Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Another scarlets try.

Treviso took off a couple of their big players and phil john came on in the scrum for scarlets. Different game now. Looks all over for connacht unfortunately.
    Treviso have played well today in patches but then make some really poor mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

FT 17 13 to Scarlets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Cheers Connacht for denying them a bp :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

What was the Edinburgh Leinster score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

ouncer wrote: »
    What was the Edinburgh Leinster score

Leinster won by 10 or so. We've finished 7th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

d-gal wrote: »
    Leinster won by 10 or so. We've finished 7th

23-36 in the end. You're welcome. Again. :D

I'll take that. We have come a very long way. Lot of credit gained

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

molloyjh wrote: »
    23-36 in the end. You're welcome. Again. :D

Fairly compensate the games we gave to you by a very small margin (dare I say not deserved) at the RDS for the last years

Eeks, has been a few years since I was in the RDS and that day we got destroyed in all parts of the field. So let's be nice and say thanks connachta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭mjp

What time is Gloucester Match next weekend? Will it be on sky or tg4 or how will the tv rights work?

• Advertisement

Eeks, has been a few years since I was in the RDS and that day we got destroyed in all parts of the field. So let's be nice and say thanks connachta

16-13 two years ago, 13-10 this season before injury time. Not what I call destroy... But anyway, yes thank you Leinster, it's all good for you as you will stole us more experienced players now:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

mjp wrote: »
    What time is Gloucester Match next weekend? Will it be on sky or tg4 or how will the tv rights work?

3pm and either Sky or BT Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

wp_rathead wrote: »
    3pm and either Sky or BT Sports

Sunday right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I wonder is that CET not UK time?

Marmion is wrecking my head. He puts the ball in and front row heads pop up. Any logical rugby player would register that its feckin time to get that ball out fast. Not a bit of it. Kieran waits for the back row (who are obviously under crazy pressure) to gift him a pass. What is he up to. Cooney any day.

Jack was moderate today. His touch kicking was moderate, his tackling was awful. He really needs to bulk up to be a credible 10. Players just walk past him. That said his kicking at goal was excellent.

Muldowney was my motm. He carried and hit and collected at the lineouts. Simply brilliant.

Tom is consistently missing crucial tackles and if there was an alternative he wouldn't start.

Toh has made fullback his own. Has been very impressive since his return from injury.

I could understand why pat didn't put miah in. I couldn't understand why McKeon wasn't on the bench in the first place instead of miah.

So Gloucester next week. Dillane back in, cooney starts, McKeon on bench.

I do think that 14 is a worthless position as jack simply negates any use of that position with his lack of vision. So I feel sorry for fionn as I feel sorry for Danie having to live behind jack.

And that's my tuppence

Marmion is wrecking my head. He puts the ball in and front row heads pop up. Any logical rugby player would register that its feckin time to get that ball out fast. Not a bit of it. Kieran waits for the back row (who are obviously under crazy pressure) to gift him a pass. What is he up to. Cooney any day.

Jack was moderate today. His touch kicking was moderate, his tackling was awful. He really needs to bulk up to be a credible 10. Players just walk past him. That said his kicking at goal was excellent.

Muldowney was my motm. He carried and hit and collected at the lineouts. Simply brilliant.

Tom is consistently missing crucial tackles and if there was an alternative he wouldn't start.

Toh has made fullback his own. Has been very impressive since his return from injury.

I could understand why pat didn't put miah in. I couldn't understand why McKeon wasn't on the bench in the first place instead of miah.

I do think that 14 is a worthless position as jack simply negates any use of that position with his lack of vision. So I feel sorry for fionn as I feel sorry for Danie having to live behind jack.

And that's my tuppence

Infairness, both scrumhalves guilty of waiting for the No.8 to pop up to them. Drives me mental. When scrum under pressure, ya gotta get ball outa there fast..

Fully Agree with Muldowney- prob been our player of the season. We haven't missed Craig Clarke at all, which is saying something..

