Why are they within the 23. New ideas so try them with two games of no major significance to go. If miah starts next year then its a backward step.

• Advertisement

ouncer wrote: »
    With Gavin at 23 its clear that both fionn and tiernan are longterm injured. I do know that jack has his weaknesses but he needs his game time. Simply put nikora is not a first 10, will never be. Yes we have a problem going into next year but Dan or miah ain't the answer. This is proven. So are we needing to see this. We have already seen it. Why are they within the 23. New ideas so try them with two games of no major significance to go. If miah starts next year then its a backward step.

CatFromHugh won't be impressed - obviously too may imports in that 23 as compared to munster;)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Past achievements have little to do with offering quality insight as a TV pundit!!
    http://bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/The-Hierarchy-of-Knowledge.jpg

S12b wrote: »
    Past achievements have little to do with offering quality insight as a TV pundit!!
    http://bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/The-Hierarchy-of-Knowledge.jpg

As I tend to be reminded this is a Connacht thread so give it a miss lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I'd imagine Duffy is only there for a run-out and farewell from the fans, something he deserves after his years of service. Same goes for Parks, to a certain extent.

Ideally Connacht wouldn't be importing as many players if we could get guys to move there instead.

I agree and if the quality is there you could say the same for all provinces. But its not and connacht now need to get to the top tier European cup on their own merit so if we need to import to bolster our chances just like everyone else I don't see the problem.

I also think we should be under the same niq rules as the other three provinces but then the irfu distribution of funds should be equal. Swings and roundabouts

My problem is with a national pundit whose opinion would be respected saying on national tv that Connacht should be a feeder team so fringe players of other provinces should get game time and not be their own team in their own right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Lenihan doesn't make any sense. Why should we be the only team that shouldn't bring in imports? We all do it. It's to improve the team. The only thing we do differently is if they guy is deemed good enough he's asked to show us what he can do eg. Marmion, Henshaw, Carty, Leader. Ulster are the only other team throwing in the young fellas. Leinster are doing it but they are more cautious and there's not a lot coming through from Munster. If either of the other teams can't develop their own players that's their fault and it shouldn't be up to us to try and correct that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Shelflife

evil_seed wrote: »
    Lenihan doesn't make any sense. Why should we be the only team that shouldn't bring in imports? We all do it. It's to improve the team. The only thing we do differently is if they guy is deemed good enough he's asked to show us what he can do eg. Marmion, Henshaw, Carty, Leader. Ulster are the only other team throwing in the young fellas. Leinster are doing it but they are more cautious and there's not a lot coming through from Munster. If either of the other teams can't develop their own players that's their fault and it shouldn't be up to us to try and correct that

Lenihan makes perfect sense, but hes speaking from a munster pov and the others speak from a leinster pov, let Connacht build up and find the talent and then we can come along and take them.

RTE couldnt give a ****e about Connacht, they rarely come west and even then its usually because leinster or munster are in town or they can take the bbc feed. do they ever have a Connacht player on the panel ? Dont count Birch as hes more leinster as far as they are concerned.

So these people can come on and pontificate as to how we in the west should run our province for the benefit of the big players.

Shelflife wrote: »
    Lenihan makes perfect sense, but hes speaking from a munster pov and the others speak from a leinster pov, let Connacht build up and find the talent and then we can come along and take them.

RTE couldnt give a ****e about Connacht, they rarely come west and even then its usually because leinster or munster are in town or they can take the bbc feed. do they ever have a Connacht player on the panel ? Dont count Birch as hes more leinster as far as they are concerned.

So these people can come on and pontificate as to how we in the west should run our province for the benefit of the big players.

I'd love to watch that channel--RTE4?:pac:

As I tend to be reminded this is a Connacht thread so give it a miss lads

They're discussing Donal Lenihan and his views towards Connacht.....what thread exactly would you have that in....the Donal Lenihan thread?

Murphy, Parks and Duffy are on the bench to be given a send off in front of the home crowd, a send off they absolutely deserve.....give them this evening and then you won't see them on a teamsheet again!!

• Advertisement

Murphy, Parks and Duffy are on the bench to be given a send off in front of the home crowd, a send off they absolutely deserve.....give them this evening and then you won't see them on a teamsheet again!!

Here here. Should be a good occasion hopefully send off with a win

Here here. Should be a good occasion hopefully send off with a win

And we shouldn't forget Eoin Griffin or POD either!!

And we shouldn't forget Eoin Griffin or POD either!!

A lot leaving this year. Griffin will be a loss. Hopefully Henshaw steps up to the plate. Shame PODs injuries have got to him back I hear

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Bundee with a try this morning for the Chiefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

its_phil wrote: »
    Bundee with a try this morning for the Chiefs.

There's a video of all the tries here
    http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/10006355/Chiefs-over-rule-Lions

So my free ticket people have backed out so pm me if you want tickets for the match

• Advertisement

Falon withddrawn for a hammer problem, gilly to 7 in his place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

8-0 to Connacht.

Healy scores after a lovely grubber through from Marmion off the scrum 10-0

Its gone now

Henshaw try 15-3.

• Advertisement

2 tries in 2 minutes for Cardiff and it's 17-15 to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

matthew8 wrote: »
    2 tries in 2 minutes for Cardiff and it's 17-15 to them.
    Christ...

Another Cardiff try and Connacht have Muldowney in the bin.

22-15 to Cardiff FT. It will be interesting to hear what happened in that second half to turn the game around.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

Very disappointing result after being 15-3 up with less than 30 minutes left.

Judging by the twitter updates the scrum seemed to fall apart. Or perhaps it was under pressure from the beginning, but the ref eventually got sick of it in the second half. Cardiff's first was a penalty try & it said Muldowney's yellow was after an infringement at the scrum.

Being 15-3 up after 45 minutes probably flattered us a bit, Cardiff had more possession and territory than us but we were keeping them out and converted any chances we got.

The scrum was always a bit dodgy, I can't remember any scrum we were clearly dominant in. Having said that, it was holding together ok for the first 50 but did seem to collapse once the changes came.

I wouldn't have too many complaints about the first try. As I said, they had plenty possession and were always likely to score.....try on the 5m line, got the shove on a few times and ref went under the posts.

Their second try which came about 90 seconds later was a disaster though!! Leader came and took an excellent high ball but hurt himself landing so he was out of play, Henshaw then knocked on in contact, ball was kicked through to where the fb would have been and I think it was Buckley that went to dive on it, fumbled it and Cardiff player nipped in kicked on and touched down.

After that, confidence seemed to fade away and we weren't the same team that played in the first half at all. Muldowney got carded for persistent team fouling I think and then McKeon a few minutes later for a tip tackle....inevitable then came and Cardiff ran in an overlap try.

Another disappointing result and 1 of about 6 or 7 this season where we really should have won the game!!

Positives: lineout was pretty much perfect, ball security at breakdown was much better (don't think we got done for holding on once), Leader had another solid outing and seems to now be fully comfortable at this level and for what it's worth to us, I thought Gilsenan looked a fine player.

Negatives: scrum well beaten and backline barely fired all game, hardly any line breaks....oh and the small matter of being unable to consistently win games we should be winning!!

I just watched the pre match build up to the Ulster v Leinster game on the RTE Player and maybe I wasn't listening fully but I don't remember anything being said about Connacht. It was a very good piece and quite interesting in general but I don't remember anything other than Lenihan talking about Gilsensan to do with Connacht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What a statement. Brilliant signing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement