Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

"Lads do either of ye know the best route to Kiltimagh?"

INPHO_00930761.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

b.gud wrote: »
    "Lads do either of ye know the best route to Kiltimagh?"

INPHO_00930761.jpg

Not a fear between two Kiwis and a Dub one of them knows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

To be fair Edinburgh also lost against a fairly shite dragons side last week.

Leinster can and should be beating them.

Times announced for final games http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/34555.php#.VVIZOmRVhBc

Connacht will be shown on S4C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

wp_rathead wrote: »
    The size of Peter Robb
    INPHO_00930738.jpg

He's a giant with great hands. One of the players I really hope comes home in the future.

.ak wrote: »
    He's a giant with great hands. One of the players I really hope comes home in the future.

Tomorrows Irish Independent "Sources say Leinster are looking to steal Robb back from Connacht"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm glad they've gone with Pirtek, official sponsor of Connacht Rugby and not Pirtek, official supplier of fluid transport solutions to Connacht Rugby

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Swifty won the Medal of Excellence award at the IRUPA bash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Plus Robbie won Try of the Year (v Eng) and YPOTY for 3rd Year in a Row

• Advertisement

Plus Robbie won Try of the Year (v Eng) and YPOTY for 3rd Year in a Row

And for the second year in a row, he couldn't win the Clan YPOTY. Overrated much :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

Would think that this year we really should get the award for young back-line of the year. Great to see the youngsters scoring. Had considered Healy on wing for Ireland. Four issues he has to deal with. Experience, experience, experience and tackling. He will get there. When I look at an international team I look at Trimble and bowe on wings (not zebo). They are both physically good in defence as they are in attack (I would say the same for earls). So I'm a huge fan of Healy but he has his weaknesses. He will be very very good all in time

Glad to see there was a reminder about guest passes from the office today. Tomorrow is the deadline so get on to them anyone who hasn't!

Speaking of, has anyone picked them up before? I'll be getting them on the day of the game, I presume they'll be at the ticket office at the main stand gate?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Bazzo wrote: »
    Glad to see there was a reminder about guest passes from the office today. Tomorrow is the deadline so get on to them anyone who hasn't!

Speaking of, has anyone picked them up before? I'll be getting them on the day of the game, I presume they'll be at the ticket office at the main stand gate?
    That's where I got them last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Get there early, it's not the most efficient of systems on match day .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Shelflife wrote: »
    Get there early, it's not the most efficient of systems on match day .

Understatement of the century :P

• Advertisement

Yeah I was planning to be there in plenty of time anyhow haha

If anyone is still looking for tickets the main stand is almost sold out according to Connacht rugby twitter. I just got mine. Roll on Saturday

You can go into the branch office and get them today. I did that a while back for the Edinburgh.

its_phil wrote: »
    You can go into the branch office and get them today. I did that a while back for the Edinburgh.

Won't even be in the country til tomorrow unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Just collected my ST freebies from the branch office.
    Bring on Saturday.

• Advertisement

Connacht will, along with the other provinces, be taking part in the world club sevens series in Limerick.
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/34586.php

Interesting to see who, if anyone, will be involved from the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I said last year all the provinces should have been involved in this. Good to see they will be this year.

The Munster squad last year was a mixture of fringe squad and academy players.

It's also good to see that they realised that clashing with an All-Ireland Hurling SF weekend was a bad idea!

Edit: I see it's on a Friday and Saturday instead of Saturday/Sunday last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Connacht will, along with the other provinces, be taking part in the world club sevens series in Limerick.
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/34586.php

Interesting to see who, if anyone, will be involved from the squad.

Niyi, Carr, TOH, Leader, Cooney, Healy, McKeon jr

evil_seed wrote: »

Probably need some forwards too and I highly doubt any of those guys will be playing excusing Carr and McKeon.

The likes of Blade, Moloney and Gaffney are more likely. Maybe Niyi with his experience playing 7s at Trinity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

evil_seed wrote: »
    And your forwards will be?
    Blade, Gaffney will also be options.

I'd have Peter Robb, Ciaran Gaffney and Blade alright
    And Niyi. Gotta have Niyi.

Forwards? Could use academy flankers. Rory Maloney? James Connolly? Mark Kelly?
    Munster 7's last year only had the 2 recognised XV forward in Ryan Murphy and Shane Buckley

Thought the Neil Francis article in the indo today was something. First he describes pat lam as a well spoken guy and then finishes the article by saying Connacht haven't a hope of getting 6th place which will lead to the 'silence of the lam'. So if he thinks pat is a well spoken and intelligent rugby man why would he be inferring that should Connacht not qualify this will shut pat up and this would be a good thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm fairly sure when Franno was thinking of writing an article on Connacht he came up with "silence of the Lam" first and then worked backwards.

In general I think he's right about Connacht's season.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure when Franno was thinking of writing an article on Connacht he came up with "silence of the Lam" first and then worked backwards.

In general I think he's right about Connacht's season.

The man thought Macken was a better attacker than Henshaw after the first Leinster game and the general tone of the article was Connacht are still crap boggers.

First word on us since then and if he thinks we should have picked up certain wins then have a look at the "goys" who have the same amount of wins with a better squad. Not a slight against Leinster either, just pointing out the uselessness of the bigot that is Neil Francis. And BTW he was part of that Ireland team in the 80s/90s.

Pin it to the dressing room wall as my old rowing coach use to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Like Stephen Jones, Francis is a paid troll. Please stop referencing his articles toilet paper material on here!

