Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

So.... BOD for Henshaw? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Who are Connachts 10s next season? Nikora, Ronaldson, Jack Carty, Shane O Leary, McKeon, Parks (?). 5/6 is there a need for another 10? Give their backing to Carty or Ronaldson

Parks wants a contract but there has been no move to give him one publically yet, unlike swifty which was rumoured last Jan.
    Brian O'Driscoll is 35. Anyone who thinks a 100 cap All Black wouldn't bring something to Connacht, even for one year, needs their head examined. As a statement alone, it would say something. And he's unlikely to cost as much as people think, given he's out of contract at the Chiefs AFAIK.
    Noones doubting what he could bring, whether it would be an efficient allocation of resources is another considering the problems on the field elsewhere

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

cp wrote: »
    Brian O'Driscoll is 35. Anyone who thinks a 100 cap All Black wouldn't bring something to Connacht, even for one year, needs their head examined. As a statement alone, it would say something. And he's unlikely to cost as much as people think, given he's out of contract at the Chiefs AFAIK.

It's a big unknown as to what level Muliaina can play at as he's been in Japan and only played a couple of games for the Chiefs since.

He could work out to be a great signing but we just don't know what his standard is at the moment.

One thing that will stand to him is that he grew up in Invercargill so the Galway weather won't be completely alien to him!

.ak wrote: »
    So.... BOD for Henshaw? :D

Get out:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭BazPM

Some incredible signings for Connacht done and rumoured. I never thought I'd say this but as a Leinster fan I'm very jealous

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭cp

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's a big unknown as to what level Muliaina can play at as he's been in Japan and only played a couple of games for the Chiefs since.

He could work out to be a great signing but we just don't know what his standard is at the moment.

One thing that will stand to him is that he grew up in Invercargill so the Galway weather won't be completely alien to him!

Fair enough, but you look at what someone like Sivivatu is still doing in the Top 14 (admittedly 2 years younger) and I still think Mils sould have an impact, especially with the fans. Maybe he could double as defense coach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

BazPM wrote: »
    Some incredible signings for Connacht done and rumoured. I never thought I'd say this but as a Leinster fan I'm very jealous

I was jealous of Craig Clarke, but the reality is all the names in the world don't mean anything unless Connacht can sort out their defence and get a decent playmaker.

.ak wrote: »
    I was jealous of Craig Clarke, but the reality is all the names in the world don't mean anything unless Connacht can sort out their defence and get a decent playmaker.

Playmaker is a lesser priority IMO, defence needs sorting. We are playing some tasty rugby in attack with what we have currently

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

cp wrote: »
    Fair enough, but you look at what someone like Sivivatu is still doing in the Top 14 (admittedly 2 years younger) and I still think Mils sould have an impact, especially with the fans. Maybe he could double as defense coach?

He could well do it's just for me I don't know what he's like at the moment.

Sivivatu pretty much came straight from the All Blacks to Clermont, granted he didn't go to RWC11 but did play SuperXV the year before he moved.

Mulianina on the other hand hasn't been an All Black since RWC11 and he himself hasn't spoke too highly of the competitive nature of Japanese rugby (I think he said something along the lines of he missed the competitiveness of playing in NZ or something).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Mulianina on the other hand hasn't been an All Black since RWC11 and he himself hasn't spoke too highly of the competitive nature of Japanese rugby (I think he said something along the lines of he missed the competitiveness of playing in NZ or something).

Didn't do Brad Thorn any harm...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Lads, just a reminder to any season ticket holders who haven't claimed their free ticket to a Pro12 game, last chance is this weekend. Ring the office and they'll put it on the gate.

Always nice to have a good crowd in for the last home game of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

Robbo wrote: »
    Lads, just a reminder to any season ticket holders who haven't claimed their free ticket to a Pro12 game, last chance is this weekend. Ring the office and they'll put it on the gate.

Always nice to have a good crowd in for the last home game of the season.

Can anyone give me a quick reminder how to do this, just call the branch or do I need to email a particular address etc?

Didn't do Brad Thorn any harm...

That's true but you could argue he's the exception to the rule.

