Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you get your job?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Did apprenticeship , got job, lost it after twenty years.Went to college,unexpectly got a new job.
    Applied for another job , passed an assessment and an interview but during the interview I decided the interviewers were arseholes and wasn't expecting to get that job....I got that job and turned it down.
    Just before that I got placed on a panel for a nicer job , but last month my old contract was extended and was told I was being considered for a new position but its a secret so I'm not telling anyone , tonight however I came close to strangling a client , so on the way home I bought some chips and lucozade so I'm happier now.

I applied for my previous job and got it after doing a practical aptitude test. They closed down about 18 months ago and I got my current job by getting in touch with one of their old clients, who took me on almost immediately. Was so lucky but it was very much a case of "who I knew".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Jizz mopping just runs in my family.

So you could say I followed in my father's sticky footprints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Dropped out of college and ended up in FAS ballyfermot cos my dad knew a bloke that worked there and he put me on a course in Microcomputer maintance. That was 20 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Popescu

Worked part-time as a student. I've had several jobs after my first degree. Read the appointments section in newspapers. Followed up with telephone calls, attended job recruitment fairs, and read professional papers for new openings. I was never unemployed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I was always interested in it, as early as I can remember.

Filled out an application form
    Did a medical
    Passed a fitness test
    Passed the interview and was told "we'll call ya"
    Did my LC
    Got a crappy job for 5 months then got called saying "turn up here at this time, bring this, don't bring that"

....14 years later and couldn't be happier!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Degree
    Grad program
    Got some leadership experience
    Business school
    Interview x4
    New job in industry I always wanted to be involved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Watched people digging ditches, became an apprentice ditch digger. Dug ditches for other people, then started digging a few ditches on the side after work, started digging ditches for myself as a self-employed ditch digger, then hired a lad to help dig the ditches quicker.

Got bigger ditches to dig so hired a few more lads to dig them with me, then I started having more lads digging ditches than I could keep track of so I got a girl to keep track of the ditches and the lads, now I spend most of my time getting new ditches to dig, but still dig some myself in case I forget how to dig a ditch and start getting lazy and fat.

I'm starting to forget how to dig a ditch though but happily the eldest lad appears to enjoy digging ditches so he digs them with the lads instead of me. I tend to smoke a lot and drink coffee, and stand watching lads dig ditches.

So much dig and ditches in that comment.....:eek:. I think my brain was doing somersaults reading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 GuyFawkes

Greyfox wrote: »
    I took a year off to figure out what I wanted to do with myself and got a job in customer care...9 years later I'm still working in ccare, its too late now to have a career :(:(:(

God no! It's not too late! Not unless you're 60+!?

Look at this way - if you've 20+ (even less) years work left in you, spend it doing something you'd like. Study part-time, something. There's a way. Just go for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I followed some people into the building and sat down at a computer and started typing did this for four weeks. Then they were giving out payslips and I said I didn't get one they said I wasn't on the system so they put me on and gave me a new security card when I said I lost mine. There nine years now.

or maybe it was through linkedin ya I think it was through linkedin.

• Advertisement

GuyFawkes wrote: »
    God no! It's not too late! Not unless you're 60+!?

Look at this way - if you've 20+ (even less) years work left in you, spend it doing something you'd like. Study part-time, something. There's a way. Just go for it. :)
    +1 million

My job isn't the biggest thing out there but the big difference is that I love doing it. Don't waste your days doing something that you're not overly keen on. :)

Karsini wrote: »
    +1 million

My job isn't the biggest thing out there but the big difference is that I love doing it. Don't waste your days doing something that you're not overly keen on. :)

It'll probably take me 4/5 years to get where I want to be (for a modest salary) but to hell with it, going to do it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

GuyFawkes wrote: »
    It'll probably take me 4/5 years to get where I want to be (for a modest salary) but to hell with it, going to do it. :)

At least you know where you want to be.....

I want to do everything.......it's very frustrating!! I don't know what I'm at or where I'm going......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I went into a place my mate was working in to hand in a c.v. The guy at the trade counter had a quick look at it, recognised a few former bosses, and then recognised me. It turns out he is the MD, but back 15 years before that when I dealt with him, we were both spotty 18 yr olds. No interview, started the next morning. My mate strolled into the canteen, saw me and said "what the fcuk are you doing in here!"
    I'm there 5 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Lots of courses, a keen interest and a teeny tiny sprinkle of who ya know ;)!
    Love love love my job!!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Did you study in order to get where you are now?

I'm in IT at the moment, mainly because i LOVE technology.

didn't study in college, spent every day since i was about 12 working with computers, trying everything (programming, web design, hardware/software testing, repair, recording, graphic design etc.) and i'm 23 now. It's all stood to me, as i work for a global tech company now. Only problem with this is i don't have an actual degree, that makes the job hunt harder.
    Doyler92 wrote: »
    Did someone you know sort you out with the job? how did you get into your career?

I was on the dole for months about 2 years ago. Moved to galway, got a Jobsbridge as an IT helpdesk/Network admin in an organization in galway. About 2-3 months before that ended i spent every day checking all the job sites and mailing out c.v's.

Luckily i got my current job from doing that. (although i must have sent out 100-200 c.v.'s but only got a handful of interviews).