• Advertisement

The man thought Macken was a better attacker than Henshaw after the first Leinster game and the general tone of the article was Connacht are still crap boggers.

First word on us since then and if he thinks we should have picked up certain wins then have a look at the "goys" who have the same amount of wins with a better squad. Not a slight against Leinster either, just pointing out the uselessness of the bigot that is Neil Francis. And BTW he was part of that Ireland team in the 80s/90s.

Franno is and always has been Leinster, and it's coaches, biggest critics and has been giving MOC stick all season. Far more that anything he's put to Lam or Connacht.

Who do you think thought up the Ladyboys tag?

I'll give you a clue, it wasn't Jim Glennon or Gerry Thornley :pac:

To be fair I actually think his articles are quite funny. There's no way that even he believes the ****e he spouts, and if he does? Well, that's even funnier tbh.

Pin it in the dressing room is a good solution. That said most would simply ignore. If somebody like Brendan fanning published an article like that (which he wouldn't) then the blood would boil. Most simply ignore, correctly so, any article by Neil Francis (I refuse to use the franno term, it is a form of association).

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Franno is and always has been Leinster, and it's coaches, biggest critics and has been giving MOC stick all season. Far more that anything he's put to Lam or Connacht.

Who do you think thought up the Ladyboys tag?

I'll give you a clue, it wasn't Jim Glennon or Gerry Thornley :pac:

Oh I'm aware of Francis, I got drunk at the schools cup final a few years ago with a few Connacht mates and we let Neil Francis know what we thought of him during the broadcast on Setanta. The only proud thing about that day tbh!

He's a fool with a mouth, who offers stupid and proven offensive metaphors to offset any true analysis. You look at the quality Murray Kinsella provides for a small outlet like The42 and you see that joke of a writer in the Indo three times a week. I know he's been very harsh on Leinster but again I've read very little insight on them other than a metaphor now and again..

Put it this way, if I asked Neil Francis to name Connacht starting XV he wouldn't have a bloody clue outside Muldoon, Marmion and Henshaw

So an article where Robbie said that jack is doing great things at Connacht. If we had Craig this weekend then he would be at 10. McKeon at 10 must have been a tempter. Nice to see marmion got a kick up the arse and responded last week

From the Connacht rugby twitter
    The Connacht team to play Ospreys in #theBigDecider on Saturday will be named at 12 noon today...and there are a few changes. #HappyFriday

It'll be interesting to see who the changes are. Ronaldson fit earlier than expected? Poolman injured, Niyi back in? Marmion back in for a start?
    They're the main possible changes that spring to my mind.

From the Connacht rugby twitter

It'll be interesting to see who the changes are. Ronaldson fit earlier than expected? Poolman injured, Niyi back in? Marmion back in for a start?
    They're the main possible changes that spring to my mind.

Poolman out id guess.

Poolman out id guess.

That's the most likely one alright. Wonder will we see a complete curveball and see McKeon, the younger, come in in place of Jack

That's the most likely one alright. Wonder will we see a complete curveball and see McKeon, the younger, come in in place of Jack

The biggest curveball in our history after Jack getting the call against Leinster ahead of Parks last season. Surely not..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Carr In !!!!!

15. Tiernan O’Halloran
    14. Fionn Carr
    13. Robbie Henshaw
    12. Bundee Aki
    11. Matt Healy
    10. Jack Carty
    9. Kieran Marmion

1. Denis Buckley
    2. Tom McCartney
    3. Rodney Ah You
    4. Andrew Browne
    5. Aly Muldowney
    6. John Muldoon (captain)
    7. Eoghan Masterson
    8. Eoin McKeon

Replacements:

16. Dave Heffernan
    17. JP Cooney
    18. Finlay Bealham
    19. Michael Swift
    20. George Naoupu
    21. John Cooney
    22. Miah Nikora
    23. Shane O’Leary

Not sure I agree with selections of Swift over Dillane, or Marmion over Cooney (better form). Hopefully Carr will take this opportunity and kill it. I imagine he'll be fired up.

Swift deserves a send off, particularly since he hasn't played much this season.

FIONN CARR?!?

Swift deserves a send off, particularly since he hasn't played much this season.

No room for sentiment on Saturday even for the legend that is Michael Swift.

• Advertisement

FIONN CARR?!?

This will be only his 7th game of the season

No room for sentiment on Saturday even for the legend that is Michael Swift.

He's only on the bench in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

15. Tiernan O’Halloran
    14. Fionn Carr
    13. Robbie Henshaw
    12. Bundee Aki
    11. Matt Healy
    10. Jack Carty
    9. Kieran Marmion

1. Denis Buckley
    2. Tom McCartney
    3. Rodney Ah You
    4. Andrew Browne
    5. Aly Muldowney
    6. John Muldoon (captain)
    7. Eoghan Masterson
    8. Eoin McKeon

Replacements:

16. Dave Heffernan
    17. JP Cooney
    18. Finlay Bealham
    19. Michael Swift
    20. George Naoupu
    21. John Cooney
    22. Miah Nikora
    23. Shane O’Leary

dont expect many to agree but I would have left Cooney at nine. Hes been playing well enough to keep the jersey and I like the idea of Marmion coming on fresh with 30 mins left with enough gaps that he could have a field day.

Carr back..with Leader and Poolman out its not surprising but we need him to roll back the years.

Is Dillane injured?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Fionn's gonna crush it. Hail Glorious Fionnshine Leader.

He's only on the bench in fairness.

Ahead of Dillane who's been tearing it up in past few weeks. Beautiful inside pass to Cooney for his second try last week

• Advertisement
Advertisement