Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To move away or not?

Options
  • 31-03-2014 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

hi
    I am in my mid twenties and am self employed with good wage for the last 3 years. I have been working since I'm 17. i set up my business at 22 and its going very very well and I'm happy with it.
    My partner of 8 years who (is in his late twenties) i have lived with on and off due to his work,has been living/working as engineer in dublin over a year now and no sign of any work coming up back where i am living and where we both are from.
    we only get to see each other for a few hours on sat night and sundays. its getting annoying and this situation is not changing in near future it seems.

since we are both quite young we feel we should move to dubai or new zealand or anywhere for more experience in both work and life in general. I love my business but if I stay running it for next 15 -20 years It will be too late to go travelling and I may regret not doing so. On the other hand I have good steady income so I feel greedy leaving it as I may not be able to set up again when Im back from travelling!
    my partner has nothing to lose and is 100% about leaving ireland as he can gain much more experience abroad work wise.

What should I do?? its 50/50 situation. should i go while I'm young or would i be foolish to leave good job here in ireland?? everyone is saying go when ur young etc but I'm sick trying to decide what to do???

-we don't have a house- just renting
    -we don't have kids

any advice?
    thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@OP - If you decide to relocate, you are more than welcome to request information on the specifics of moving to another country in the Living Abroad forum.

However, in the meantime, I feel that your dilemma is better catered for in Personal Issues forum. Please note that the Personal Issues forum now applies.

All the best,

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I think I'd go.

Can you hire someone to keep your business going while you're away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

Addle wrote: »
    I think I'd go.

Can you hire someone to keep your business going while you're away?

Or would the business fetch a price and leave you with capital to start again wherever you end up? Or start again if and when you come back home?

You had the skills and drive to build a business once, you can do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

OP, I was in the similar situation seven years ago - I walked away from a very good engineering job in order to live abroad. While there are times I think about that decision, I have no regrets about it, as I got to live in some amazing places, and as a result found another line of work that suited the life I wanted to live.

Work, and even businesses can wait. Your youth can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Hi op, I'd really look deeply into it beforehand if you are thinking about New Zealand, I lived there for 18 months and really, really hated it. Extremely limited opportunities, very low wages (and the currency is worthless compared to the euro), plus an extremely high cost of living (everything there is imported), along with a very poor quality of housing. If you are used to a certain level of professional and economic comfort in Ireland, seriously, do not give it all up to go to New Zealand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 movingawaynz

thank you so much everyone for you comments. I will try get someone to take over the business while I'm away , I will talk to my accountant and see what he thinks too. i just can't decide to sell it up to someone else or just have someone run it! I suppose i'm afraid il get homesick and want to come back after a month and all is lost then..
    I think id backpack around new zealand and do any type of work, just to see it all. I just feel like time goes so fast and I only get two weeks consecutively off every year to go anywhere and i need rest in those two weeks so i end up not going far and Id like to see some of the world before i 'settle down'.

I am not naive and thinking Il have easy life and lots of money when I'm abroad so i realise it would be BIG change. I will just keep the saying ''u only live once'' in my head when I'm jetting off ;-)

Thank you to everyone

Advertisement