Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Fair play. Irrespective of his playing powers these days this a huge signing for Connacht in that it gets their name out there in NZ and he will be a huge asset for the development of the likes of Henshaw and O'Halloran and Leyden (whatever happened to him?). Plus I'm sure he is still handy enough!

Good day for Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

What an absolutely phenomenal signing. Still a top player & absolute worst case scenario if he never steps foot on the field he'll bring structure & a wealth of experience for guys who need a clear guiding influence in their career. Will be great for Leader but moreso TOH & Carr who perhaps have lost sight of the type of player they should be & stopped developing accordingly. Besides at 10, back line starting to look as good as any in Pro12

If Clarke does recover & come back team looks immensely better for next season with key weaknesses the focus of recruitment. McCartney & Aki very good signings to fill obvious weaknesses while Gilsenan seems the shrewdest of the lot. Porter a great improvement on Frank & POD

Still worried at 10. Nikora a grand back-up but has always come up short as first-choice. Interesting to see how much game time Carty & O'Leary get but fear all talent behind could be wasted by lack of puppet-master. Ronaldson nowhere near level required.

Maybe there's one more surprise up Lam's sleave but fear not given the quantity over quality already there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Brilliant news. Delighted for Connacht.

With him at 15 allowing Henshaw to settle in to 13 Connacht have a potentially devastating backline for next season. I'm looking forward for their push for 6th place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

GymJim wrote: »
    What an absolutely phenomenal signing. Still a top player & absolute worst case scenario if he never steps foot on the field he'll bring structure & a wealth of experience for guys who need a clear guiding influence in their career. Will be great for Leader but moreso TOH & Carr who perhaps have lost sight of the type of player they should be & stopped developing accordingly. Besides at 10, back line starting to look as good as any in Pro12

If Clarke does recover & come back team looks immensely better for next season with key weaknesses the focus of recruitment. McCartney & Aki very good signings to fill obvious weaknesses while Gilsenan seems the shrewdest of the lot. Porter a great improvement on Frank & POD

Still worried at 10. Nikora a grand back-up but has always come up short as first-choice. Interesting to see how much game time Carty & O'Leary get but fear all talent behind could be wasted by lack of puppet-master. Ronaldson nowhere near level required.

Maybe there's one more surprise up Lam's sleave but fear not given the quantity over quality already there

Agree with all this but Gilsenan was only with us on a loan deal for the few games this season, he has been signed by London Irish. We have Jake Heenan coming back though so it's all good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

When is Muliaina supposed to be back from shoulder surgery? I haven't seen him since he played for New Zealand but even if he's 50% of the player he was it's a fantastic signing. You couldn't pick a better bloke to mentor players like Henshaw, Leader, TOH et al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

When is Muliaina supposed to be back from shoulder surgery? I haven't seen him since he played for New Zealand but even if he's 50% of the player he was it's a fantastic signing. You couldn't pick a better bloke to mentor players like Henshaw, Leader, TOH et al.

This is the thing, his influence will be huge and he will get the crowds out at the Sportsground as well. I'm sure he is still well capable of turning it on at Pro 12 level as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Whatever anyone says about Lam as a coach, there's little doubt that his presence has been a huge factor in some of these signings.

Massive signing. Hopefully he goes to 15 and Henshaw learns at 13 but, with Mils' experience at 13 too, he can help there and bring Henshaw along in that area too.

bilston wrote: »
    This is the thing, his influence will be huge and he will get the crowds out at the Sportsground as well. I'm sure he is still well capable of turning it on at Pro 12 level as well.

Yeah a signing like this really gets people excited, Muliaina's wages could pay for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He is a great example to have around, no doubt, but id hate to see Connacht having their Christian Cullen moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Well done Pat Lam - great signing for Connacht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    He is a great example to have around, no doubt, but id hate to see Connacht having their Christian Cullen moment.

He's lost pace, but he's not crocked permanently (recovering post elbow surgery). I guess he'll play 15, but can also do a job at 13. He's still as good as ever, just not that fast anymore, but given Connacht's defensive issues this season, an excellent signing, and allows Henshaw to play 13 consistently, with Aki at 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Even from a marketing point hes some signing, like surely more people will go to a game to watch a All Black, I know I would for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Great signing, i see its only a one year deal so would he move on again after the season? Two year deal would be ideal at least he could be involved in coaching if he wasnt starting.

case885 wrote: »
    Great signing, i see its only a one year deal so would he move on again after the season? Two year deal would be ideal at least he could be involved in coaching if he wasnt starting.