So, really hard work, experience, and a lot of searching got me where i am today.

truedoom wrote: »
    I'm in IT at the moment, mainly because i LOVE technology.

didn't study in college, spent every day since i was about 12 working with computers, trying everything (programming, web design, hardware/software testing, repair, recording, graphic design etc.) and i'm 23 now. It's all stood to me, as i work for a global tech company now. Only problem with this is i don't have an actual degree, that makes the job hunt harder.
    I'm the very same. Not much on paper but have a keen interest and a lot of experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I applied for the last five or six jobs I've had, no contacts or anything just cv and cover letter. Actually come to think of it, have never gotten a job through knowing somebody or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

went to school
    got leaving cert
    went to college
    got a degree in english and philosophy
    stayed in college
    did a masters in english
    emigrated to uk
    saw an ad for a job in a bookshop
    did an interview and worked in a bookshop
    a year later i saw an ad for a management job in a nearby design agency
    did interview and worked in the design agency
    stayed a few years and came back to ireland
    saw an ad for a similar role in an ad agency
    did an interview and worked in an ad agency
    didn't like boss - chucked in job after four weeks
    saw an ad for a job in a direct marketing company
    did an interview and worked in a direct marketing company
    wasn't impressed with company but couldn't chuck another job in so soon after previous - stayed a year just to make sure my cv didn't start looking dodgy
    then i saw an ad for a branding agency in Cork (location was now important)
    did an interview and worked in a branding agency in cork
    realised i was sorta good at writing (which i had known at eighteen and then forgotten over the following decade)
    started writing again - packaging copy, radio ads, websites - anything that needed words
    went freelance and quickly picked up copywriting work from a design agency, an ad agency, a direct marketing company and a branding agency I happily had contacts with
    business went from strength to strength - and then inevitably from interesting and fulfilling to boring and repetitive
    but then herself got pregnant and had a baby and wanted to go back to her work and I said I don't like the idea of a creche
    so without any ad and without any interview, without any experience and without any training, I embarked on what would turn out to be my longest stint in any one position - it was badly paid (in fact it didn't pay at all), the hours were terrible (often involving late nights, early starts and regular broken sleep) and the work itself was often demanding and monotonous

still - i have to say it's been the best job of the lot - he's in school now and I'm so proud of him when he tramps up the steps every morning (not to mention relieved to have 5 hours to myself to get more of that damn novel written - yup that's the next job!)

Hmmm. Got a contract for a hospital pharmacy job at beginning of 4th year of uni. Still there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

alfa beta wrote: »
    went to school
    got leaving cert
    went to college
    got a degree in english and philosophy
    stayed in college
    did a masters in english
    emigrated to uk
    saw an ad for a job in a bookshop
    did an interview and worked in a bookshop
    a year later i saw an ad for a management job in a nearby design agency
    did interview and worked in the design agency
    stayed a few years and came back to ireland
    saw an ad for a similar role in an ad agency
    did an interview and worked in an ad agency
    didn't like boss - chucked in job after four weeks
    saw an ad for a job in a direct marketing company
    did an interview and worked in a direct marketing company
    wasn't impressed with company but couldn't chuck another job in so soon after previous - stayed a year just to make sure my cv didn't start looking dodgy
    then i saw an ad for a branding agency in Cork (location was now important)
    did an interview and worked in a branding agency in cork
    realised i was sorta good at writing (which i had known at eighteen and then forgotten over the following decade)
    started writing again - packaging copy, radio ads, websites - anything that needed words
    went freelance and quickly picked up copywriting work from a design agency, an ad agency, a direct marketing company and a branding agency I happily had contacts with
    business went from strength to strength - and then inevitably from interesting and fulfilling to boring and repetitive
    but then herself got pregnant and had a baby and wanted to go back to her work and I said I don't like the idea of a creche
    so without any ad and without any interview, without any experience and without any training, I embarked on what would turn out to be my longest stint in any one position - it was badly paid (in fact it didn't pay at all), the hours were terrible (often involving late nights, early starts and regular broken sleep) and the work itself was often demanding and monotonous

still - i have to say it's been the best job of the lot - he's in school now and I'm so proud of him when he tramps up the steps every morning (not to mention relieved to have 5 hours to myself to get more of that damn novel written - yup that's the next job!)

Do you design pyramids by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 alrightso

Got a temp job after college in a shipping office and 9 years later still in the same industry.. logistics, haulage, with different companies over the years..
    The money and my experience have grown which is great but so have the stress levels.. am now hallucinating from lack of sleep and dreaming about containers when I do sleep.. but its all good. Had no interest in it to begin with couldn't imagine doing anything else now :D

maguic24 wrote: »
    At least you know where you want to be.....

I want to do everything.......it's very frustrating!! I don't know what I'm at or where I'm going......

I went through a few years of that myself. You go around the twist over thinking it, but you can't help it. One day something will just fit into the kind of life you want to have. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Hundreds of CV's.
    Scores of Interviews, presentations & rejections.

Finally my mother took pity on me & asked a friend to give me a job.

Violà.
    :(

Sorry - that's my last job / my FIRST job my brother got me. He was sent down & told to ask for me by my mother :0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Had to take time off from a very high paying sales job because of tonsil problems, came home from the capital to have them out, got an equally high paying sales job in my locality, randomly handed in a cv to a well established business in the wider local area and got offered a higher paying sales position. That was the latter end of 2006 and i'm still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I'm still in university :rolleyes: - 6 years straight; degree, then masters and now I'm in my first year of a PhD. It wasn't how I imagined my career path to go, but an opportunity presented itself at the time. Someday I will have a real job....someday.... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

I have some temp work teaching English in a language school. I did my Teaching Cert there, so they already knew me. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

Nepotism got me the job, ability and showing an interest has helped me keep it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Phone interview, then tacking a face to face interview on to a weekend where I was visiting my OH in London. Moved over 2 weeks later to move in with him and start working.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭asteroth

Hundreds of CV's.
    Scores of Interviews, presentations & rejections.

Finally my mother took pity on me & asked a friend to give me a job.

Violà.
    :(

Sorry - that's my last job / my FIRST job my brother got me. He was sent down & told to ask for me by my mother :0

So you became a musician?

Advertisement