Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name of these rich pink flowers?

• 30-03-2014 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Does anybody know the name of these deep pink flowers? I saw them in Malta in July, so my second question is: would they flower like this in Ireland?

We are looking for a colourful wallflower to grow into the trellis on the large white wall in the back garden.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

They look like Bougainvillea which is very frost sensitive. I doubt if they could surive even the mildest of Irish winters if grown outside. You could grow them in a large container, keep it in a glasshouse/conservatory over winter and move it outside for the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agreed, lottpaul is right about bougainvillea and about it being a tender plant.

There are some climbers that would produce a pink flower, but nothing that would produce that profusion in Ireland. Probably a rose would be your best bet, but they don't tend to have a long flowering period. Combine a carefully chosen clematis with the rose and that would prolong the flowering period.

You could get pink from a perennial sweet pea (or indeed an annual sweetpea if you were willing to re-grow them each year). There is a blue solanum which flowers well. Honeysuckle is another possibility.

Which way does the wall face, is there a good space of open earth at the foot of it to plant things in?

Advertisement