Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Delay email batch!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Why is the band so small and why are they recruiting again in May then ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

psni_lad wrote: »
    In order to be eligible for an offer of appointment, you must successfully complete the 5 stages above, and be within the appointable band in order of merit to meet the PSNI requirement from this competition (currently expected to be a maximum of 378).

Yeah I know that, is the appointable band the criteria set out at the start i.e. young people, women, people from poorer/less advantaged areas/backgrounds etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

The e-mail also states that 'those passing automatically continue to the next stage, as outlined above'.

We pretty much know the following is roughly about right:-

Late January: 108 phased to PCA/vetting from the first batch of passes (18 per PCA session, with 3 sessions each day over 2 days)

Late February: 162 phased to PCA/vetting from the second batch of passes with everyone else receiving delay e-mails (18 per PCA session, with 3 sessions each day over 3 days)

Late March: Last batch of AC passes with a seemingly small group phased to PCA/vetting. There were people in the delay group who would have been in either of the two first pass batches (70%+ scorers) but they were given time to achieve their ICT qualification for Deloitte before they could be confirmed as progressing. These candidates are most likely being phased first with some of the high 60s scorers. There's a PCA late April and one mid May from what has been posted and very few seem to have posted anything. There were roughly 20 candidates at the April PCA familiarisation event - usually there were 3 familiarisation sessions, but seems only one this time unless I interpreted it incorrectly.

This is all based on information posted by those who have attended their PCA or familiarisation events, so it's surely not far off the mark. Factor in non-attendance or fails at each step and numbers significantly fall. In the January batch, around 60 odd made it to medical - statistically, from previous campaigns, around 95% attend the medical and 80-82% pass it. Then factor in those not bothering with on-line learning, anyone failing vetting and then those who just withdraw.

It really does seem to be a waiting game until we're all phased and the information now coming out from different sources would certainly seem to confirm that.

Cromlech wrote: »
    Yeah I know that, is the appointable band the criteria set out at the start i.e. young people, women, people from poorer/less advantaged areas/backgrounds etc?

I take appointable band to mean being in the top 478 (100 + 378 further secured) after all the five stages have been completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭vickmackey

i agree....just have to wait and see....as frustrating as that is.....no point getting into hypothetical situations as its just even more frustrating....we should all get our chance at PCA....then just wait on next stage...
    really appreciate those who are at various stages ahead of us still waiting, who have been good enough to give feedback to us.

Clare1304 wrote: »
    Went to my event today which was good. Was told a few things.
    If we pass these next stages we're in. They are doing intakes right up until January. New campaign in May and another one this time next year.
    It's just a waiting game but there is most definitly light at the end of the tunnel, a flashing blue light to be precise ;)
    sorry Clare, meant to ask....did it set your mind at ease any??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Clare1304

vickmackey wrote: »
    sorry Clare, meant to ask....did it set your mind at ease any??:confused:

I think like most girls I'm worried but yesterday definitly helped me and gave me more confidence about the push pull. Just need to give it my all!

GOOD! best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Sthm, are you sure its 378 +100? Im thinking its 378 total?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

They said it was 478. 100 initially then a further 378.

Hopefully anyway.

That's what's the ass chief con said

• Advertisement

Im just going by what the email said, I take it the ACC said this after?

Yeah my email said 378 but I think the first batch who all moved through many moons ago were the100.

I could be wrong. Just try to stay positive!! :-)

The ACC said it in a newspaper report.

well if he said it :)
    I think we will have a good shot at this. :) dont understand why they will start new campaign next month though, did anyone try to contact PSNI for merit number?

Don't know what the craic is with this apparent new campaign in the summer then !

I was so close to it but then read AC results email and they said don't contact them unless they contact you! If a new campaign is launched I might email to find out where abouts they are with us to know if I should def apply.

Well I'll apply anyway would just like to know if my chance is over for this run

For the sake of fairness and professionalism on their part, it would be nice to be kept in the light in some form, it's not hard to send out a batch email ! :o

Yeah preferably please report to GV to start training next month :-)

dont see why it would be difficult to let us know where we are on the list, the obviously have one so whats the big deal?

Sthm, are you sure its 378 +100? Im thinking its 378 total?

http://www.psni.police.uk/general__psni_recruiting_figures
    “Initially, 100 successful applicants will attend the Police College, Garnerville [...]

Subject to securing additional funding, we hope to be able to appoint up to 378 further student officers from the merit pool of candidates generated by this recruitment campaign.” Deputy Chief Constable Gillespie said.

That's what the story seemed to always be anyway! It does state 'up to 378 further student officers'. As far as I understand, the funding for the initial 100 officers was already secured under 2013/14 budget and the PSNI were then trying to secure funding for a further 378 under the 2014/15 budget. They received that funding under that recent letter sent round that stated they have secured funding for 'almost 400 officers' this financial year.

I am a bit baffled as to why the e-mail says 378, but it may just be ignoring the initial 100 because they'll be filled by people in batch one and two.

Edit: Same as this article - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-24154684
    The plan is to recruit 100 new officers before the end of the current financial year in April 2014.

During the following financial year, it wants to recruit a further 378 officers.

That is a total of 478 new officers, but it will only be possible if the Department of Justice and the Stormont Executive can guarantee the necessary long-term funding will be in place.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd read it the same way as you! :-)

I'm hoping once the next squad is announced and this current PCA batch they will move onto us!

Wonder if a new campaign will have different criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LadyVernal

also got a B - 68 and checking my emails everyday...

oztop1234 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd read it the same way as you! :-)

I'm hoping once the next squad is announced and this current PCA batch they will move onto us!

Wonder if a new campaign will have different criteria.

Fingers crossed!

I'd like to see the hiccups of this campaign ironed out in the next campaign e.g. requirement of an ICT qualification prior to applying and the checking of GCSE & ICT certificates at IST.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ptsb1

I have it on good authority that less than 70 are through all stages to date and it is going to be difficult for them to get the required numbers from those who have passed the ac so far. Apparently the pca is taking a lot more out of the competition than originally thought. This would explain the rumour of another campaign about to kick off. It is looking good for all us Bs but we need to be careful on the pca, so we need to keep up the training!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

Don't stress about the PCA, it's not easy, but then neither will it be easy chasing some unpleasant member of society and then having to wrestle him!

If you put in the hard yards training and give it your absolute best effort then you will pass - that goes for the girls too! I think some girls are now thinking they don't stand a chance but that is absolutely not true. Positive mental attitude and adrenaline will make you faster and stronger on the day!

ptsb1 wrote: »
    I have it on good authority that less than 70 are through all stages to date and it is going to be difficult for them to get the required numbers from those who have passed the ac so far. Apparently the pca is taking a lot more out of the competition than originally thought. This would explain the rumour of another campaign about to kick off. It is looking good for all us Bs but we need to be careful on the pca, so we need to keep up the training!

Thanks for this. I can understand a new campaign then.

Hopefully hear soon:-)

• Advertisement

ptsb1 wrote: »

I hope this is true but if it were surely they would be pushing to get us through the remaining stages rather than start another campaign so soon.

Bear in mind the next recruitment campaigns first intake will probably be May next year in line with the financial budgets, So that gives us lots of time!

We all must want it a lot to be sitting here talking about it on a Friday night! :-)

We will all be in the next batch of PCA's!

This in theory should be the fittest bunch because we will have had the longest time to prepare

haha yes but I procrastinate so it doesnt make a difference If im invited to PCA tomorrow or in 4 weeks!

Fair point and I appreciate the information that everyone is passing onto those of us still waiting, but there seems to be alot of speculation on numbers going through and failing. To be honest I personally believe that a number of 70 through so far is hard to believe, given the volume of applicants. I would just hate to think that many of us are getting our hopes up based on a rumor someone else has heard.

For me personally it would mean a great deal to be successful in this campaign and be in G.V. asap. I'm sure others feel the same, it would be a shame if there were a few on this forum creating false hope.

• Advertisement

p.s still having a cheeky bottle of red and a few smokes!

oztop1234 wrote: »
    We all must want it a lot to be sitting here talking about it on a Friday night! :-)

We will all be in the next batch of PCA's!

This in theory should be the fittest bunch because we will have had the longest time to prepare

We have all dedicated alot of time to this, we do deserve it. We want to serve our local communities, but have to jump through hoops to do so. Hopefully our perseverance will pay off.

Cromlech wrote: »
    Fair point and I appreciate the information that everyone is passing onto those of us still waiting, but there seems to be alot of speculation on numbers going through and failing. To be honest I personally believe that a number of 70 through so far is hard to believe, given the volume of applicants. I would just hate to think that many of us are getting our hopes up based on a rumor someone else has heard.

For me personally it would mean a great deal to be successful in this campaign and be in G.V. asap. I'm sure others feel the same, it would be a shame if there were a few on this forum creating false hope.

I don't want to get lured in by false hope either, so I'm remaining realistic but all-in-all positive. Someone in the first batch was informed by staff at his/her medical that around 60 odd were attending the medical, meaning around 60 odd of the 108 passed the PCA in the first batch.

As far as I'm aware, the first batch are the only ones to complete everything so far. Only based on the information posted here and crude calculations, I'd say it's not far off the mark to have 50-70 candidates completed everything right now. I would have reckoned more towards the 50s after medical no-shows and fails (and online learning / vetting issues).

There are at least 2 more batches of people who will be doing the online learning - noticed it on the e learning site

19087 wrote: »
    There are at least 2 more batches of people who will be doing the online learning - noticed it on the e learning site

Are class names/codes listed on it or something?

Yes, there are group numbers and and dates the online learning for each group will start and end. I don't really want to give any more than that away though, as it's information only available to people who are currently doing their online learning and therefore maybe shouldn't be in the public domain!

19087 wrote: »
    Yes, there are group numbers and and dates the online learning for each group will start and end. I don't really want to give any more than that away though, as it's information only available to people who are currently doing their online learning and therefore maybe shouldn't be in the public domain!

Totally understandable :)

Thanks though!

Medical passes have landed today! Maybe new vetting forms will be sent out!

Despite the antagonising wait, things seem to be running pretty smooth. Around this time last month, the first batch had found out their medical result. A week or so later, the next batch received vetting forms and PCA invite.

Speculation: Next batch will start being phased in a couple of weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 elspeth flash

I got a letter today confirming that id passed medical

• Advertisement

Just some crude maths and speculation as we all wait patiently.

Previous campaigns, it was the norm to have around 1,000+ on the merit list. Previous ACs, before they changed the format this year, were marked out of 70. Merit positions in relation to AC scores are littered all over this subforum over the years with this thread a decent reference - http://boards.ie/thread/2056016209/

The vast majority of the 70%+ scorers have been phased through the next stages in the first two batches. The first two batches comprised of around 270 candidates in total - from the numbers quoted by posters in both batches.

I know you can't really compare this year's AC scores to previous campaigns due to it being a different format, but looking at it this way - 70%+ would be equivalent to 49+/70 in previous campaigns. Going by old posts on here, the merit numbers stretched all the way up to around 1,000 by the time you got to candidates who had scored 49/70 in previous campaigns. However, this year there have been around 270 (and a small number in the delay group) who scored above 70% or 49+/70.

Of course, there could still be 100s upon 100s in the B group left to be phased. Make of it what you will the calculations above - all speculation, but it's all we can do at this stage whilst waiting. :D

(Essay over)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Maverick89

I think the merit scores worked slightly different in the last campaign due to 50/50. It was possible for a RC with a score in the 600's to get a place and for a NRC with a score in the 300s not to get in. Those numbers I listed are totally speculative and by no means accurate.

You'd imagine they will need to progress a new batch soon with PCA's this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭col212

I got vetting forms today, i got 67 at ac.

Nice one!

I got 65. Will have to wait until I get home

No post for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Yorkist

My partner just received vetting forms this morning, she got 67, so they are progressing as expected. Good luck to everyone waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgtmort

Hi all, so I'm a delayed person, scored 82% in ac and had pca this morning. 16 there, 2 didnt turn up. All but 4/5 wer female. About 8 of us passed. Good luck to those yet to do it. Bit of advice, don't worry about the wall or things, u get to try these before. I also hit a cone and had to re do the cone zig zag thing again. I gave 80% on first lap and was tired after, 70% on second lap and was dead bt 3rd lap, that's when I hit a cone but just kept going! The push pull, I'm a 5ft 3 lady and had no bother with the push pull height.
    Give it ur all, don't give up and keep pushing till u finish the 3rd lap. Sprint to that final cone, 1 second cud be a pass or fail!

Did they say anything about progressing more people?

• Advertisement

Sgtmort wrote: »
    Hi all, so I'm a delayed person, scored 82% in ac and had pca this morning. 16 there, 2 didnt turn up. All but 4/5 wer female. About 8 of us passed. Good luck to those yet to do it. Bit of advice, don't worry about the wall or things, u get to try these before. I also hit a cone and had to re do the cone zig zag thing again. I gave 80% on first lap and was tired after, 70% on second lap and was dead bt 3rd lap, that's when I hit a cone but just kept going! The push pull, I'm a 5ft 3 lady and had no bother with the push pull height.
    Give it ur all, don't give up and keep pushing till u finish the 3rd lap. Sprint to that final cone, 1 second cud be a pass or fail!

Oh and well done! Congrats!

Advertisement