Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent relief

Options
  • 30-03-2014 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can new tenants claim rent relief ?

To note, I don't think my landlord has registered with PRTB.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gastons

AFAIK you cannot get relief if they are not registered. As you will need details from the landlord to apply for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You have to have been renting privately for six months before claiming RA. The fact the landlord is not registered with the PRTB is nothing to do with that.

Depending on where you live, you also have to be assessed as being in need of social housing by the Local Authority.

Details here.

EDIT: With the new forms, the LL has to supply his PPS, and other personal financial details. So if he isn't tax compliant, he might not like the fact you'll be claiming RA...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

You can claim relief without your landlords knowledge (I did it for years when I was renting in Kilkenny and Dublin), however, you must have been renting since December 2010.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tax_relief_for_tenants.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I can fully pay for my rent, but I don't mind claiming some rent tax credit of some sort. I hope this is what this is.

gastons wrote: »
    AFAIK you cannot get relief if they are not registered. As you will need details from the landlord to apply for it.
    You have to have been renting privately for six months before claiming RA. The fact the landlord is not registered with the PRTB is nothing to do with that.

Depending on where you live, you also have to be assessed as being in need of social housing by the Local Authority.

Details here.

EDIT: With the new forms, the LL has to supply his PPS, and other personal financial details. So if he isn't tax compliant, he might not like the fact you'll be claiming RA...

That isn't for a tax rent relief, that is for the rent supplement from the social welfare.

• Advertisement

Sorry! I thought you meant Rent Allowance...:o

Isn't the Rent Relief ceasing soon? And can you back claim??

Isn't the Rent Relief ceasing soon? And can you back claim??

It's being phased out for existing tenants who had rental agreements in place from December 2010.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/credits/rent-credit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

so this wouldnt apply to me as I started renting oct lst year ?

so this wouldnt apply to me as I started renting oct lst year ?

Unfortunately, no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

what if you were claiming it and moved house??

TheDriver wrote: »

I believe that is allowed as it does mention in one of the links I posted above that signing a new lease doesn't impact your status if you were renting somewhere else in December 2010.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

TheDriver wrote: »

Its a new tenancy- so it doesn't count.
    Aka- if you move house, tough- no rent relief.
    Whether or not the landlord is PRTB registered or not- is wholly immaterial.

Aka- if you move house, tough- no rent relief.
    Whether or not the landlord is PRTB registered or not- is wholly immaterial.

I would love to argue that one out :-)
    However, if you were renting at 7 December 2010 you will continue to qualify for this relief even if you enter a different rental agreement after that date. The relief is being phased out and 2017 will be its last year.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tax_relief_for_tenants.html

Does 'different rental agreement' equate with 'new tenancy' (in a different property)?

In any event- claiming rent relief is wholly independent of whether or not the tenancy is registered by the landlord with the PRTB, or not. It would however make a very useful way for Revenue to chase non-compliant landlords......

Does 'different rental agreement' equate with 'new tenancy' (in a different property)?

In any event- claiming rent relief is wholly independent of whether or not the tenancy is registered by the landlord with the PRTB, or not. It would however make a very useful way for Revenue to chase non-compliant landlords......

Devil is in the details and as usual revenue don't have any...thats why I'd take a punt at a claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Years ago I used to get pretty much a full month's rent back from tax office, having rented a place for a year. I got 14 euro back recently as my tax relief after renting current house for over a year!???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Johngoose wrote: »
    Years ago I used to get pretty much a full month's rent back from tax office, having rented a place for a year. I got 14 euro back recently as my tax relief after renting current house for over a year!???

The tax credit is being reduced every year until it will be gone totally soon. Also normally once the rent tax credit is granted in one year, it rolls on into the next meaning you may have already received the benefit of the tax credit. Check your P21 for more info.

Johngoose wrote: »

As stated above- it is being wound down.
    No-one who wasn't renting before 7th December 2010- is entitled to rent relief at all.
    Current relief for all others is capped according to their circumstances- but for a single person under 55 years of age the maximum rent that qualifies for relief in 2014 is 800 Euro- @ 20% = 160 Euro refund (max). If you are only claiming for a portion of the year- its on a pro-rata basis.

I'm not sure how you imagine you got a full month's rent back in the past- it was never set at a particularly high level (I think the maximum refund was about 240 Euro- back over a decade ago- but I don't have the figures in front of me). It was never a significant payment (aka nothing like a month's rent).

I would query a refund of only 14 Euro though- as @ 20% this represents rent relief on only 70 Euro of rent- which seems improbably low. Someone may have messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Of course it counts.

• Advertisement

Icepick wrote: »
    Of course it counts.

In relation to the rent relief legacy, it doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In relation to the rent relief legacy, it doesn't count.

It counts, but only if you have been renting somewhere (doesn't have to be the same place) since 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

It counts, but only if you have been renting somewhere (doesn't have to be the same place) since 2010.

Sorry to bump an old thread but trying to find out am I eligible to claim rent relief. I was renting in 2010 and have been renting since with in numerous addresses.

The place in 2010 was for over a year and definitely registered with PRTB other times it was more casual and I'm not sure of whether the landlord would have registered me or exact dates of when I moved in/out.

I am now living with my girlfriend in Dublin and paying sky high rent to a management company and would like to apply for relief if I can. It seems like too much hassle to claim anything from previous years but could I/we start claiming this now? Presuming I can do it on the Revenue Online self service website it would just be a case of stating what rent you are paying and stating when you started renting? (which was technically 2005 if I go back to my college years, though in about 20 different addresses!)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed any light on this.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Sorry to bump an old thread but trying to find out am I eligible to claim rent relief. I was renting in 2010 and have been renting since with in numerous addresses.

The place in 2010 was for over a year and definitely registered with PRTB other times it was more casual and I'm not sure of whether the landlord would have registered me or exact dates of when I moved in/out.

I am now living with my girlfriend in Dublin and paying sky high rent to a management company and would like to apply for relief if I can. It seems like too much hassle to claim anything from previous years but could I/we start claiming this now? Presuming I can do it on the Revenue Online self service website it would just be a case of stating what rent you are paying and stating when you started renting? (which was technically 2005 if I go back to my college years, though in about 20 different addresses!)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed any light on this.

It's really no hassle to back-claim, it's one form per tenancy, and you will get way more back from earlier years, there's really no point claiming it for this year, it's less than 20/year I believe. Earlier years you could be entitled to hundreds of euros, definitely worth filling out a form!

Advertisement