Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

I think Heffernan did fine in open play but his throwing was poor. One positive was Blade, looked very lively when he came in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

S12b wrote: »
    I think Heffernan did fine in open play but his throwing was poor. One positive was Blade, looked very lively when he came in!!

Could well find himself 2nd choice next season, havent seen anything from Ian Porter to suggest he's up to this level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

shuffol wrote: »
    Could well find himself 2nd choice next season, havent seen anything from Ian Porter to suggest he's up to this level.
    If an out half isn't active I question what that the replacement out half should be. Now in no sense do I blame blade but exactly what did he do over kieran who had a crap game. Easy question!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Measure of how much our discipline has improved under Lam, we won the fair play award for the league (joint with Ulster), also we own the collisons king award for most improved breakdown work

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just listening to Off the Ball earlier and they'd a guy on who said Gavin Duffy was training with the Mayo Football team.

He said Duffy stood out as he looked good!

He played in a Minor All Ireland final for Mayo when he was younger. Surprisingly for Mayo in an All Ireland Final they lost that day :P

Just looking at his Wiki page and he's not that old really, he's only 32, but he made his Connacht debut back in 01/02!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Just listening to Off the Ball earlier and they'd a guy on who said Gavin Duffy was training with the Mayo Football team.

He said Duffy stood out as he looked good!

He played in a Minor All Ireland final for Mayo when he was younger. Surprisingly for Mayo in an All Ireland Final they lost that day :P

Just looking at his Wiki page and he's not that old really, he's only 32, but he made his Connacht debut back in 01/02!

I would consider it a big shock if Duffy made it onto the panel for the Championship. I have no doubted he is/was extremely talented, but he hasn't played competitive football for a long time...... still, it would be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Brady was saying he was genuinely the stand out player in training and he can fully see him being involved in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I would consider it a big shock if Duffy made it onto the panel for the Championship. I have no doubted he is/was extremely talented, but he hasn't played competitive football for a long time...... still, it would be very interesting.

It will be a damning indictment of where the likes of Mickey Harte has brought Gaelic football if Gavin can make any inroads into their championship squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Gambas wrote: »
    It will be a damning indictment of where the likes of Mickey Harte has brought Gaelic football if Gavin can make any inroads into their championship squad.

The bloke is a very good footballer and played intercounty for Mayo up to U21 level, I believe. He was poised to be a star player with Mayo before opting for rugby. He has been very much in touch with the Mayo set up and Ballina Stephenites over the past couple of seasons.

If he's available to play and, as Brady reported, more than able to make the grade, I don't see why he shouldn't be involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Mayo GAA have officially stated he is training with the panel.
    He was also with Salthill/Knocknacarra over a few summers while with us, though I'm not sure how many games he played.
    I doubt he'll have any problem fitting in if he still has the skills - didn't cause Tadgh Kennelly any problems coming back from Aussie Rules to play with Kerry.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    The bloke is a very good footballer and played intercounty for Mayo up to U21 level, I believe. He was poised to be a star player with Mayo before opting for rugby. He has been very much in touch with the Mayo set up and Ballina Stephenites over the past couple of seasons.

If he's available to play and, as Brady reported, more than able to make the grade, I don't see why he shouldn't be involved.

Maybe I'm not making myself clear. If he's good enough then absolutely he should be involved.

The point I was trying to make is that if the unique skills required to play at the pinnacle of Gaelic football have deteriorated to the point where someone like Gavin, who hasn't played the game in well over a decade can be slot into a squad with genuine AI ambitions, it is a sorry reflection on where the game is now - less football skills and more generic physicality. Conversely, it reflects extremely well on rugby and the skillset that top level players acquire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I take it this means there are no clubs in for Duffy, and/or that he is retiring from professional rugby. It's a long time since the days of Kevin Moran, and combining gaelic football with playing professional sport is not really a runner anymore... if he was to sign for anyone it would probably be an English championship or Pro D2 side in France, and he'd be leaving Mayo high and dry (assuming he made the panel) to start pre-season training...

Zzippy wrote: »
    I take it this means there are no clubs in for Duffy, and/or that he is retiring from professional rugby. It's a long time since the days of Kevin Moran, and combining gaelic football with playing professional sport is not really a runner anymore... if he was to sign for anyone it would probably be an English championship or Pro D2 side in France, and he'd be leaving Mayo high and dry (assuming he made the panel) to start pre-season training...

hes on the record saying he doesnt want to move his family out of salthill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Maybe I'm not making myself clear. If he's good enough then absolutely he should be involved.

The point I was trying to make is that if the unique skills required to play at the pinnacle of Gaelic football have deteriorated to the point where someone like Gavin, who hasn't played the game in well over a decade can be slot into a squad with genuine AI ambitions, it is a sorry reflection on where the game is now - less football skills and more generic physicality. Conversely, it reflects extremely well on rugby and the skillset that top level players acquire.

