Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Just a pity that you have to defend in rugby as well!!

The irritating thing was we used ot be one of the best team in defence, in terms of tries at least. We used to be the toughest bottom 6 team to get a TBP against and have flipped that completely lately

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Yeah a bit unusual in that a new coach usually tightens his defence before working on the attacking but if you can score tries you will always have a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 24 maxfly

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Yeah a bit unusual in that a new coach usually tightens his defence before working on the attacking but if you can score tries you will always have a chance
    Equally if you play recklessly there is always the possibility of losing a match!

The total rugby approach is great to watch at times, but against superior opposition that will punish mistakes, you have to be near inch perfect. We don't have players for this game and the sooner Pat Lam employs a more pragmatic approach to his rugby philosophy the better. There are very few if any other coaches in world rugby that attempt to run everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

For me I think Connacht punch far above their weight in terms of attack. Some of the attacking rugby against Munster was class, and why wouldn't it be, you've got lads like Poolman, Marmion, Henshaw, Healy and McSharry, none of these guys would look out of place in any of the other provinces. The issue for me is the defensive systems. The first Munster try was an absolutely schoolboy error, but every team coughs up one like that from time to time. The problem was as the game went on the defence became loser. I don't like to bring up the Sarries game but it can't be ignored either - the defence was so porous, there's obviously an attitude thing there but as a player you would also want to have faith in the systems. Do Connacht have a dedicated defence coach?

.ak wrote: »
    For me I think Connacht punch far above their weight in terms of attack. Some of the attacking rugby against Munster was class, and why wouldn't it be, you've got lads like Poolman, Henshaw, Healy and McSharry, none of these guys would look out of place in any of the other provinces. The issue for me is the defensive systems. The first Munster try was an absolutely schoolboy error, but every team coughs up one like that from time to time. The problem was as the game went on the defence became loser. Do Connacht have a dedicated defence coach?

Nope, biggest problem we've had all season. Need to be our next signing

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Do Connacht have a dedicated defence coach?
    The only time we ever did was when Mike Forshaw was around so between 2010/11 and 2012/13 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Robbo wrote: »
    The only time we ever did was when Mike Forshaw was around so between 2010/11 and 2012/13 seasons.

And we became pretty stingy defensively as a result.

But our attack was blunt

So we've basically robbed Peter to pay Paul

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

And we became pretty stingy defensively as a result.

But our attack was blunt

So we've basically robbed Peter to pay Paul
    Such is our lot in life. The lord giveth and the lord taketh away.

One positive thing from the Munster match was Brett Wilkinson's involvement on the sidelines, videoing the hell out of the scrums. If he hangs around, I can see him becoming one of the wise scrummaging shamans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

What is Dave McSharry's contract status??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

S12b wrote: »
    It's not actually Leader's positioning that poor, it's your understanding of the game. For the first try, he was 30 yards away in the defensive line marking his opposite number, as he should be. If you must blame someone for the try, it was Faloon who was at fault.

Thanks for that :-) . full back covers a wide area, not only tracking his opposite, or at least I hope he does or maybe you are totally correct and I know nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

ouncer wrote: »
    I know nothing

QFT :D;)

Thanks for that :-) . full back covers a wide area, not only tracking his opposite, or at least I hope he does or maybe you are totally correct and I know nothing
    Im played as a fron row so my knowledge of this is skethcy but form I gather an fb marks space rather than men. In the first try Connacht should have had enough men to cover that area with Faloon, McKeon, marmion and Nikora. You attempting to blame leader for that was ridiculous

S12b wrote: »
    What is Dave McSharry's contract status??

