Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best strategy to rent a room/house in Dublin?

Options
  • 30-03-2014 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

I'm trying to rent a room or an apartment, but most people put there only emails, no phone numbers, and most of them don't reply.

Should I try to hire an agent since I can't waist much time on this?

Or is it there any better strategy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Moved from Dublin City to Accommodation & Property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Popescu

I'm trying to rent a room or an apartment, but most people put there only emails, no phone numbers, and most of them don't reply.

I always found rentals by checking the newspapers and asking around neighborhoods. Do not pay more than 35% of your income on rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Lots of reasons to only put an email address, just keep trying.

We don't really have agents here to find you somewhere to live, particularly in a shared accommodation situation. You really have to put in the legwork yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Popescu wrote: »
    I always found rentals by checking the newspapers and asking around neighborhoods. Do not pay more than 35% of your income on rent.

Paying an extra hundred or two in Dublin is the different between living in a 21st Century tenant in a horrible (I will literally live anywhere, but some places in Dublin I wont touch) and a decent apartment in a nice safe area.

Daft is only chance of finding a place. Most LLs dont give number as in experience 80% of calls for questions answered in the ad like how much is the rent? When is it available? People will generally think twice before writing an email Generally if you give the impression that are you too needy or demanding a LL will delete your email.

Renting in Dublin is a numbers game. You just have to keep emailing and emailing. Agents generally make shady LLs look professional. But on the plus side they tend to get **** rents for places, so you might get an apartment or house super cheap from them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

There is a tenant database on Daft for people seeking accommodation. Some landlords source their tenants there as it save the hassle and cost of advertising

• Advertisement
Advertisement