Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software dev outside Ireland

Options
  • 30-03-2014 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

So I'm three years into my first job after graduating and I'm feeling the itch to head somewhere else. I'm pretty set on leaving Ireland and am looking to hear about the software situation abroad, where are we in demand?! :) I suppose I'm mainly thinking of Canada or Europe. Would love to hear from any of our expat boardsies!

My experience is in client side dev, C++, if that makes any diff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Start with places you don't need a visa to work in - that means the EU. Lots of demand elsewhere, but the visa application process can take ages and be really tedious, start applying now I suppose. You will be able to get a skilled worker visa for many places (like oz) tho - software development is specifically listed as a desirable skill in many countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Yeah no visa hassles would be good :) I know of course London is booming, but anywhere else in the UK that I should be taking a look at? Edinburgh seems pretty cool and has some interesting companies there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

c_man wrote: »
    Yeah no visa hassles would be good :) I know of course London is booming, but anywhere else in the UK that I should be taking a look at? Edinburgh seems pretty cool and has some interesting companies there.

If you want to dev in the UK, London is the only really worthwhile option.

Advertisement