Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trickle Charger, Optimate 4 or 5 or ???

• 30-03-2014 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭

So the cold and my not getting out enough is leading to a battery that won't start the bike, can't bump start it as the pistons are too big, so I'm looking for a trickle charger. Thinking about the Optimate 4 or 5, but want to know if there are better around that price range.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I got the bike it one in halfords and I have to say its brilliant. Cant fault it, and you get 2-3 different mounts for the unit to charge.....Not only does it charge it optimise's if left on.

You can get a cheaper one too for smaller bikes.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_263923_langId_-1_categoryId_212387

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

I have the same one myself and cant fault it either

If you have an Axa Plus Card you get another 10% off the marked price in store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I got the bike it one in halfords and I have to say its brilliant. Cant fault it, and you get 2-3 different mounts for the unit to charge.....Not only does it charge it optimise's if left on.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_263923_langId_-1_categoryId_212387

Crazily overpriced. I'll eat my hat if it can really put 4 amps through a bike battery (smaller, higher internal resistance than a car battery) and that's way above the recommended charging rate anyway, 10% of the amp-hour rating so no more than 1.4 amps for a typical 14Ah battery

Lidl's €10 charger does the same job and is designed to be left permanently plugged in if you want. The only problem is they only have it in stock at certain times.

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    Crazily overpriced. I'll eat my hat if it can really put 4 amps through a bike battery (smaller, higher internal resistance than a car battery) and that's way above the recommended charging rate anyway, 10% of the amp-hour rating so no more than 1.4 amps for a typical 14Ah battery

Lidl's €10 charger does the same job and is designed to be left permanently plugged in if you want. The only problem is they only have it in stock at certain times.

Just telling the fella what I have, I dont work for them....once your happy with your lidl charger happy days. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

This doesn't have trickle charge according to the questions on the site. I need something to leave plugged in to maintain the charge.

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote: »

Doh. Have a couple of Lidl chargers floating around must read the box more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have an Optimate but decided that I also needed another smart charger that would do cars as well.
    I bought the Procharger XL from Louis.de I got it for 79 on offer.
    Having used it for the last 4 months I can say its excellent value as it does both 4 and 1 amp charging for cars and bikes.
    You can leave it connected for long periods no probs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I also have the procharger from louis.de and it great. You can leave it on trickel charge for weeks and most likely more on charge. It does 6v & 12v options. Delivery from louis.de is €10 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I bought a ****ty one in argos for something like 20 quid, the only problem is it doesn't have the 'leave in' connections, you have 2 choices, a DIY job or lift the seat every time you want to plug it in.

But it has brought my battery back to life and is trickling away as we speak!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    This doesn't have trickle charge according to the questions on the site. I need something to leave plugged in to maintain the charge.

It does have a trickle charge mate, its called optimise.....I leave mine plugged in all the time. Optimising is the same thing as trickle charge. Its constantly monitoring the battery and keeping it in the "optimal" condition.

Also with the one I have you get the standard connections for the battery, crocodile clips and the offset power ones that I leave on the bike connected to the battery and run to the side fairing so I just plug it in at the seat. No messing with wires or seats etc.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I have an Oxford solar one and it's does the job well.
    I have the solar panel inside the shed and it still keeps the battery topped up.
    Very happy with it!
    I also fitted a cig lighter socket to the bike so it is just plug and go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

jameshayes wrote: »
    I bought a ****ty one in argos for something like 20 quid, the only problem is it doesn't have the 'leave in' connections, you have 2 choices, a DIY job or lift the seat every time you want to plug it in.

Make up the trailing lead to fit on the moto - waterproof connector required. Or you can buy a complete Optimate one in a 'bike shop.

Then cut off the crocodile clips (leaving 30cm or so of cable attached) and fit 12V power connectors. The charger is more versatile - and more likely to be used.

Soldering the terminals would be best but you should get away with crimping.

It does have a trickle charge mate, its called optimise.....I leave mine plugged in all the time. Optimising is the same thing as trickle charge. Its constantly monitoring the battery and keeping it in the "optimal" condition.

I was working off their questions section where it says it doesn't trickle charge. Good to know it does.

blade1 wrote: »
    I have an Oxford solar one and it's does the job well.
    I have the solar panel inside the shed and it still keeps the battery topped up.
    Very happy with it!
    I also fitted a cig lighter socket to the bike so it is just plug and go.

Was thinking of Solar, I don't keep the bike at my own place so was worried about electric bill but the Optimate claims to be less than €2 per year for constant use. Don't know if it'll get enough sunlight over winter to charge the battery enough to turn it over, it's 1000cc twin.

Unfortunately my cig socket is wired to the ignition so can't charge through it. Was just going to install the extension leads from the battery for whatever charger I get.

Was thinking of Solar, I don't keep the bike at my own place so was worried about electric bill but the Optimate claims to be less than €2 per year for constant use. Don't know if it'll get enough sunlight over winter to charge the battery enough to turn it over, it's 1000cc twin.

Unfortunately my cig socket is wired to the ignition so can't charge through it. Was just going to install the extension leads from the battery for whatever charger I get.

You don't need to use the cig method.
    Also it doesn't seem to need sunlight.
    It's charging once it gets daylight any bit.
    Today is a sh*tty day where I am and it is still charging.

To be honest IMO it's perfect for your situation.
    I think I paid about €40 for it and can't fault it.

Thanks for the info. Just ordered the Oxford Solariser, my little bit to reduce electricity consumption :D

Thanks for the info. Just ordered the Oxford Solariser, my little bit to reduce electricity consumption :D

Are u using it now?
    How do u find it?

blade1 wrote: »
    Are u using it now?
    How do u find it?

Been using it since a few days after I ordered it. Bike starts no problem even when left for a few weeks, used to struggle before, and I've started using the alarm when locked up, was afraid to use it before in case it drained the battery more, and there have been a few cold nights to test the battery. Haven't taken the plug in charger out of its box for nearly a month :-)

Don't have it in direct sunlight and still does the job, may put it in direct sunlight when the days shorten.

• Advertisement

Yeah, they are a good job alright.
    I was a bit sceptical before I got mine as I thought we don't get enough sunlight but I was happily surprised at how little light they need.

Advertisement