Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help setting up a buisness (media)

Options
  • 30-03-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I want to run a photography and music studio and also do all media work, I have gotten refused any help by Enterprise, Can anyone help me in regards to funding?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

What are you looking for exactly?

Do you have a portfolio? What efforts are you making to spread it around and get people interested in hiring you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 EmzMcDjbabyb

Just start up funding, to have a base for photography and music studio
    I have a portfolio and I have degree in media also

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Can you partner up with someone or work from home?

From your business plan, have you reviewed your startup costs and work out the barebones costs of getting a studio together?

Have you tried to raise the finance personally, like credit union, bank, family & friends?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

First off from reading this your business idea seems to have too wide a focus - you want to do photography, run a music studio and do media work as well. Those are 3 specific areas in their own right, you could maybe tie media work and photography together as a starting point. Setting up a music studio though would have huge costs and unless you have a background in music production and connections I cant see it being a good place to start. Would you not focus your business on providing services in the one you are best at and learn to walk before you try run doing all 3? If you approach the likes of EI or anywhere else with something scattered they arent going to be interested. They want to see innovative ideas that have potential, are focused and well thought out.

Secondly what exactly are you looking for funding for? You said you want it to have a base for a studio. So you want funding to rent an studio? Realistically if you are doing media work you don't need a studio, you can work from home or you could rent a desk in an office share.
    You need to have work coming in - Have you registered a business name, do you have a website showcasing your portfolio? Have you done a business plan outlining projections for the next 3 years and how the business will expand and grow?

Unfortunately funding for startups is limited and you really need to have something unique to get interest. Also you need to show them potential by already having done some of the hard work. No one is going to give funding just based on a portfolio and a college qualification, its too risky when you have no proven business experience so I wouldn't put too much hope in that approach. As another poster said have you looked at personal finance from the bank, credit union, friends and family?

For very little money you could register as a sole trader, get a website up for your business showcasing your portfolio and media services and be looking for clients. You could be doing it from home if it came down to it and meet clients at hotels or their offices. If you can get that off the ground then you have a business and cash flow and options at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 EmzMcDjbabyb

Axwell wrote: »
    First off from reading this your business idea seems to have too wide a focus - you want to do photography, run a music studio and do media work as well. Those are 3 specific areas in their own right, you could maybe tie media work and photography together as a starting point. Setting up a music studio though would have huge costs and unless you have a background in music production and connections I cant see it being a good place to start. Would you not focus your business on providing services in the one you are best at and learn to walk before you try run doing all 3? If you approach the likes of EI or anywhere else with something scattered they arent going to be interested. They want to see innovative ideas that have potential, are focused and well thought out.

Secondly what exactly are you looking for funding for? You said you want it to have a base for a studio. So you want funding to rent an studio? Realistically if you are doing media work you don't need a studio, you can work from home or you could rent a desk in an office share.
    You need to have work coming in - Have you registered a business name, do you have a website showcasing your portfolio? Have you done a business plan outlining projections for the next 3 years and how the business will expand and grow?

Unfortunately funding for startups is limited and you really need to have something unique to get interest. Also you need to show them potential by already having done some of the hard work. No one is going to give funding just based on a portfolio and a college qualification, its too risky when you have no proven business experience so I wouldn't put too much hope in that approach. As another poster said have you looked at personal finance from the bank, credit union, friends and family?

For very little money you could register as a sole trader, get a website up for your business showcasing your portfolio and media services and be looking for clients. You could be doing it from home if it came down to it and meet clients at hotels or their offices. If you can get that off the ground then you have a business and cash flow and options at least.

Thanks guys well my photography buisness is starting pick up so i guess il expand that and the media for now, i do have a good bit of experience in music production but will see how the funds take me, i have set up photography buisness and website for less than 400 :) i have great eye for bargain lol
    Thanks Guys x

• Advertisement
Advertisement