Like catching and kicking? The key skills for a full back.

Neither the catch nor the kick is similar. Unless we consider a garryowen to be the biggest solo in the world?:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not that surprised that he's been able to go back to GAA. If he was a Minor All Ireland finalist he has the ability so I'm sure he's been a keen fan so would be familiar with tactics and all that plus he's fitness levels would be excellent already so it's just a case of getting back into the swing of it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Believe there were offers from Grenoble, Biarritz, London Irish and Gloucester but doesn't want to move his family out of Salthill/Knocknacarra.

I'm not that surprised that he's been able to go back to GAA. If he was a Minor All Ireland finalist he has the ability

There are approx 20 Mayo U21's every year. Out of his cohort, only one is now on the Mayo panel. Like any sport, making an underage team rarely means that you have what it takes. (There are no plans for a sequel to the Class of 1992 called the Class of 1993 for example...).
    so I'm sure he's been a keen fan so would be familiar with tactics and all that plus he's fitness levels would be excellent already so it's just a case of getting back into the swing of it really.

This is what he has to offer. Not that he knows the tactic now, but that he is used to playing a very disciplined, structured game, under intense pressure and he comes with excellent physical fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

He's a very good footballer. Dunno why it's a big deal that he might be one of the best players in Mayo and is already in fairly decent condition pre-Championship.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

According to the Pro12 stattos, Fionn Carr is statistically the best winger in the league, but we all know this. Most handsome too.

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    According to the Pro12 stattos, Fionn Carr is statistically the best winger in the league, but we all know this. Most handsome too.

Fionn has had a decent strike rate again this season vs the amount of time he spent on the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He's a very good footballer. Dunno why it's a big deal that he might be one of the best players in Mayo and is already in fairly decent condition pre-Championship.

I would be very very surprised, shocked in fact if he turned out to be one of the best players in Mayo as this stage.

I remember Kevin O'Neill came back to play for Mayo after a long absence from intercounty football and was quite good. But he had been playing club football up in Dublin the entire time in between.

Eric Miller was on Off the Ball talking about this tonight. They've a listen back function on their website and he was on at about 8.40 or 8.45 to 9.

I was just cycling out past the far side of Greystones though so I don't know what he was said as I was losing my signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Season ticket renewed.

I should of asked here did anyone wanr a new one to get a discount. But I thought against it

Same here, renewed and forgot to ask.

If anyone who doesn't have a ST is considering getting one, perhaps worthwhile putting a post up here so any ST holders who are renewing can get you, and themselves, a 10% discount.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Same here, renewed and forgot to ask.

If anyone who doesn't have a ST is considering getting one, perhaps worthwhile putting a post up here so any ST holders who are renewing can get you, and themselves, a 10% discount.
    I will be renewing, but not for a couple of weeks yet so if anyone wants to throw me their 10% when the time comes, there's a couple of pints in the Clan Bar in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

feck sake - just renewed - price went up to €230 at 5pm.
    Kinda bad form --- gave loads of notice that today was the last day to renew,but only got email today that the cut off was 5pm.....so got home from from work (as I'm no access to this info at work), and was hit for €230 just after 5pm :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

the unique skills required to play at the pinnacle of Gaelic football.
    Those skills aren't unique, it's not like he is playing hurling. Can he kick a ball? Yes. Can he catch a ball? Yes. Can he tackle a man to the ground? Based on his form for Connacht no but it's not as difficult to tackle in GAA.
    Neither the catch nor the kick is similar.
    Indeed, they are both much easier in GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

The modern game of gaa is not catching and kicking. Its possession and highly based on fitness. The same can be said for the modern game of rugby. The fact that Gavin struggled to make the transition in rugby would make me think he may struggle likewise with modern gaa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

ouncer wrote: »
    The modern game of gaa is not catching and kicking. Its possession and highly based on fitness. The same can be said for the modern game of rugby. The fact that Gavin struggled to make the transition in rugby would make me think he may struggle likewise with modern gaa.

I'm baffled now. :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

evil_seed wrote: »
    I'm baffled now. :confused::confused::confused:

As in the transition from pre-ELV rugby to modern rugby, I think he meant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

As in the transition from pre-ELV rugby to modern rugby, I think he meant

I assumed the transition to playing as over 30 when you are no longer able to be fitter than everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

Peter Browne, 26 London Welsh IQ by his father had a great game in the semi final 2nd leg against Leeds. He plays 6/8 and even 5, just perfect to enlist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Looks like the IRFU has allocated over a million euro of additional funding for Connacht next year with the majority of it earmarked for strength and conditioning facilities.

http://www.thescore.ie/connacht-funding-bunce-fitness-1473040-May2014/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bazzo wrote: »
    Looks like the IRFU has allocated over a million euro of additional funding for Connacht next year with the majority of it earmarked for strength and conditioning facilities.