Mils could work out to be a great signing but no matter what happens he'll be a bit of an unknown when/if he shows up in Galway in July.

testtech05 wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a quick reminder how to do this, just call the branch or do I need to email a particular address etc?

last time i emailed eoin@cbirfu.com to claim them and they send it to your home address

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I just rang, gave my details and they'll have the ticket on the gate for me on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

Robbo wrote: »
    I just rang, gave my details and they'll have the ticket on the gate for me on Saturday.

Thanks Robbo, thats great gonna do that 1st thing. Does anyone remember was it 1 or 2 tickets that were being offered? Dont want to arrive with an extra friend and no ticket for him!! :)

Thanks Robbo, thats great gonna do that 1st thing. Does anyone remember was it 1 or 2 tickets that were being offered? Dont want to arrive with an extra friend and no ticket for him!! :)
    Not sure. I'm looking back over my old emails and I'm none the wiser.

I know in previous seasons it was a pair of tickets...

Just looking at the Season tickets and wondering if anyone can help me

Adult 256e
    Enclosed 301e

and then Pavillion Membership available too.

I take it that the Adult 256e is for the Bohermore and College Terrace's with the Enclosed for the Main Stand and Connacht Clan terrace.

Is this right?

Also what's the Pavillion membership about?

Edit: Just saw if you scroll down there's info on the Pavillion membership!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-confirm-outgoing-players/#ConnachtNews

Outgoing players confirmed...
    Connacht Rugby can confirm that the following players will finish with the province at the end of the current season: Gavin Duffy, Frank Murphy, Dan Parks, Paul O’Donohoe, Aaron Conneely, Brian Murphy, Dave Nolan and James Rael.

Dunno if I've missed any news lately, how are things standing with Craig Clarke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

i wonder have Connacht looked at Andrew Goodman 10/12 from Leinster? He seemed decent could potentially play 10?

Treadhead wrote:

Dunno if I've missed any news lately, how are things standing with Craig Clarke?

had scans lately to see how he is progressing, hopefully will be back soonm

Connacht Rugby can confirm that the following players will finish with the province at the end of the current season: Gavin Duffy, Frank Murphy, Dan Parks, Paul O’Donohoe, Aaron Conneely, Brian Murphy, Dave Nolan and James Rael.
    MY POV
    Both Murphys, Nolan and Rael were all fully expected. Pity Frank had such poor showings lately as he was a useful player earlier in his career.

Did not expect POD to be leaving, never going to make it past bench but was a decent option to have after Marmion and apparently Porter, Blade must be impressing.

Ditto Parks, could have seen him getting a pay for play contract but if he's coaching probably best to start now

Gav was poor this season but was a hero for us for so long, really should have got more caps in his career. Deserves a send off next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

freyners wrote: »
    MY POV
    Both Murphys, Nolan and Rael were all fully expected. Pity Frank had such poor showings lately as he was a useful player earlier in his career.

Did not expect POD to be leaving, never going to make it past bench but was a decent option to have after Marmion and apparently Porter, Blade must be impressing.

Ditto Parks, could have seen him getting a pay for play contract but if he's coaching probably best to start now

Gav was poor this season but was a hero for us for so long, really should have got more caps in his career. Deserves a send off next weekend

Could Duffy and Parks be kept on as coaches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

I hope not

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

I hope not

Kicking coach?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 BaBaraccus

Shame Nolan and Connelly were unable to make the grade.. Connacht need to maximizing the talent produced by their clubs/schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Kicking coach?

Not exactly coaching material afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

I can't comment on Parks but Duffy has coached at Wegians and wouldn't be up to the standard of professional coaching.

It's a shame to see Aaron Conneely being let go, a homegrown talent who represented his country all the way up through the underage grades but it doesn't seem to have happened for him at pro level!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

S12b wrote: »
    I can't comment on Parks but Duffy has coached at Wegians and wouldn't be up to the standard of professional coaching.

It's a shame to see Aaron Conneely being let go, a homegrown talent who represented his country all the way up through the underage grades but it doesn't seem to have happened for him at pro level!