Contracted for another season, concidentally his last contract announcement is one my most thanks posted :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83783023&postcount=6002

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

One of the YM posters on MFs just posted that Shane O Leary is joining Connacht from Grenoble.
    Good move for him and Connacht. Can play 10/12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

freyners wrote: »
    Im played as a fron row so my knowledge of this is skethcy but form I gather an fb marks space rather than men. In the first try Connacht should have had enough men to cover that area with Faloon, McKeon, marmion and Nikora. You attempting to blame leader for that was ridiculous

Indeed, that try was a simple inside ball to a winger and he ran through a hole 5 yards off a scrum untouched.....Faloon's lack of match practice was badly shown up as he blindly chased after the ball and never saw Conway coming on the reverse who then went past him like he wasn't there. Let's also not forgot why they had that scrum, Poolman and Faloon got in each other's way and knocked it on......but ya it was obviously "insert current young player I have taken an irrational dislike to's" fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

One of the YM posters on MFs just posted that Shane O Leary is joining Connacht from Grenoble.
    Good move for him and Connacht. Can play 10/12.

Can't find much of him from work but he also started one of his recent games for Grenoble at 13 and seems to have originally been a scrum half. Utility back?

It appears he's played U-20 for Canada. Does this make him NIQ or being Canadian, can they just apologise politely and everything's OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

It appears he's played U-20 for Canada. Does this make him NIQ or being Canadian, can they just apologise politely and everything's OK?

I don't think it makes him NIQ Heenan played U-20 for NZ and he's a project player. So depending on family heritage he's either In or project, I'm a little afraid of using this word in case the thread descends into a land slide of posts about the morality of foreigners potentially playing for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

b.gud wrote: »
    I don't think it makes him NIQ Heenan played U-20 for NZ and he's a project player. So depending on family heritage he's either In or project, I'm a little afraid of using this word in case the thread descends into a land slide of posts about the morality of foreigners potentially playing for Ireland

Its not quite as simple as that. It depends on whether Canada have designated the u20s as their 2nd team.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

They don't, I'm pretty sure. I saw an interview with him (post-JWC) where he said he hasn't declared for Canada but would be open to the offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

Its not quite as simple as that. It depends on whether Canada have designated the u20s as their 2nd team.

You are correct sir that is a possibility I forgot to think of

b.gud wrote: »
    I just have visions of the Jarvis/Loxton situation from a couple of years ago.

It depends on whether or not their u20 team is their official 2nd team.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Good young lad to have, saw him playing AIL last season and was standout against Tarf and Garryowen. Scored a belter in both from 10. He'd cover 10 to 13 and Fullback. 21 year old so loads to develop. The stint in France would have done him great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Sounds like a great signing. What would that mean for Ronaldson? Think he has another year, Carty just got a one year deal, Parks will go, Nikora has one more year as well.

All very short term deals for a very important position.

Is it just my lack of sleep this week confusing me or is the Jamie dever announced for the Conn junior team ex-academy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Is it just my lack of sleep this week confusing me or is the Jamie dever announced for the Conn junior team ex-academy?

If he's playing prop it probably is. He took the year out with an injury and rehabbed in America I believe

its_phil wrote: »
    If he's playing prop it probably is. He took the year out with an injury and rehabbed in America I believe

Yup LH for westport it says. Interesting to see how he does

Bazzo wrote: »
    Can't find much of him from work but he also started one of his recent games for Grenoble at 13 and seems to have originally been a scrum half. Utility back?
    Utility back. Was originally SH/OH but moved towards centres. will be centre only nowaday
    He is irish, played Canada u20s as his mother is Canadian and he wasn't getting look in here. He isn't NIQ
    Yes. Same player. Watched a good bit of the juniors training in Sportsground last night. Squad Not as strong as previous years IMO

As you describe it is exactly how I see the fullback position. Have already taken a backward step on my comments about leader and have agreed that defence coach would help based on your past comments that made more sense than mine

• Advertisement

Utility back. Was originally SH/OH but moved towards centres. will be centre only nowaday
    He is irish, played Canada u20s as his mother is Canadian and he wasn't getting look in here. He isn't NIQ
    Yes. Same player. Watched a good bit of the juniors training in Sportsground last night. Squad Not as strong as previous years IMO

where are the major weakness do you reckon, my memory isnt the best at the moment (exams ftw) but sutrely there are a fair number of players from last years squad there