Muliaina turns 34 in July so I think 1 year is enough for now.

• Advertisement

Indeed. He is in and out of the Chiefs team due to injury. 2 years would be a big commitment for Connacht an unnecessary. In a year, I'm sure they'll be able to extend for another season if he's agreeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Get the sense he'll be contributing as much off the field as on it. Leader and Layden (as well as Henshaw obviously) are some good young Irish fullbacks and hopefully they'll learn a lot from him. Ideally though he isn't blocking their progress by playing too much, Leader looks solid but Layden looked like a potential superstar underage. Dunno whats happened to him but if theres a chance for him to get an extended run in the side Id love to see him get it ahead of Muliaini

Dont think his age will matter if hes coaching.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Potentially a great signing. Depends on how much pace he's retained I guess, and on how many injuries he's carrying.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Dont think his age will matter if hes coaching.

He's been signed as a player/mentor though.

• Advertisement

He's been signed as a player/mentor though.

I presume being a mentor involves coaching no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Tox56 wrote: »
    Get the sense he'll be contributing as much off the field as on it. Leader and Layden (as well as Henshaw obviously) are some good young Irish fullbacks and hopefully they'll learn a lot from him. Ideally though he isn't blocking their progress by playing too much, Leader looks solid but Layden looked like a potential superstar underage. Dunno whats happened to him but if theres a chance for him to get an extended run in the side Id love to see him get it ahead of Muliaini
    Layden has been cursed with injuries more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

I presume being a mentor involves coaching no?

I think his/her point is that the age factor might matter for the 'player' aspect of his role.

Looks like a great signing. Lam seems to be doing very well on the recruitment side of things. Can't wait to see what this side can do next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Quinn Roux might be joining from Leinster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Fantastic signing for Connacht. I know its been rumoured for a while, but that's a phenomenal coup. Lam's connections are bringing some high profile players west.

Where is all the money coming from? Are the IRFU chipping in extra as they did with Ulster a few years ago, or is there some private investment? Its hard to believe that Connacht could afford such high profile players.

Fantastic signing for Connacht. I know its been rumoured for a while, but that's a phenomenal coup. Lam's connections are bringing some high profile players west.

Where is all the money coming from? Are the IRFU chipping in extra as they did with Ulster a few years ago, or is there some private investment? Its hard to believe that Connacht could afford such high profile players.

I'd say Parks, Duffy and Griffin were on decent contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Fantastic signing for Connacht.

I doubt it's for the money he has come.

He made his money in Japan. I'd day he's looking at this as his step into coaching and with Craig Clarke and now Bundee Aki as well there it's a good fit for him.

He also emphasises his good relationship with Pat Lam in the press release

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Would you be happy with the signing?

Its hard to believe that any lock who can't surpass the current incarnation of Cullen being worth a professional contract in Ireland. Although, he has undoubted potential and will soon be IQ.

on current form, he would be behind clarke, muldowney, Kearney and browne, not sure if hes a recruit we need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Where did you hear that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

MM has done it all and at the highest levels in the game - the knock on effect of just having someone like him involved is huge. A massive statement from Connacht and a serious coup. Can only be a good thing and fantastic news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Connacht could have a fantastic season ahead of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Do people think the irfu have had a look at the league and thought "it's not unrealistic to get all four teams to Europe".

I think Connacht will certainly be aiming that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

It's an amazing signing and all I hope for is that he comes in with the same attitude as Keith Wood did at Munster when he came back from Quins and demands the players expect more of themselves.

We really can't afford to be losing games at home next year to the likes of the Scarlets and Cardiff next year. Just not okay anymore and even now.

When you take into account that Scarlets have qualified and Cardiff are one spot outside of qualifying, Connacht should really be aiming for that spot next season.

They've made some big signings and their starting 15 should be well able to defeat those sides given who they are losing.