+1 On that. Really thought he was going to be a top dog.

+1 On that. Really thought he was going to be a top dog.

Its sad to see local talent fizz out so quickly but realistically with faloon and heenan in his favoured position he was never going to become a top dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Conneely is still a good player, it may just be a case of how good and what level.

Rugby history is littered with stories of lads going away and still achieving great things (James Downey?). Personally, I really hope that he is one of them and uses the decision as inspiration to go and prove people wrong !

Stanza2 wrote: »
    Conneely is still a good player, it may just be a case of how good and what level.

Rugby history is littered with stories of lads going away and still achieving great things (James Downey?). Personally, I really hope that he is one of them and uses the decision as inspiration to go and prove people wrong !

Certainyl if he wants it bad enough he has options, look at lads like JHW in our current squad

Shane O'Leary and Ian Porter signings are confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Do we know much about these two?

O'Leary seems to cover 10/12/13.....any chance he would be a first choice 10?? Or are we still in the market for a quality 10??

What about Porter? It doesn't strike me as a marvellous signing....surely he can't be much better than POD. Hopefully I'm wrong though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

O'Leary seems to cover 10/12/13.....any chance he would be a first choice 10?? Or are we still in the market for a quality 10??

What about Porter? It doesn't strike me as a marvellous signing....surely he can't be much better than POD. Hopefully I'm wrong though!!

POD is retiring due to injury Porter is taking his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

SOL covers 10/12/13 but doubt ye will be seeing him as first choice 10. I always thought he was better in the centre than 10. If ye could get a 10 I imagine ye will but don't ye now have 3/4 young guys who can cover 10, Ronaldson, Carty, SOL as well as Nikora

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Porter is there as back up 9 with Blade being promoted, and Walsh to be used if needed.

O'Leary I am fair sure will be seen as 13 cover. With us having no other 13 and it being where he has played a fair, if not the majority of his last few appearances..

And at 12 we have McShaz, Aki and Finn. And at 10 we have Nikora, Ronaldson and Carty. And rumours of Landsdowne's Conor McKeon also coming.

Porter is there as back up 9 with Blade being promoted, and Walsh to be used if needed.

O'Leary I am fair sure will be seen as 13 cover. With us having no other 13 and it being where he has played a fair, if not the majority of his last few appearances..

And at 12 we have McShaz, Aki and Finn. And at 10 we have Nikora, Ronaldson and Carty. And rumours of Landsdowne's Conor McKeon also coming.

Finn has togged at 13 over 12 in his last few appearances for the eagles so he does have the ability to play there, still a twelve primarily though. Parata in the academy seems to be coming good as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I thought that Walsh is being let go by the Academy and understand that Conor McKeon is coming into the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

POD is retiring due to injury Porter is taking his place.

I hadn't heard this. Hard luck to the fella, he always gave his best in a Connacht shirt. What injury is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

macslash wrote: »
    I hadn't heard this. Hard luck to the fella, he always gave his best in a Connacht shirt. What injury is it?

Something in the back I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Lam must put a lot of faith in Nikora. I was really impressed with Carty the little he played and Ronaldson until his kicking got spooked then injured. So What would we need in the 10 position between the three of them. I am worried about "leaders" next season from 9 out the lads will really need to step up. our pack still have Muldoon, Swifty, Clarke (if available), Harris Wright, and White up front but with Griffin leaving and McSharry injury prone, Henshaw and Marmion will need to fill the gap left by Parks departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

I was very impressed by what I saw of Carty. Hopefully he can get some more games next year & keep improving.

I would have thought Nikora would probably be the starter next year, with Ronaldson backing up. Although that may change depending on who has the better start to the season.

Both are good players and 10 is a position that's hard to judge unless the player is regularly playing. Consistent game time with the same group around you is crucial for building comfort & confidence, both for the 10 & for the other players in the team who need to adapt to that 10's style of play & decision making.

Whoever they ultimately go with, I hope that they give them their full backing & don't constantly flip-flop between 2-3 options. That can work for several positions on the park, but I've never seen it being a positive thing for a 10

Beery Eyed wrote: »
    I was very impressed by what I saw of Carty. Hopefully he can get some more games next year & keep improving.

