Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reference check

Options
  • 30-03-2014 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could help me out here, I received a job offer on Friday evening and was told it was contingent on them contacting my current employer on Monday for a reference, I haven't worked anywhere else before, so they said it had to be done. I agreed but have been worrying about it all weekend, as my current employer doesn't know I've been looking for work. I have also heard where someone almost didn't get a job because of a reference this person gave. They are generally nice enough though. I'm just wondering what the appropriate way to tell them they should be expecting a call and if they take back their offer could I lose my current job also?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check if a manager that you get on well with would give you a reference. A company ringing your employer with no advance notice is not good, and you don't know what sort of reference the employer will give, if any at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

I was going to tell him when I got in. They are the person I work directly for so they want to speak with them first. I'm dreading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I was going to tell him when I got in. They are the person I work directly for so they want to speak with them first. I'm dreading it.

It would help if you had a copy of the job description or candidate requirements to hand & your CV - a good manager will ask you for both so s/he canaletto sure s/he keeps it relevant when they call.

You could also say sthing like how you were surprised how quickly they responded & interviewed as you had only applied for one or two jobs on the off chance - far less commute, salary difference too large to be able to ignore ... Struggling with all the new govt taxes ( house, council , concern over water rates in Oct & how you'll manage etc) ...

Advertisement