Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching, Learning and everything in between..

Options
  • 31-03-2014 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hello, apologies for disrupting the threads of referenda rants and postgraduate politics but I wanted to get a feel for students opinions on this piece by Professor Sarah Moore, a truly inspiring lady within the university and on the National Forum for Teaching & Learning:

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/comment/opinion/discard-the-student-caricatures/2011964.article

These debates are the core of many of the academic boards I sit on and work with. What I will say that the core of any good teacher is one who inspires you... the student, one who steps away from didactic means of teaching and immerses the learner in discovery and a sense of adventure about a topic (I also understand the difficulties in doing that).

IMO Too many lecturers are too comfortable and relates back to the paradigms of education video HERE I put up some weeks back (I realize it relates to 2nd level) Our students are coming to us with a different knowledge base into a non constructivist mode of teaching and are not stimulated and are quick to disengage.

Anyway that's my piece,

Let me know any thoughts you have on the article.

Paddy

Advertisement