In fact, Connacht should really aiming to win the Challenge Cup next season. Teams like Gloucester, Newcastle, Brive, Bayonne etc. should hold no fear for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

Great signing. Always thought that MM had a great leadership presence on the field for the All Blacks. Hopefully he can bring some of that to the Connaught team. Will attract new supporters to the Sportsground also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

Don't think so, I was at the Leinster awards thingy Saturday and he wasn't one of the players announced as leaving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

LostArt wrote: »
    Don't think so, I was at the Leinster awards thingy Saturday and he wasn't one of the players announced as leaving

If we sign Kane Douglas we could do with sending him across for a year on loan. He needs consistent game time and there's no way he'd get it if we sign an NIQ.

Contrary to other posters I think he'd be more than good enough for Connacht and would be a valuable part of a rotational system in their pack. He needs experience and coaching, but he's physically and mentally up to it. I'd love to see him move over, that would definitely make us even for pilfering McCarthy.

If we sign Kane Douglas we could do with sending him across for a year on loan. He needs consistent game time and there's no way he'd get it if we sign an NIQ.

Contrary to other posters I think he'd be more than good enough for Connacht and would be a valuable part of a rotational system in their pack. He needs experience and coaching, but he's physically and mentally up to it. I'd love to see him move over, that would definitely make us even for pilfering McCarthy.

Really, Roux is for Leinster what McCarthy was for us? Roux and McCarthy are not even on the same level of player imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I'd love to see him move over, that would definitely make us even for pilfering McCarthy.

Eh what? That's like giving up a Big Mac in McDonalds and getting a Rustlers microwave burger instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

its_phil wrote: »
    It's an amazing signing and all I hope for is that he comes in with the same attitude as Keith Wood did at Munster when he came back from Quins and demands the players expect more of themselves.

We really can't afford to be losing games at home next year to the likes of the Scarlets and Cardiff next year. Just not okay anymore and even now.

I'm really hoping for this too. The team could be galvanized with these signing and maybe a few good results.

its_phil wrote: »
    Eh what? That's like giving up a Big Mac in McDonalds and getting a Rustlers microwave burger instead.

loving the comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

The IRFU have, not unjustifiably, come in for a lot of stick from Connacht fans over the last few years but there is some serious bankrolling going on here so credit where it's due.

If Muliaina is anything close to fit and injury free next season he'll be a great signing.

I think Connacht are putting a decent squad together but is there still a yawning gap at ten?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Not a prayer Henshaw will leave any time soon, I reckon. Which is fantastic for Connacht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Jumping the gun as I may well be, but is there any plan to extend the Sportsground; or what alternatives could there be to host Connacht matches?

It's hard to imagine the IRFU bankrolling Connacht without some plan to extend their income avenues as their stock rises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Delighted with the signing much needed leadership and guidance for the backline

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

So who else is being recruited. Quinn Roux, Jack Conan (Leinster 8) and a 10?

A 10 needs to be a priority now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The IRFU have, not unjustifiably, come in for a lot of stick from Connacht fans over the last few years but there is some serious bankrolling going on here so credit where it's due.

If Muliaina is anything close to fit and injury free next season he'll be a great signing.

I think Connacht are putting a decent squad together but is there still a yawning gap at ten?

I dont know about yawning gap but Ronaldson or Carty coming through in a big way would be an absolutely massive bonus. A backline of

Marmion
    Carty/Ronaldson
    Healy/O'Halloran
    Aki/McSharry
    Henshaw
    Poolman
    Muliaina/Leader/Layden

would, at this level, have very good depth and look seroiusly threatening if one of those 10s can come through similar to Marmion/Henshaw in the last few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

If you ask me, Connacht and Galway Football Club should be lobbying to get a municipal stadium built in the city.

OR....

The GAA have a huge white elephant of a stadium out in Salthill that they barely ever fill, and have a huge debt still hanging over it. (and I'm a huge GAA fan)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Jumping the gun as I may well be, but is there any plan to extend the Sportsground; or what alternatives could there be to host Connacht matches?

It's hard to imagine the IRFU bankrolling Connacht without some plan to extend their income avenues as their stock rises.

Attendances have gone up a lot at the Sportsground in the last few years but we still don't sell out a small place on a regular basis.

Team needs to keep improving and winning games, this will get attendances up and when the Sportsground is selling out for league games then they could consider expanding.....until the team is consistently better I would see no point in expanding.....it would be a case of putting the cart before the horse!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement