Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using Lubuntu?

Options
  • 30-03-2014 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭

Hi, Since XP is no longer supported I'm thinking of installing Lubuntu on my Samsung netbook. It's not the most powerful machine (1Gb RAM 1.6 GHz Intel Atom) so thought Lubuntu might fit the bill nicely.

I just use it for surfing the web, I have a PC for everything else.

Does anyone use Lubuntu here? What about virus protection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Lubuntu is great, I've used it many times. LXDE desktop environment is perfect for a netbook with those specs, you also have access to the Ubuntu Software Centre so you can install whatever packages you like from that. No bloatware and runs speedy and efficient.

No real need for antivirus but dont stop being careful about what you download and where you download from. If you want to install an antivirus, ClamAV is a pretty decent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

thanks a million for that propJoe, now about installing it, is it possible to install it on my netbook while also completely removing XP?

thanks a million for that propJoe, now about installing it, is it possible to install it on my netbook while also completely removing XP?

Yep. Download it, and install to either a DVD or USB drive. Boot into it, and during the installation, you'll get an option to either install alongside XP, or delete XP and replace it with Lubuntu. Couldnt be easier really. If you need a program to burn the ISO file to a USB, check out Rufus. Absolutely brilliant tool.

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

There used to be an installer program called Wubi that you ran from inside Windows to install Linux distros, but thats no longer supported or recommended. Booting into it from USB and installing that way is the best way to go now.

Enjoy :)

thanks for the help PropJoe, I finally got around to installing Lubuntu on the netbook last night, rufus wouldn't identify the USB key (a brand new (formatted) San Disk key) so I used UNetbootin.
    Overall a very simple and speedy process.
    The most time consuming part was going through all the crap on the pc to decide what I wanted to keep :D

thanks for the help PropJoe, I finally got around to installing Lubuntu on the netbook last night, rufus wouldn't identify the USB key (a brand new (formatted) San Disk key) so I used UNetbootin.
    Overall a very simple and speedy process.
    The most time consuming part was going through all the crap on the pc to decide what I wanted to keep :D

Nice one. Happy Linux-ing, once you cross over, you never come back :)

• Advertisement

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Nice one. Happy Linux-ing, once you cross over, you never come back :)

not sure about that, I've worked in companies using Unix and I came back to Windows, I don't totally feel proud of that as a developer however :o

not sure about that, I've worked in companies using Unix and I came back to Windows, I don't totally feel proud of that as a developer however :o

Ah I was just kidding, I use Windows on my main PC and laptop and Linux on my old laptop. Windows is great too but for old hardware, you wont get better than a Linux OS, especially now that XP is gone. I actually use Fedora 20 with the LXDE desktop environment rather than the Lubuntu release. I find it runs slightly better than the latest Lubuntu release.

Advertisement