Agree Tom has missed tackles today and Vs Glasgow. But up until then he was playing great stuff and leading in the tackle count in most matches. I wouldn't be so hard on him

Also, I don't know if it is a tactic but what the feck is with Bundee being on the wing when we are defending? We need him in the center defending, were sliced open there today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I would probably give Cooney the start next week as well. Did anyone else read the list of players leaving. I can only assume from that, that the following will be here next season:
    Dave Heffernan
    JP Cooney
    Danny Qualter
    Shane O'Leary
    Conor Finn
    Fionn Carr

Surprised a few of them are being kept but in a world cup season I suppose there isn't much available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I would probably give Cooney the start next week as well. Did anyone else read the list of players leaving. I can only assume from that, that the following will be here next season:
    Dave Heffernan
    JP Cooney
    Danny Qualter
    Shane O'Leary
    Conor Finn
    Fionn Carr

Surprised a few of them are being kept but in a world cup season I suppose there isn't much available.
    Some of them don't know for sure theyre being kept or not. Waiting on next week or so and funds etc.
    Who would you keep/not keep of those listed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Looking back at the season we are going in the right direction. A lot of young lads got a lot of game time and will show next season-
    winning that cardiff match and more games with jake heenan and ronaldson (both unlucky with injurys) and I am sure we would be 6th and I would like I think pushing for 5th. (An extra few games won would have had more condfidence in the squad).

Some of them don't know for sure theyre being kept or not. Waiting on next week or so and funds etc.
    Who would you keep/not keep of those listed?

Would definitely keep Shane O'Leary. Maybe Heffernan. Any of the rest of them wouldn't be overly pushed, think its been proven they aren't going to help us advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Infairness, both scrumhalves guilty of waiting for the No.8 to pop up to them. Drives me mental. When scrum under pressure, ya gotta get ball outa there fast..

Fully Agree with Muldowney- prob been our player of the season. We haven't missed Craig Clarke at all, which is saying something..

Agree Tom has missed tackles today and Vs Glasgow. But up until then he was playing great stuff and leading in the tackle count in most matches. I wouldn't be so hard on him

Tom must be wrecked he must be link playing like 18 months or something, I think he was the best signing from last year.

Would definitely keep Shane O'Leary. Maybe Heffernan. Any of the rest of them wouldn't be overly pushed, think its been proven they aren't going to help us advance.
    SOL should be def kept considering his ability to play anywhere across the backline. Has played 10, centre, wing and full back this season im fairly certain at either pro12/A level. If you get rid of them you need others to help with A team and for squad places where do you get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

And that's my tuppence

You can't seriously be blaming the 10 for 14 lack of ball?! 14 doesn't stand at first receiver off 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I wonder where Shane Layden will end up. He was brilliant IIRC with the Ireland U20s. Maybe a Championship / ProD2 club? He turns 3 in September so he's still young.

Reading up that Gloucester have a huge injury list and 3 suspended players - any idea who'll be missing next week for them?

Edit: I know Kvesic is suspended and def out which is massive for us. He was the standout player when we played them last

its_phil wrote: »
    You can't seriously be blaming the 10 for 14 lack of ball?! 14 doesn't stand at first receiver off 10
    While in the past I have complained about lateral play with connacht. I have to make an exception with jack. There simply is no concept of any cohesive play. So mat is the closest player and he benefits. The wider player hasnt a hope

Reading up that Gloucester have a huge injury list and 3 suspended players - any idea who'll be missing next week for them?

Edit: I know Kvesic is suspended and def out which is massive for us. He was the standout player when we played them last

Kvesic was such a pain in the ass the last time. We've got a great chance

• Advertisement

its_phil wrote: »
    Kvesic was such a pain in the ass the last time. We've got a great chance

Afoa, burns, Palmer, Morgan and trinder were all on the injury list as well. If Afoa and Palmer are out it would give us a huge shout. There scrum went to sh*t the last time Afoa went off

Also in the case we do best Gloucester, we're going to need Sexton to do us a favour and get 6th spot ahead of Bordeaux. Should hopefully do it at home to Castres and Bordeaux at Toulouse.

What an exciting season, the permutations have been nuts

Afoa, burns, Palmer, Morgan and trinder were all on the injury list as well. If Afoa and Palmer are out it would give us a huge shout. There scrum went to sh*t the last time Afoa went off

It was in a mess with him on. Buckley gave him a tough time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I wonder where Shane Layden will end up. He was brilliant IIRC with the Ireland U20s. Maybe a Championship / ProD2 club? He turns 3 in September so he's still young.

I'd say Roscommon GAA is a more likely destination, if not right away then within the next couple of years. Unfortunately he doesn't look like a professional standard rugby player to me, most likely as a result of his injury setbacks.

I'd say Roscommon GAA is a more likely destination, if not right away then within the next couple of years. Unfortunately he doesn't look like a professional standard rugby player to me, most likely as a result of his injury setbacks.
    Well if he only turns 3 he could have a future yet :-)

SOL should be def kept considering his ability to play anywhere across the backline. Has played 10, centre, wing and full back this season im fairly certain at either pro12/A level. If you get rid of them you need others to help with A team and for squad places where do you get them?

