Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binoculars

Options
  • 30-03-2014 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

Luger ST 12 X 50 binoculars

looking at getting a pair of Binos has anyone any experience of these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

What do you want to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

What you normally use them for when your into a bit of shooting.

Great reply hope that works for you. I take it you just want to be smart and don't actually want genuine feed back.

Great reply hope that works for you. I take it you just want to be smart and don't actually want genuine feed back.

Well in fairness I'm asking a question particular to the particular brand and model in the original post. I've gotten a service award at work and have a choice of items I can choose from one of them is a pair of binoculars, I just want to know what peoples impressions are of them.

I am looking for genuine feedback.

I'm trying to decide whether I should hold on to them or flog them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Luger brand optics are sold mainly by the huge German shooting sports company Eduard Kettner, and are made in Germany. However, they are NOT in the same glass-class as the upper echelons of German binoculars and optics -Steiner, Minox, Leitz, Optolyth and so on. Beware also that there are billions of frawks, made in China, of substantially lower quality, also marked up as 'Luger - Made in Germany'.

It's up to you to decide whether you want to keep them or not, having decided whether or not they are frawks.

tac

• Advertisement

Reasons why I asked. In language you might relate to Is if your stalking with them don't bother your bollox. If your fluting about checking paper while doing some target pending on distance they will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I've no experience with the Luger brand but usually 12x50 binoculars are big lumps and I know I would prefer something smaller for carrying round on a hill or having in a jacket pocket.

Binoculars for the field are handier if they are around 8x40-ish. Any bigger magnification can get shaky unless you hold them on a stalking stick or similar. I use a telescope, but then, I like a telescope.

Binoculars for birdwatching - telescopes for stalking. Opinions differ.

tac

I have a nice pair of bushnells which are a 40mm objective but they must have gotten a knock at some stage because you can only see double with the bloody things now. I bought them when I was in South Africa is there anywhere around where they can be repaired or is it posssible to repair them now.

Sadly, any heavy knock on a pair of binos can knock them out of parallel. I effectively lost the use of a nice pair of compact Opticron bins coming back here after a trip home a couple of years back. mrs tac had put them at the bottom of a bag and they had everybody elses stuff piled on top. Result was :=(

The fix was quite pricey here in UK at about £50-70 for re-collimating, depending on the degree of complexity - single or double-bridge design. In my case it wasn't worth the repair cost - they had only cost me $50-60 a few years back. Green Witch are my local to-go dealers and fixers hereabouts, but I'd be amazed if there wasn't an optical dealer in Dublin or Cork who could help you out - if you think it's worth it to do.

These might help -

http://www.connscameras.com

http://www.camera.ie - they have three stores in Dublin .

tac

• Advertisement
Advertisement