And hopefully a decent defence coach.

• Advertisement

In the last couple of years Leinster and Ulster have gotten new gyms, Munster got access to CIT's gym and I think there's an upgrade or new training facility for UL so it's only Connacht who need an upgrade on the gym.

From watching The West is Awake documentary the gym was a bit small, the lads are stepping over each alot and the equipment didn't seem too fancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

In the last couple of years Leinster and Ulster have gotten new gyms, Munster got access to CIT's gym and I think there's an upgrade or new training facility for UL so it's only Connacht who need an upgrade on the gym.

From watching The West is Awake documentary the gym was a bit small, the lads are stepping over each alot and the equipment didn't seem too fancy.
    Munster still have access to CIT and there is a new facility going into UL as current elite gym etc is not big enough for the full squad.
    Connacht Gym is small but where to expand it? Not really enough room for expansion in Sportsground and would they look elsewhere.

I dunno where they could expand it but in comparison to the other provinces gyms they're way behind from what I could see in that doc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Bazzo wrote: »

In the comments section of this article, somebody mentioned that there is word that a "world-class outhalf" could be on the way. Any idea who/how likely, if at all?

In Carty, Nikora, and Ronaldson I would have thought the out half ticket is fairly full already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

In Carty, Nikora, and Ronaldson I would have thought the out half ticket is fairly full already.
    Same, 4 outhalves would be a bit much really. No point sticking Carty in with the Eagles again, he deserves more game time in the Rabo. Nikora is fairly reliable but lacks kicking range. Ronaldson would probably be grand if he sorted out his obvious confidence issues. Maybe Carty would develop better decision-making with Muliaina in the camp and grow into the first-choice 10 role. Anyway, a defence coach is the main signing to be worrying about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    In the comments section of this article, somebody mentioned that there is word that a "world-class outhalf" could be on the way. Any idea who/how likely, if at all?

The article specifically mentions that the additional funding is for uses other than signings and that the budget for players is to remain static so I wouldn't think there's any plans to sign an outhalf at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

How does this "extra"million from the irfu compare to the shortfall of missing out on the additional revenue from missing out on the Heineken cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

On the gym, all the equipment is fine. It's down the how it's used ie the S&C coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

evil_seed wrote: »
    On the gym, all the equipment is fine. It's down the how it's used ie the S&C coach.

I couldn't agree with this more. A big fancy gym is lovely but it would cost a lot more than 1 million and is a long way down the list of priorities for Connacht.

Hopefully the money goes towards top quality coaches (I know nothing about the guy just appointed) and physios. Ultimately, basic equipment is all a gym needs and they have all of that but it takes quality staff to get the most of the facility for the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I always thought that we had a "state of the art gym" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

S12b wrote: »
    I couldn't agree with this more. A big fancy gym is lovely but it would cost a lot more than 1 million and is a long way down the list of priorities for Connacht.

Hopefully the money goes towards top quality coaches (I know nothing about the guy just appointed) and physios. Ultimately, basic equipment is all a gym needs and they have all of that but it takes quality staff to get the most of the facility for the players.

Would it cost a lot more than 1 million? If you look at Ulster's or Leinster's gym, I wouldn't have thought either would be more than 1 million. I wouldn't say basic equipment is all that's needed either. If you look at a piece of kit like the Alter G, it can speed up the recovery process for players and help prevent injuries etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Open to correction, but I thought I saw a planning application for an extension to the sports complex at the Sportsgrounds.

Could be something to do with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Taken from a Connacht Clan post:
    Sea_Point wrote:
    With the announcment of additional funding coming from the IRFU for the season ahead, thought I'd look see what additional planning applications have been submitted in the course of the last couple of months by the Branch....

www.galwaycity.ie/allservices/planning/onlineplanningenquirysystem/

02/04/2014 - File Number: 1493 - Permission for a ground floor extension to the existing Sports Pavilion Administration facility [Basic Docs at the moment]
    21/03/2014 - File Number: FS4914 - Extension & material alterations to existing sports pavilion
    21/03/2014 - File Number: FS5014 - Conversion of roof space to camera/commentary room

Only seven players across the RaboDirect PRO12 competition played in all 22 rounds in the 2013/14 season and Connacht’s Kieran Marmion, Dan Parks and Rodney Ah You were amongst them.

The trio featured in all 28 games, including 6 Heineken Cup fixtures, for the province.

I think Marmion started 27 games IIRC. Pretty sure he started every single game last season. That's some record, and to stay injury-free for 2 seasons is fairly unusual.

• Advertisement
Advertisement