Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Top Three Guns

Options
  • 30-03-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi there,
    I am new to the fourm but I have been lurking around here for months learning about this site.

My question to ye is if you had to have three guns only what would they be and for what purpose. I have only one gun. It is a Lakefield Marksman III .22lr for farm use. I believe Lakefield went to Savage Arms. I use it for target practice, pest birds ect and for mercy dispatches if I have to.
    Just a fun topic and to see other peoples answers :)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

1. A Bleiker .22 rifle. I own one and it's fantastic to shoot. I couldn't see myself shooting any other .22 bolt action rifle and enjoying it as much.
    2. My .22's bigger brother in 6mm BR for shooting 300m ISSF competitions. Maybe one day... :)
    3. I don't know what #3 would be, but it would have to be a fun gun. Maybe an M1 Carbine clone (I shot one of these years ago and it was lots of fun). I'd be tempted by a pistol – again, lots of fun – but I'd probably stick to a rifle of some sort. I'm a terrible shot with a pistol and while shotgun's a bit of craic it's not really my thing.

Of course, limiting it to 3 makes it tricky. If I had unlimited money, unlimited time and unlimited ability to license stuff I wouldn't be able to move for the amount of guns I'd have. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sull576

Limiting it to three makes you think more practical and what you need it for :)
    My second would be a Mossberg 500 for crows when they attack bales and crops. I would want a Mossy for for the odd pheasant and duck that I see roaming the land, but I guess I would leave them live as they are nice to have around and go to a gun club.
    My third would be a Henry .22WMR for foxing during lambing. I have a soft spot for lever actions and love old American guns. If I find the .22WMR would not suit I would change it for a Model 700 .223

Sull576 wrote: »
    what you need it for :)

Need? What is this "need"? What about "want"? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If it's just for sh*ts and giggles then it'd be:

Cheytac M200 (.408 cal)

Cheytac+M200+Intervention+Airsoft.jpg

Sig Sauer P226 X6 PPC with front compensator (like my old P226 X)

l_ssp226x6ppc.jpg

Finally, Beretta 692 Sporting. Cos ya gotta keep it a little sensible. :D

beretta_692_sporting_adjustable01.gif
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

IRLConor wrote: »
    Need? What is this "need"? What about "want"? :D
    If ya had no choice but had to have any three guns that would do for whatever your situation is be it for targets, hunting, feck it zombies if it had to be. Your choice between want and need ;)

Seemingly throwing in a double barrel makes everything more sensible

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Sull576 wrote: »
    ........., feck it zombies if it had to be.......... Seemingly throwing in a double barrel makes everything more sensible
    Ya can laugh, but ever seen a zombie movie where some guy didn't have a double barrel?

Plus out of those three it's the only one likely to be licensed here.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Main lad in Zombieland was armed with one.
    More then likely against a .408

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Here's my four::rolleyes:

12ga - Remington 870
    22lr - Ruger 10/22
    30-06 Remington 700
    45acp - Colt 1911

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

As Cass said if its for 'sh1ts and giggles' .........then its got to be

1. A AR platform in .308
    2. A very bespoke over and under
    3. Replica 'Broom Handle' in 9mm

But as I will shortly go to sleep and later wake in an all too real world I belive my existing gun cabinet covers most bases of the dear old republic......

1. 22LR Bolt action cw moderator
    2. 243Win cw moderator
    3. 12g Shotgun (at present I have a preference for an auto but an o/u would do)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Popescu

Start them young with these three rifles for Christmas. They will be members of the NRA as teenagers. The family that plays together, stays together.

Christmas-Guns_zps8204363d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭BillyBoy13

IRLConor wrote: »
    1. A Bleiker .22 rifle. I own one and it's fantastic to shoot. I couldn't see myself shooting any other .22 bolt action rifle and enjoying it as much.
    2. My .22's bigger brother in 6mm BR for shooting 300m ISSF competitions. Maybe one day... :)
    3. I don't know what #3 would be, but it would have to be a fun gun. Maybe an M1 Carbine clone (I shot one of these years ago and it was lots of fun). I'd be tempted by a pistol – again, lots of fun – but I'd probably stick to a rifle of some sort. I'm a terrible shot with a pistol and while shotgun's a bit of craic it's not really my thing.

Of course, limiting it to 3 makes it tricky. If I had unlimited money, unlimited time and unlimited ability to license stuff I wouldn't be able to move for the amount of guns I'd have. :D

That Bleiker is a very nice peice of kit you have there. If only I had a spare €K's lying around that I didn't need..... :pac:

Can I ask, how do you reassemble it consistently time after time? Id be worried about my DOPE changing if I took it apart like that.

BillyBoy13 wrote: »
    That Bleiker is a very nice peice of kit you have there. If only I had a spare €K's lying around that I didn't need..... :pac:

Yup, it's expensive. Still cheaper than the home I had to buy to get a place to store it. :pac:

EDIT: If you're ever in Midlands when I'm there feel free to come and say hi and have a go of my rifle.
    Can I ask, how do you reassemble it consistently time after time?

A torque wrench. :)
    Id be worried about my DOPE changing if I took it apart like that.

Yesterday I was shooting at 50m in Midlands. I cleaned the rifle, disassembled it and stuck it in the safe. This morning I was shooting at 25yd in DURC. I assembled the rifle, put 10 clicks on the sights to bring them to 25yd and the first round was a 9 at 3 o'clock. That told me what windage I had from yesterday, so I clicked it into the 10 and I was sighted back in.

