Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First triathlon

Options
  • 30-03-2014 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

I want to start training for a triathlon but need some advice.

I am in good shape and work out in the gym regularly but from a cardio point of view I am not fit. Never do any cardio just weights.

I am a fairly poor swimmer. My technique wouldn't be the best.

I am not particularly interested in doing an amazing time just a respectable time.

How long would it take me to train for this and what's the best method for someone of my experience (or lack thereof)?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

How long is a piece of string? You have pretty much the wrong kind of fitness right now. A couple of months would get you around a sprint course but to go longer or get competitive would take a much bigger time investment. More than one season.

But to just tick the box, not long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Oryx wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string? You have pretty much the wrong kind of fitness right now. A couple of months would get you around a sprint course but to go longer or get competitive would take a much bigger time investment. More than one season.

But to just tick the box, not long.
    A bunch of non-tri buddies often ask me a question similar to OP, so if Oryx is happy to wave all copyright infringements, I'm going to use your answer as "a friend once said..." quote to answer future questions! :)

Advertisement