I would have thought Nikora would probably be the starter next year, with Ronaldson backing up. Although that may change depending on who has the better start to the season.

Both are good players and 10 is a position that's hard to judge unless the player is regularly playing. Consistent game time with the same group around you is crucial for building comfort & confidence, both for the 10 & for the other players in the team who need to adapt to that 10's style of play & decision making.

Whoever they ultimately go with, I hope that they give them their full backing & don't constantly flip-flop between 2-3 options. That can work for several positions on the park, but I've never seen it being a positive thing for a 10
    Besides his kicking yips Ronaldson has been impressive in the 10 slot, with both O'Leary and Porter signed you could pair either of them with him as a fall back, not to mention leader at 15.

Carty has also been impressive, decision making isn't as good as Nikora's or Ronaldson's yet but with time that will pick up. His kicking range need lengthening, when he has gone for distance his impressive accuracy deserts him.

Nikora, to quote ouncer here, is a dependable outhalf, you know what your going to get with him. His kicking the last day impressed me, really had an extra 5m that hasnt been there historically.

We actually have some decent 10's for next season, but there is noone to take the game by the scruff of the neck yet, 1 of the two newer lads could definitely get there though with time

Team v cardiff

15. Darragh Leader
    14. Danie Poolman
    13. Robbie Henshaw
    12. Eoin Griffin
    11. Matt Healy
    10. Miah Nikora
    9. Kieran Marmion

1. Ronan Loughney
    2. Jason Harris-Wright
    3. Rodney Ah You
    4. Aly Muldowney
    5. Mick Kearney
    6. John Muldoon (captain)
    7. Willie Faloon
    8. Eoin McKeon

Replacements:

16. Dave Heffernan
    17. Denis Buckley
    18. Finlay Bealham
    19. Michael Swift
    20. Andrew Browne
    21. Frank Murphy
    22. Dan Parks
    23. Gavin Duffy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I think Nikora is the best out half of those 3. I always think he's a very skilful player and he's a very accurate goal kicker albeit seems to really struggle for distance at times but if Leader is playing he can hit those ones. He's not the best defender on earth but at the same time he's definitley an improvement on Parks in that regard.

Carty is number two I'd imagine, decent player, be interesting to see how he develops. Ronaldson is solid but if he can't kick then he shouldn't even come into the reckoning as a number 10 in my opinion. Putting the ball between the posts is the most important job on the pitch and since we don't have anyone else that can do it, our out half must be a solid kicker.

This game is the last hurrah for quiet a few of these guys, the 3 backs on the bench and Griffin anyway. Obviously it's a pity to be losing Griffin who's a real solid player but it's the right call in regard to letting the other 3 leave (that's assuming they wanted to stay on). Parks has been the best of the 3 this season but he's been in decline compared with last year and had trouble with the boot at times which has always been his main asset. This is a bit harsh I know but Murphy has been dreadful any time he's featured this season and I hope it's not an indictment on our acadmey srum halves that none of them could get ahead of him in POD's absence. For Gav it's been sort of a pity how this year has turned out, he seemed to go from being a very solid and consistent performer for us to being something of a liability in a very short period of time. What a servant to the cause though, great player for us for so many years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Just to confirm do ST holders get two complimentary tickets this season? I saw some post's on here mentioning that we did but I don't remember seeing anything about free match tickets in the letter I got with the ST.

Redo91 wrote: »
    Just to confirm do ST holders get two complimentary tickets this season? I saw some post's on here mentioning that we did but I don't remember seeing anything about free match tickets in the letter I got with the ST.

Its true Get in contact with the branch and they should be at the gate for you tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Just listening to the Last Word and they are still talking up the Henshaw move to Leinster. I don't think the media will let this rest for the next 2 years!!

• Advertisement

Donal Lenihan is such a hypocrite. In his words Connacht should take in the young upcoming players and bring them on (this is in regards to our new hooker). Yet the other 3 provinces need imports to be competitive

Ggggggrrrrrrrrrr

Advertisement