I wouldn't trust a rifle that couldn't do that. If you can't be sure that the rifle doesn't change significantly when dismantled, how do you know it's not changing when you put it in the safe, in a bag, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Shotgun - Benelli Vinci Black (cos I can't afford one)
    Pistol - FN Five-Seven (cos I'm not allowed to have one)
    Rifle - Accuracy International AW50 (cos it's feckin massive!)

And I'll take a fourth one since the zombies are coming - a GAU/8 Avenger 30mm seven barrel rotary cannon (4200 rounds per minute)mounted on the back of a Czech Tatra 8x8 truck...t'would be handy for grey crows too...:-D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

OK I'll bite.
    Zombie apocalypse/Red Dawn
    AR 10/15 platform in both 223 and 308 Benelli M3 pump/semi
    Or cheap and cheerful Mossberg ,Sten mk2,and 9mm glock or revelant 9mm pistol

Shts and giggles dept
    AR platform prefably the Hydra system with various interchangable cal uppers.

One gun Ireland
    Money no object German drilling in 12 GA and 9.3 rifle barrel
    Budget Savage 20 Ga over 22 mag
    Chiappa M6 12GA over .22lr

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hm. I'm so tempted to say my rifle, my other rifle and my pistol. In fact, because it's true, why not? :D
    1. My air rifle for 10m rifle shooting because that's the most long-lasting fun I've ever had shooting (I've had fun with other shooting disciplines, but nothing's ever been quite so fundamentally, deeply satisfying as getting good at the 10m rifle shooting, which is something I'd never have though I'd have said when I started shooting).
    2. My air pistol for 10m pistol shooting, because that's the most fun I've ever had with a pistol. The thing (I shoot a Baikal IZH-46M) was the cheapest piece of kit I ever bought in this sport at 220 euro, it's the cheapest pistol I know of to run (pay for the pellets and targets and that's pretty much it - 20 quid buys me about six months worth of shooting), it's a bundle of fun even when things go badly (my pistol tends to drop bits of itself on the floor mid-matches which amuses everyone around me), and I know that if I actually focussed on it, the thing is able to put in scores in the 560-570 range which is way above what we've seen in Irish air pistol shooting up until very recently, so I don't *need* to go drop the guts of three grand on a pistol to compete with. And the basics of pistol shooting don't change much - the first time I picked up a .22 pistol I did fairly well with it because of the air pistol shooting, and the fullbore's not that much different from that (you do have different safety issues between single shot and magazine-fed, but that's not so much a shooting thing as an around-the-shooting thing). I occasionally think of polishing the trigger parts a bit to make the pull smoother and the break sharper, but that's not a new pistol, it's just maintenance of an old one :)
    3. My smallbore rifle because while I don't get to do it as much as I'd like (more because of the change of job which has me away from the DURC range than because of anything else really), it's what I started doing, I wasn't really horrible at it, and it's like a comfy old pair of slippers to go back to shooting it.

Every time I think of buying new kit, I keep finding I don't think of new firearms. A RIKA, a new jacket or trousers, a babysitter so I can get more time to shoot, that sort of thing always comes up first these days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I am fairly happy with what I have at the minute. A Mossberg 500, an AyA Yeoman U/O, and a Tikka T3 in .223

The Mossberg is most likely to be thrown in the jeep when heading for the out-farm, and is a very practical tool. Also, its very easy to disable if for any reason your jeep broke down along the road, or some such occurrence. Push out one pin with a biro or whatever is to hand, and put the entire trigger/hammer assembly in your pocket. All that's left is a bit of piping and a lump of wood.

I bought the AyA because I fancied a bit of clay shooting with the mates, and a bit of rough shooting involving lots of walking. Neither of those happened much really, but what would I buy that's simple, light and looks as good, without getting spendy?

The tikka I have just got, and like it a lot. Probably keep it decades. Unless I get the time for deer stalking. Only problem is that by the time I have spare time enough for stalking, I won't be fit for it!

Never shot an Auto, but would like a go sometime. Had a "New Haven" by Mossberg before the 500. Which I think was made as an "own brand" for some American chain store. Much more slick than the new 500,super slippery in fact, lovely. But came with a Select-a-Choke collet type adjustable choke that was awesome in its awefullness, removed it, which left me with an open cylinder, stuck with that for years, then went for the 500 with choke tubes. At the time I got the New Haven, the shop also had a Cased Winchester Ranger , and an Ithaca pump. Often sorry I didn't try the Ithaca, hard to get one nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ruger1894c

For me the three I have to say that I love are my 6mmbr its an rpa and I am extremely happy with it. Never get rid of it.

Next on my list is my ftr rifle great rifle and I will never out shoot it.

Lastly I have to say the fun rifle for me is my 17 hmr. Again it's a savage 17 hmr and it is the go to gun for rabbit and foxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

But came with a Select-a-Choke collet type adjustable choke that was awesome in its awefullness,

Going slightly OT,but why did you find it awful???:confused: I have one for my Mberg 500 and have to say its a neat concept,albeit ugly looking and saves lugging around choke tubes,wrenches and special oils.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The concept is fine, but on my gun, changing from open to full choke moved the pattern up about a yard, and left a yard, at 40 yards!
    If you put a plastic five gallon drum sitting on thr ground and fired at it with an open choke, you would riddle it. Change to full choke, you would be lucky to hit it with 20 pellets.
    Also the reason I like the pumps, I can bring it out the fields checking the sheep at night, and load it with alternate rounds of 0 buckshot and 8 ball. Bad luck for Mr Foxy if he runs across my path. :)

Advertisement