Don't want to pick on any player in particular but there are some of them lads who have been here a few years and just unfortunately aren't good enough to make the step up and another year isn't going to help them. Would be on the look out for players coming out of under 20, in the AIL or any of the lads playing in the championship in England and see was there anyone worth taking a chance on who'd be willing to come here rather than persisting with someone who isn't up to it just to pad out the squad.

• Advertisement

He hasn't managed to make it following his injuries. Its a real pity. Thought he looked one for the future when he was playing at u20 level.

Don't want to pick on any player in particular but there are some of them lads who have been here a few years and just unfortunately aren't good enough to make the step up and another year isn't going to help them. Would be on the look out for players coming out of under 20, in the AIL or any of the lads playing in the championship in England and see was there anyone worth taking a chance on who'd be willing to come here rather than persisting with someone who isn't up to it just to pad out the squad.
    Which guys would you get rid of? What guys out of 20s would you be looking at for replacing them? If you think some of those aren't good enough who are the alternatives?

Dave Heffernan
    JP Cooney
    Danny Qualter
    Shane O'Leary
    Conor Finn
    Fionn Carr

Heff is not bad, just need to learn throwing (not a natural hooker)
    Finn's good
    O'Leary polyvalent
    Carr as player/coach maybe
    not convinced by JP and Qualter

Don't care much for the in/out argument. One thing that is very clear from recent pat lam interviews is that there is no money in the tank. So therefore we can't sign a 10 or a second row. So then we have to borrow. So once again I suggest the ross Byrne argument.

Which guys would you get rid of? What guys out of 20s would you be looking at for replacing them? If you think some of those aren't good enough who are the alternatives?

I'm not going to lie I don't know many alternatives. People who know far more about u20s, academys and AIL than me may be able to suggest some.

I'm not up to date on what non-Connacht based players may or not be available. All I am saying is we should be having a look in these areas to see is there lads with raw potential to come through and do a job for Connacht rather than just keeping on lads who we have given more than a fair crack of the whip to fill out the squad. Long term it does no-one any good. As I said in the original post I do accept that this is very difficult especially in a World Cup year.

• Advertisement

Don't care much for the in/out argument. One thing that is very clear from recent pat lam interviews is that there is no money in the tank. So therefore we can't sign a 10 or a second row. So then we have to borrow. So once again I suggest the ross Byrne argument.

I don't see Ross Byrne going anywhere. I don't think Madigan's long-term future is that secure at Leinster and I wouldn't be surprised if Byrne is second choice 10 within two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

gally74 wrote: »
    Tom must be wrecked he must be link playing like 18 months or something, I think he was the best signing from last year.
    Absolutely. He's been playing non stop.

It's not an argument, it's a non-runner because Leinster won't do it and Byrne is still in UCD

I'm not going to lie I don't know many alternatives. People who know far more about u20s, academys and AIL than me may be able to suggest some.

I'm not up to date on what non-Connacht based players may or not be available. All I am saying is we should be having a look in these areas to see is there lads with raw potential to come through and do a job for Connacht rather than just keeping on lads who we have given more than a fair crack of the whip to fill out the squad. Long term it does no-one any good. As I said in the original post I do accept that this is very difficult especially in a World Cup year.
    I know the AIL and I don't see all too many alternatives who are so much better than what's there already. The lads who are there who you named are better than the alternatives.
    Finn was on a development contract and suffered from a few injuries this season and id see him kept on.
    Carr isn't needed but would keep the rest as unless you can name alternatives than you are reducing squad size unnecessarily

Luke O'Dea? It doesn't look like Munster are keeping him on.

Luke O'Dea? It doesn't look like Munster are keeping him on.
    OK,let's all please look at this a different way. So jack is shocking. So what are his faults. His kicking for goal is as good as anybody's. He needs to improve on his touch kicking, he needs to improve on utilizing back line, he needs to beef up and take a bloody tackle. I would rather pat develop that than we sign a second rate out half

OK,let's all please look at this a different way. So jack is shocking. So what are his faults. His kicking for goal is as good as anybody's. He needs to improve on his touch kicking, he needs to improve on utilizing back line, he needs to beef up and take a bloody tackle. I would rather pat develop that than we sign a second rate out half

What's that got to do with LOD? He's a winger. :pac:

What's that got to do with LOD? He's a winger. :pac:
    Now that's a damn good point :-). Obviously looking for an opportunity to crib :-)

His kicking for goal is as good as anybody's.

Ah now come on!

Ah now come on!
    Yes. Jack has missed at times, but if I were to give a plaudit his place kicking is better than mediocre

• Advertisement
Advertisement