As you describe it is exactly how I see the fullback position. Have already taken a backward step on my comments about leader and have agreed that defence coach would help based on your past comments that made more sense than mine

Takes a big man to say that, fair play

Takes a big man to say that, fair play

Not really freyners :-) . have two teenager kids. If you don't step down and muffle your opinion with them you could be in a spot of bother:-) so I understand when to say I'm wrong. My wish would to see toh flourish at full back as he did at u20 with Ireland. I take the point that leader would be equally good. The guidance would seem to be the issue

where are the major weakness do you reckon, my memory isnt the best at the moment (exams ftw) but sutrely there are a fair number of players from last years squad there
    Not sure as don't really have a base to go on but watching them train Thursday they didn't look up to much.
    They got well beaten by Ulster today 62-6 and Leinster beat Munster 13-8. A few friends were involved reffing or as touch judge in each game so I should know more tomorrow/Monday on the games

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

Swifty dipping into the fountain of youth for another year. Some man!

hermano wrote: »
    Swifty dipping into the fountain of youth for another year. Some man!
    hmmmmm with Clarke (hopefully), Muldowney, Kearney and Browne I wonder if its needed, altho hes still some man for big tackles

hmmmmm with Clarke (hopefully), Muldowney, Kearney and Browne I wonder if its needed, altho hes still some man for big tackles

Its probably a back up in case he has to retire. Whats the latest on him? Is he due to have the scan soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Also, seeing as it hasn't been posted here yet:

Academy Forward and Connacht U20 Player of the Year Sean O'Brien has been named captain of the Ireland U20 squad for this year's IRB Junior World Championship in New Zealand in June.

Connacht U19 Player of the Year Rory Moloney and Ciaran Gaffney have also been named in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Haven't seen this mentioned before:

Connacht potentially looking at signing All Black and Chiefs fullback Mils Muliaina

http://www.thescore.ie/mils-muliaina-connacht-rugby-1438599-Apr2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

It has been floating around for a while............. think that he is injured though

Wow, that'd be some signing, I don't care what age he is.

Wow, that'd be some signing, I don't care what age he is.

I would be concerned about signing him, injury risk, high salary and we desperately need reinforcements elsewhere, particularly a defence coach plus 9 to compete with Kieran and a 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

We've signed a 9 from Ulster no? We were at least linked with one. Can't remember a name. We don't need Mils, we need a defence coach as a priority IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

evil_seed wrote: »
    We've signed a 9 from Ulster no? We were at least linked with one. Can't remember a name. We don't need Mils, we need a defence coach as a priority IMO

Porter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Muliaina would be a very good signing in an area where Connacht could do with a better calibre of player, but in saying that I think the focus has to be on out-half. I would imagine Muliaina would cost a fair amount, and that's money that would be better spent at 10.

I see rumours than Chris Noakes is gonna sign for London Irish. I think he would have been a useful signing for Connacht.

Without Heineken Cup next year they're probably looking for a big name to get the crowds in. Priority should be an outhalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Who are Connachts 10s next season? Nikora, Ronaldson, Jack Carty, Shane O Leary, McKeon, Parks (?). 5/6 is there a need for another 10? Give their backing to Carty or Ronaldson

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I wouldn't be too keen on Muliaina. He's been playing in Japan for a couple of seasons, this is his first back in SuperXV, and by the time he sets foot in Ireland he'll be 34.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭cp

Brian O'Driscoll is 35. Anyone who thinks a 100 cap All Black wouldn't bring something to Connacht, even for one year, needs their head examined. As a statement alone, it would say something. And he's unlikely to cost as much as people think, given he's out of contract at the Chiefs AFAIK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement